Konica Minolta C6501 bizhub - Duplexing from tray 4-12x18

lexcreate

I am not having success in duplexing from tray 4 - 12x18 sheets. Is this even possible, and if so, what can I do to remedy it. Currently when I send the job, once it processes, it hangs in the Fiery screen, but then doesn't print and goes idle. Any advice or feedback would be great. Thx.

Ok, I just duplexed 12x18 sheets from Tray 4 on a KM C6501. However, I use a Creo, but that shouldn't matter. Have you tried playing with your tray settings? I've found that tray settings can really make or break the print job.

For instance, on this machine, for 2-sided printing and stapling, you must set your tray at 22-28 lb. bond (or lower) and for 1-sided printing and stapling, you must set your tray at 20 lb. bond (or lower). Go figure.

I forgot to mention I'm trying to run cover stock, but I don't think it will let me. It is 10pt cover, which may be too thick. I looked at the specs in the manual.

Are you trying to run it as 300 GSM? if so it wont let you print Tray 4 (PFU) will only go up to 256 gsm, just adjust your settings and it should run.

Exactly as Emtri said. Just fake out your machine to think it's running text and run the 10 pt (mine was also 10 pt). You can keep going down until it duplexes.

Also, be sure that the machine knows that you're running 12x18 paper. I know that sounds stupid, but I had to manually input the 12x18 size in my Creo.

You may run into fusing issue with this method. The coated cover stocks fuse at a higher temp than the text weights.
Turning "CPM Down" on usually helps if you're having a problem.

I don't know if this machine lets you change fusing temps in service mode - but if it does - that's your fix.

1) Create a paper catalog entry for your stock (Say 10PT C2S Duplex)

2) Set the paper settings for something you'd never actually use, like 50# coated text

3) In service mode find the fusing temp for said paper type/weight combo and change it to match 300gsm Coated

This will permanently fake out the machine to duplex your heavier coated stocks. Just remember that if you actually run really light weight coated after that it will be a wrinkled mess.

Last edited:
I've found that duplexing Cover Stock (anything 210 G/M2 and heavier) on the KM to be problematic from any source - HiCap or Bypass. Bounce, inconsistencies and more importantly, the machine seems to wear faster in between PM's. I run cover stocks simplex; it seems to take about the same time anyway and causes me a lot less problems.

I am not having success in duplexing from tray 4 - 12x18 sheets. Is this even possible, and if so, what can I do to remedy it. Currently when I send the job, once it processes, it hangs in the Fiery screen, but then doesn't print and goes idle. Any advice or feedback would be great. Thx.

Assuming tray 4 is from PFU? You should be able to do it. Set it as 256gsm, second to last heaviest setting. But I recommend you run it from tray 5. Much much much better registration. I run it on that setting all day long without a single hicup. Good luck.

I've found that duplexing Cover Stock (anything 210 G/M2 and heavier) on the KM to be problematic from any source - HiCap or Bypass. Bounce, inconsistencies and more importantly, the machine seems to wear faster in between PM's. I run cover stocks simplex; it seems to take about the same time anyway and causes me a lot less problems.

Not true if you are running them from PFU especially tray 5.

Yes, tray 5 is a more straight route from tray to output. Less movement, less bounce. I also have had a little bounce, but after adjustment it runs fine. No problems with cover stock at all.

I don't know if this machine lets you change fusing temps in service mode - but if it does - that's your fix.

While this is an option in service mode, the same option is available in the tray settings options for each tray.
There is a upper and lower fusing temp adjustment (print and idle) for each tray, however the adjustment overall is pretty minor and may not solve any of the issues you may be having with things fusing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back