Konica C7000 and Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 profile

kantblue

Hi can anybody give me some advice.

We have output some sample Greyscale images on our C7000 for a customer. We have a fiery attached and I simpy selected 'Greyscale' on the print driver. The customer has looked at the samples and sent a new PDF where he has attempted to lighten the images.

They are coming out darker though - looking at the previous version, the images are simply 'Greyscale' but in the new PDF they have an ICC profile attached which is called 'Generic Gray Gamma 2.2 Profile'.

I have tried removing the profile, converting to greyscale etc (which does lighten the images onscreen) but no matter what I try the image is always darker when printing than the previous non ICC version.

I hope this makes sense! We don't normally output B/W on the C7000 but for various reasons need to do so with this job.
kantblue

Last edited:
You likely have to go back upstream. Converting a file from ICC-X to ICC-Y does not yield the same result as a file that originated as ICC-Y. When you do an ICC conversion, it associates new density values to preserve appearance within the confines of the profile being converted to - essentially if Gray Gamma 2.2 is too dark, when you convert to a Generic Gray ICC it's trying to make it as close to the Gray Gamma 2.2 as it can rather than outputting what that file would have looked like if Generic Gray were the working space ICC. Either the working space ICC in the application they are designing in or at the point of the initial PDF conversion (or both) is where the Gray Gamma 2.2 profile will need to be changed/removed.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back