Konica Minolta Pricing & Click Rate Question

Matt23

Hi
Looking at getting in to the digital print side of things, so print volumes will be low until we find our feet. The Main use for the machine would be printing greeting cards (300gsm) and A4 / A3 Prints (150gsm) of old photographs pre-1930 so a lot of black & white prints and colour prints being that soft hand coloured feel. Also the odd short run of flyers etc.

Have been quoted in Australia on the following machines, (Yes I do understand that the 2 machines below are aimed at different markets one being office and the other production)

Any thoughts or ideas on the below machines and pricing for what we are looking at doing?

Konica Minolta Bizhub C280
$21,495 - This includes fiery RIP, Booklet Finisher, & 2,500 A4 sheet large capacity tray. With a click rate of 1.2cents per black impression (A4 size) & 2.3cents per black impression (A3 size) Colour click rate of 10cents per colour impression (A4 size) & 24cents per colour impression (A3 size)

Konica Minolta bizhub PRO C5501
$58,500 - This includes fiery RIP, Booklet Finisher, & A4 sheet large capacity tray. With a click rate of 1.7cents per black impression (A4 size) & 3.4cents per black impression (A3 size) Colour click rate of 15cents per colour impression (A4 size) & 30cents per colour impression (A3 size)

Are thoes numbers in dollars? If so, screw that. Also, demand large clicks at the small click rate. Its almost industry standard now. Don't know your volume and that may be part of the reason. But keep working on that price.

If that is clicks, supplies and maintenance in US dollars that sounds very high.

I run a shop that uses a Xerox DC252 and we pay .0065 per color click regardless of the sheet size. My monthly volume is around 16,000 impressions.

I run things 2 up a lot to save us money. Say for instance a customer has an 8.50 x 11.0 file with no bleeds and asks for 2,000 copies. I 2 up it and run 1,000 copies on 11x17 and cut it in half, thus saving my shop $ 65.00 in click charges. The supplies include: all toners, drums, fuser webs and waste containers.

My click charges regardless of size for color are : 0.065 clicks, supplies and maintenance
My click charges regardless of size for black are : 0.015 clicks, supplies and maintenance

I would make them change your proposal, it sounds like a bad deal.

Also in my 15 years in the industry another VERY important component to make sure that included in your lease (if that's what you are doing) is that everything is fixed for term of the lease. Some clauses in leases are hidden and it says that they reserve the right to increase the maintenance agreement component (click charge) a certain percentage each anniversary date of the maintenance contract.

Its shady and hidden, but this could save you thousands of dollars in the long run if you just hold out and get them to tweak the sheet size charge and make sure any maintenance agreement you sign is fixed. We lease our equipment and I had to have them redo the paperwork several times because they were trying to be slick with the maintenance agreement component.

Good Luck and I hope this info help. If they don't wanna change things just so OK I will investigate my options with another vendor and WATCH how quickly they are willing to make those changes.

I just checked out the specs on the Konica Minolta bizhub PRO C5501 - they are pretty similar in speed to my Xerox DC252, so just keep my number and advice in mind.

Kevin In Philadelphia, PA
USA

Last edited:
I run substantially larger volumes on 2 Xerox 8002's and a Xerox 700. I have an across the board click rate, regardless of size, all inclusive service and supplies except for staples and paper.

.045 cents color and .0089 BW.

I wholeheartedly agree with @kevinphila about keeping lease payments and click rates static throughout the lease term. Also, they should not cap consumables based on page coverage, some Canon contracts have done this according to some posts in these forums.

Good luck!

We just took delivery of 2 bizhubPRESS 7000Ps.
Color clicks at .045 and B&W at .01 (USD). Single click on large stock is a must-have.
In addition to all maintenance and consumables included in the click price, we also had written into the lease that Konica Minolta will remove the machines at their expense at lease-end. They should agree to this easily and will save you some dollars at the end.

Good idea tgrec441

I had Canon screw me with that when I elected not to do business with them, They had me insure the machine and basically broke my balls for returning their POS CLC 3900 that was nothing but a headache during the 60 month term.

Xerox is expensive, but they have a great product and support system. They are hands down the best in customer service, tech support and service techs. I made it my mission to make my shop all Xerox - I have a 6115, 4112, and a DC252 and it is the best combination of machines in any shop I have worked it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back