latest ink cartridges for epson 9880 not being recognized by printer

Hello all, it has been about a year since I had last posted any questions and my 9880 has been chugging along but recently have had an issue with latest ink cartridges from epson not being recognized by printer. If I keep initializing, removing and re-inserting cartridge it will eventually recognize that there is a cartridge and continue on its merry way. So have been doing this until recently when a second cartridge needed replacing and it similarly is not being recognized. So now as i try the reinitialization workaround it is not working because the second cartridge is the left bank of cartridges and the first is in the right. So my "trick" of inserting and re-inserting may work on one side but not the other. Before these 2 cartridges I had a new magenta cartridge that would not be recognized so I had just ordered an old one off ebay and that worked (old stock, "expired") not sure if my current problems are related to "newer" cartridges.

If anyone has any insight into this it would be greatly appreciated!

Although I cannot speak specifically about the 9880, I do have a couple P9000's. Several months ago, Epson announced they were redesigning their ink cartridges for their SureColor series (I...think...it was because of chip shortages but don't quote me on this) and as such, a firmware update needed to be applied to the printer before using the new cartridges. Perhaps updating the firmware on your printer will do the trick? Total guess.

Best regards,
pd

Last edited:
Could be, it has only been happening on cartridges with an expiration date of 2025. Thanks for the suggestion! Will look into it.

If prepressdork's firmware suggestion doesn't work
Compass Micro is an independent Epson parts and service provider who might be of help.
Signs101.com is a wide format specific forum that you might try.

Although I cannot speak specifically about the 9880, I do have a couple P9000's. Several months ago, Epson announced they were redesigning their ink cartridges for their SureColor series (I...think...it was because of chip shortages but don't quote me on this) and as such, a firmware update needed to be applied to the printer before using the new cartridges. Perhaps updating the firmware on your printer will do the trick? Total guess.

Best regards,
pd
This shouldn't affect the 9800 or 9880 as they are Stylus Pro not Surecolor

This shouldn't affect the 9800 or 9880 as they are Stylus Pro not Surecolor
I agree as I could not find any documentation indicating that the Stylus Pro series was affected by the cartridge/firmware change but short of opening a service call and paying Epson the roughly $1400 they now want for a service call, installing a firmware update is easy and free to try as a troubleshooting step.

I had a similar issue with a 7800. Epson told me to power down and unplug it for 10 minutes before powering back up. It worked. EDIT: Power up with the new cartridge in place. I also recall that they said once done, you can't use an older cartridge in that slot anymore.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back