Looking for Advice on Sheet Cutter (Duplo or AeroCut?)

Hi all,

I am looking for a sheet feed cutter (automated) to cut postcards from a 13 x 19 into a 9x6, 4.25 x 6, etc. Tired of guillotine want to move more in an automated direction. Any expereince and your reply would be appreciated.

@Jbrujster (Mailing Guy) , there are several brands to choose from. You can look at Duplo, MBM's AeroCut line, or the Graphic Whizard line. (There are others, but these are the main three you'll see people posting about on PP). I've worked on a Duplo 616 for about 5 years, and now an AeroCut Prime for about 4 years. I would recommend the Duplo 618 (or higher models depending on your volume). There are a number of reasons why, which I've outlined in this post. I can't speak to the GW line, but there are mixed reviews on these forums which you can search through.

We've had both the Aerocut Brand and the Duplo brands and I prefer the Duplo far above the Aerocut brand for... an endless list of reasons. It just a better thought out machine.

I’ve had a Duplo 618 running for the past two years and would say it’s probably the most reliable piece of equipment in the shop. If I had to find a negative it would be that I don’t like the way it creases coated text weight stock. I still get some slight toner cracking. Not a big deal since I just run those jobs on a Rollem. On card stock it’s outstanding at creasing. You can’t go wrong with one of these Duplo machines and if you can afford it go with a faster Duplo. The speed is fine for me because I load it and walk away.

If you’re doing postcards or anything else that needs to stay in sequence make sure you have imposition software that can easily impose for continuous rows instead of just cut & stack.

I’ve had a Duplo 618 running for the past two years and would say it’s probably the most reliable piece of equipment in the shop. If I had to find a negative it would be that I don’t like the way it creases coated text weight stock. I still get some slight toner cracking. Not a big deal since I just run those jobs on a Rollem. On card stock it’s outstanding at creasing. You can’t go wrong with one of these Duplo machines and if you can afford it go with a faster Duplo. The speed is fine for me because I load it and walk away.

If you’re doing postcards or anything else that needs to stay in sequence make sure you have imposition software that can easily impose for continuous rows instead of just cut & stack.
What kind of coated stock are you having problems creasing? We have a 618 and print a lot of super heavy toner coverage and haven't had a problem with cracking, even with 100% K coverage on the crease. YMMV if you are using 80# text because we generally only crease 100#T and heavier.

A couple of things to try (if you haven't already)
1: At the creaser unit, take the cover off and the creasing unit will pull out and there are 2 different creasing options you can switch by turning the creasing unit around. You might have better luck with the other one.
2: In the settings, try adjusting the crease depth. There are 3 different settings.
3: If all else fails, try letting the sheets rest overnight before creasing. Sometimes if the stock is very dry, some ambient moisture reabsorbing will help get a better crease.

Good luck!

What kind of coated stock are you having problems creasing?
I run 100lb gloss text most of the time but I don't have the option of buying what I want, just what's available. So I think it has more to do with the mill that the stock comes from. Matte coated is not an issue just the gloss and mostly Chorus Art.

The crease is still considerably better than no crease and I wouldn't discourage anyone from not investing in the Duplo, it's a great machine.

I do this on my GW SCC, I load and walk away, you will have to change to North/South on your address file that you output out of your presort software so it stays in order.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back