Konica Minolta AccurioPress C4080 / C4070 / C4065

Ynot_UK

Looks like these are imminent, with EFI and Energy Star quick off the mark, in advance of a KM press release.
A reliable source mentioned had it not been for Covid, the 40nn series machines would have been launched earlier this year.

Is it just a model number change or has there been any significant improvement?
We will know when KM release the specifications.
I was told its not a game changer hence is more of interest to those of us in the market for a 3070/3080 with a hefty clearance discount, than those excitedly waiting for a new feature set.

I got the inside scoop from my old connections there. Here are the 6 notable upgrades:

1. Upgraded Image Quality – 3600 (equivalent) x 2400 dpi resolution (was 3600x1200)
  2. Duplex long sheets up to 34” (was 30")
  3. Now you can print envelopes with standard fuser (at 1/2 speed) or you can still do it at full speed with a dedicated env fuser
  4. New Accessories that were launched with the C12000 and C14000 will work with the C40xx series:
    1. LS-507 Stacker (now holds up to 6,000 sheets and can be unloaded while running), it was 5,000 sheets and had to stop to unload
    2. Inline Slitter/Cutter (TU-510), can cut down full bleed postcards, business cards, and flyers in-line
    3. External Media Sensor (IM-10), can automatically detect the weight and paper type of the media
  5. IQ-501 now offers "Auto Inspection" (detects flaws in prints like voids) - it already automatically monitored color and front/back registration
  6. Increased paper handling to 360gsm (was 350gsm)

I got the inside scoop from my old connections there. Here are the 6 notable upgrades:

1. Upgraded Image Quality – 3600 (equivalent) x 2400 dpi resolution (was 3600x1200)
The old machines were 1200x1200dpi, does that mean new machines are 2400x2400dpi?

@jwheeler The upgraded resolution is significant and worth waiting for. I understand the UK launch date is the first week in December, presumably later than the US, where the 40nn series is now featured on KM's site. I imagine to achieve this, the toner technology must have been upgraded therefore the new machines won't use TN-619 toners, like it's three predecessors (another reason to wait, thinking ahead from an EOL perspective).
Do you have any word on pricing position versus comparable previous model i.e. 4080 vs 3080? There's no word this side of the pond until Dec.
A couple of other points - in your opinion is the RU-518 worth the extra investment? We will be mainly be printing on coated stocks 135GSM / 250GSM, uncoated stocks 100GSM / 170GSM / 300GSM and occasionally more adventurous substrates such as synthetic film, which I think I've mentioned previously is very static prone.

@jwheeler
Do you have any word on pricing position versus comparable previous model i.e. 4080 vs 3080? There's no word this side of the pond until Dec.
No I don't have access to pricing, but I don't imagine it will be a significant increase
A couple of other points - in your opinion is the RU-518 worth the extra investment? We will be mainly be printing on coated stocks 135GSM / 250GSM, uncoated stocks 100GSM / 170GSM / 300GSM and occasionally more adventurous substrates such as synthetic film, which I think I've mentioned previously is very static prone.
You should first know that it is required with many configurations depending on the finishing equipment you get. But yes, when I used to sell production gear for KM, I would always recommend the RU-518 if they could fit and afford it. There are so many benefits to it:
  1. It is a decurling unit which you can control in either direction to make sure your sheets come out flat.
  2. It has multiple cooling fans to immediately decrease the temperature of your paper
  3. It has built in densitometers to monitor color density on the fly. You can tell the printer to output density check sheets every xx number of sheets and these will exit to a different tray so as not to mix in with your job
  4. The big change on the RU-518 vs the old RU is the added exit tray. This is helpful for the shortest paper path and for sheets that you don't want to pass through any finishing. Sheets from the engine will also automatically exit here if there's a jam in the later finishers. Lastly, the tray is useful for output of banner sheets since it has an extending arm.
Side note, it may sound silly, but I also recommend getting a status light (~$300). We have 4 KM's here at my shop, and when printers/finishing equipment are all running, you can't hear a machine stop through the noise. It's helpful to just look across the warehouse and see the indicator lights that the machine needs attention.

