Looking for Trapping in Photoshop

JzTP

Does anyone know whether there got any software or plug-in can help to create trapping in images but still need to keep the layer....

You could create a duplicate from the other layer and place it exactly in place on the top most layer. Then create the trap (everything spreads into black, yellow always spreads, mag and cyan split), then keep the trapping elements and either move them back to the first layer or turn off the original and save as Trp. There is always a manual workaround; in 33 years, I have yet to be stumped but I can tell you, there have been a few doozies.

Of course you need to trap in Photoshop as auto traping systems will not trap within an image and certainly trap is required - eg: pure yellow photoshop type or object across an underwater scene that is void of yellow.
John W

John . .. wouldn't it be easier just to place the photo into indesign and then put the yellow type in place??? then if your trapping software didn't trap it you could stroke and overprint the stroke???? I just don't understand all of the people working so hard in photoshop when there are better and easier ways to get the job done

There is a trap function in PS. It's been there for years and can be a life saver - if you need to trap rasters.

File must be CMYK and flattend.

Look for it under the "image" pulldown

Hi Jackz,

1. Make a copy of the file before trapping the file as you can't undo this after the file is saved.

2. Open the file you want to trap in Photoshop.

3. Navigate to: Image > Trap

4. A dialog will appear indicating you need to flatten the file (if it is not already flattened).

5. Another dialog appears where you specify size of the trap you want. This can be specified in either: pixel, point, or mm.

6. You're done.

You can see the results of the trap applied in Photoshop by toggling the visibility of the various channels to see the new resulting shape of each channel (plate).

Hope that helps.
David

I was too trigger happy in my response. I can see you need the file to retain its layers.

A workaround would be to bring the resulting trapped flattened Photoshop file back in to a copy of the file as a new layer. This could work either as a simple few step process - or it could turn out to be a pain depending on the artwork that you have and what you are trying to preserve in your layers.

My first thought would be to bring the flattened trapped version back in as a new layer and turn off all the other original layers. In a sense, you would have your "working" layers preserved, and then a "trapped" layer for output.

As for a push-button solution - you could create Actions native in Photoshop to perhaps automate this for each file. You might even be able to batch the actions to process out quite a few. I am sure there are some action and batch building gurus here who could help you.

1. create new layer under layer of object to be trapped
2. make selection of object to be trapped
3. constrain selection by trap amount
4. select new layer created in step 1
5. fill selection with white
5. set trapped object layer to darken

Repeat as required

thanks for the input from all.
we also using the same method for creating the trap layer, it's just our client want us to make color adjustment and create the trap layer in live.
on previous way, we flatten the layer and click the trap function, but now they insist to have the curve layer with the trap layer as well. this take a lot of time while doing an images job with a lot of icon in the images.

Does anyone know whether there got any software or plug-in can help to create trapping in images but still need to keep the layer....

What do you really mean by "images"?

A photo, as from a digital camera or scanner?

A "graphic", as in a logo, or a packaging layout that combines, solid and tinted panels, text etc?

Is this just CMYK...or is this an interaction of spot colour channels and CMYK?

Are there vector elements interacting with rasters, or is this raster only?

Can you supply an image so that we can see what you are dealing with?

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back