M1 Mac with Monterey

prepressdork

Hi all,

Has anyone installed an M1 Mac with Monterey in their prepress environment? If so, have you had any issues? I have one M1 Mac with Big Sur but I will be purchasing several new Mac's but I have no experience with Monterey.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you so much!
pd :)

I have had an m1 mini w 16gb ram as my primary computer for several months (lost track of time, sorry). It is now running Monterey. Initially when i first got it some Adobe apps weren’t native so they werent perfect but since they updated I have zero issues related to Adobe CC, office, command workstation, or quite imposing. 100% would recommend.

Hi all,

Has anyone installed an M1 Mac with Monterey in their prepress environment? If so, have you had any issues? I have one M1 Mac with Big Sur but I will be purchasing several new Mac's but I have no experience with Monterey.

Any information would be appreciated!

Thank you so much!
pd :)

All good on the eastern front BUT be careful upgrading your older machines.
System folder and OS gets locked in unruly ways . . .

All good on the eastern front BUT be careful upgrading your older machines.
System folder and OS gets locked in unruly ways . . .
Hi Chris,

I have heard that Apple has continued to improve their System Integrity Protection feature which as you said really locks things down. While I don't necessarily fault them for doing so, I wonder if this will complicate the process of cloning one Mac to another. In the past, I've always built my "Master" on an external drive and then cloned to the internal drive of each new Mac.

Best regards,
pd

Hi DYP,

No on the Studio. Will be purchasing iMac's.

Best regards,
pd
It will probably have to be a new 24" model (base model $1299.00). It seems the Mac Studio (base model $1999.00) & 27" Mac Studio Display ($1599.00) are the replacement for the 27" line. ($3598.00) There are no NEW 27" iMacs listed on their website any longer.

Will there be a 27 inch m1 iMac?

Apple discontinued the current 27-inch iMac after its event.

Last edited:
Hi Chris,

I have heard that Apple has continued to improve their System Integrity Protection feature which as you said really locks things down. While I don't necessarily fault them for doing so, I wonder if this will complicate the process of cloning one Mac to another. In the past, I've always built my "Master" on an external drive and then cloned to the internal drive of each new Mac.

Best regards,
pd
Interesting. I personally feel that the power in the M1 default chip is not sufficient for intense graphical work. I'd wait for a iMac with more robust graphic capabilities like the M1 Ultra/Max/Pro, or even the M2, unless there is an inherent need to buy these right now. Can you hold off for 6 months?

Interesting. I personally feel that the power in the M1 default chip is not sufficient for intense graphical work. I'd wait for a iMac with more robust graphic capabilities like the M1 Ultra/Max/Pro, or even the M2, unless there is an inherent need to buy these right now. Can you hold off for 6 months?
I probably could. The reason I would like to purchase is because the (Intel-based) iMac's I have now are all 7 years old.

pd

Last edited:
I probably could. The reason I would like to purchase is because the (Intel-based) iMac's I have now are all 7 years old.

pd
They're going to release new Pro models either at WWDC (June) or in the fall. The current iMacs with the M1 might not be what you want for graphic design/prepress.

Well, how about this - how many are you buying? Could you buy just one and test it out to see if it meets your performance requirements? I'm just worried about your graphical requirements.

I have one already (it has Big Sur on it though) and so far, Adobe-wise, things seem to be running well (we only use InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat). We typically don't design anything. We just take our customer's files and prep them for printing.

Best regards,
pd

I have one already (it has Big Sur on it though) and so far, Adobe-wise, things seem to be running well (we only use InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat). We typically don't design anything. We just take our customer's files and prep them for printing.

Best regards,
pd
Sounds like they are a great fit, then. They are inexpensive systems that should run for a very long time. Almost no power usage, too.

We've been using original (1st version) M1 MacMinis with Monterey for some months now. There are no problems, they're working as intended. My only observation is that they're not really faster than the previous (Intel) versions - in practical, everyday use they're just like a usual, incremental update. Don't expect anything "revolutionary".

We've been using original (1st version) M1 MacMinis with Monterey for some months now. There are no problems, they're working as intended. My only observation is that they're not really faster than the previous (Intel) versions - in practical, everyday use they're just like a usual, incremental update. Don't expect anything "revolutionary".
I completely agree. The real breakthrough is how the M1 applies to mobile computing like laptops and tablets. 16+ hours of battery life with i7 performance, no heat and seemingly no hitches ever is revolutionary. And this is just their first generation of chips.

If you're using AppleScript in any form (scripts or AppleScript-based apps):

To Apple's credit, they made AppleScript much faster on Monterey. It can be blazingly fast: 5-6+ times faster than on earlier systems. On both Intel and M1 Macs.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back