Last edited:
Thanks for that @jwheeler, all useful food for thought. On the finishing side, we're leaning toward the basic OT-510 as we already have a good offline finishing set-up and this will take a decent sized stack of output.

No I don't have access to pricing, but I don't imagine it will be a significant increase

You should first know that it is required with many configurations depending on the finishing equipment you get. But yes, when I used to sell production gear for KM, I would always recommend the RU-518 if they could fit and afford it. There are so many benefits to it:
  1. It is a decurling unit which you can control in either direction to make sure your sheets come out flat.
  2. It has multiple cooling fans to immediately decrease the temperature of your paper
  3. It has built in densitometers to monitor color density on the fly. You can tell the printer to output density check sheets every xx number of sheets and these will exit to a different tray so as not to mix in with your job
  4. The big change on the RU-518 vs the old RU is the added exit tray. This is helpful for the shortest paper path and for sheets that you don't want to pass through any finishing. Sheets from the engine will also automatically exit here if there's a jam in the later finishers. Lastly, the tray is useful for output of banner sheets since it has an extending arm.
Side note, it may sound silly, but I also recommend getting a status light (~$300). We have 4 KM's here at my shop, and when printers/finishing equipment are all running, you can't hear a machine stop through the noise. It's helpful to just look across the warehouse and see the indicator lights that the machine needs attention.
Didn't you forget it has the ability to dejam itself? I think thats a super cool feature. I used to call km service for super nasty jams.

Didn't you forget it has the ability to dejam itself? I think thats a super cool feature. I used to call km service for super nasty jams.
No I didn't forget...it's in number 4. And to clarify, it won't automatically clear the jammed paper. It will automatically exit the rest of the paper (if possible) that was still in various sections of the printer as a result of the jam.

My understanding was it will exit paper up to it and before it. Nothing after it, is that correct? Will it exit paper inside the PF-707m?

Thanks for that @jwheeler, all useful food for thought. On the finishing side, we're leaning toward the basic OT-510 as we already have a good offline finishing set-up and this will take a decent sized stack of output.
Just wondered if you bought the 510 finishing unit? I’m considering a 4080 with booklet maker and possibly the 510 (I think it’s now called the TU-510)

Just wondered if you bought the 510 finishing unit? I’m considering a 4080 with booklet maker and possibly the 510 (I think it’s now called the TU-510)
We bought the OT-510 (output tray) as we have a well equipped offline finishing room and prefer not to have finishing tied to one engine.
The TU-510 is the three sided trimmer unit.

We bought the OT-510 (output tray) as we have a well equipped offline finishing room and prefer not to have finishing tied to one engine.
The TU-510 is the three sided trimmer unit.
Thanks, I realised that after my post. How do you find your 4080? I’m replacing my Canon C800 and considering the 4080. I like the look of the TU-510 especially the perforating for ncr etc but have no idea how reliable it is.

I would recommend the C4080, but not the IC-609 OEM controller. Definitely go for the Fiery alternative.
We didn't really look at any of the inline finishing options.
Whatever you do, test decent quantities of your own jobs on your own substrates to be 100% sure a machine can do what you need it to do.
Pre-set showroom demonstrations are not a substitute for doing this.

Thanks, I realised that after my post. How do you find your 4080? I’m replacing my Canon C800 and considering the 4080. I like the look of the TU-510 especially the perforating for ncr etc but have no idea how reliable it is.
Don't get the TU-510....that a pricey investment for something you'll be getting rid of in 5 years when you upgrade the printer. For perfing sheets, most likely your off-line folder has an option to install a perf wheel. If you want the TU-510 for slitting/cutting/creasing, get a Duplo 618 or similar device that will last 15+ years and not go away with your printer.

Something else to consider...when you have a complicated inline finisher like the TU-510, it will go down occasionally. This will take your whole press down so you can't print until the tech repairs the finisher.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back