Mac os X Leopard prepress issues/Polkadots HQ RIP

Bansheei

Hi there guys,

Our company is upgrading our G4 macs (OS X Tiger) with G5 macs (OS X Leopard) and a fellow college has told me about many problems they had with (OS X Leopard) such as problems creating postscript files.

We are using Polkadots Workflow and HQ Rip (which already has config issues) - (Which uses seperated postscripts)

Im not sure which OS to install onto the new G5. is it safer to install (OS X Tiger)?

Can anyone tell me if they have no issues or if they do have issues, please let me know what...

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards
Bansheei
:)

I use an G5 myself and 10.5.7 and We don't have any issues. My big suggestion is to have plenty of RAM as 10.5 does require more RAM usage. I create postscript files using OSX out of Quark without any problems. I would believe 10.5 would run better in intel based G5 although mine is PPC but I added plenty of RAM and it does good.

my .02

Wel 10 gig ram is kanda overkill, but you wil be fine:=)
The only restriction on making files and is also related to the OS is that you cant make files bigger than 2 gig. And this is the same in both systems you mentioned.

Hi Bansheei,

I noticed that you say you need to use separated PS with your workflow. It sounds like maybe it hasn't been setup correctly since we have been able to work with input of EPS (composite), PS (composite + separated), PDF (all flavors, but depending on the version HQN RIP you may not be be able to accept the latest versions of PDF), you can even feed it jpeg if you really wanted to.

Let me know if we can help you sort out your configuration issues.

BTW: I run Tiger on my MacBook with 4GB RAM and while I mostly create Hi Res PDF (InDesign CS Export) for our marketing stuff, I have also made PS and EPS for running out test files and working on support issues without difficulty. Of course I am not running in a production environment, but it does work ;-)

Our company is upgrading our G4 macs (OS X Tiger) with G5 macs (OS X Leopard) and a fellow college has told me about many problems they had with (OS X Leopard) such as problems creating postscript files.
AFAIK, yes and no... it's partially right: on Intel based Mac, you cannot create PS files with Tiger and CS3 using the "Save PDF as PostScript file" from OS X...

... according to the Adobe HotLine, this bug has been fixed with OS 10.5, but I didn't test it (I'm still running 10.4 on a MacPro).

But this issue is ONLY on Intel Mac, and the "Save PDF as PostScript file" from OS X works fine with CS3 on PPC based Mac.
(also works when forcing CS3 apps to use Rosetta on an Intel Mac... but works slowly!!!)

ok, thanks guys.

so i shouldn't be worried about
loading MAC OS X Leopard on the new G5 which is PPC?

ok, thanks guys.

so i shouldn't be worried about
loading MAC OS X Leopard on the new G5 which is PPC?

I don't see a problem that is what I use and I use it intensively without problems

Bansheei, the problem I have seen deals with premissions / authentication when os-x 10.5 is trying to print to a shared windows printer (a pretty normal configuration using a harlequin rip such as polkadots.

If you are dropping pdf/eps/ps files into a hot folder, you won't have a problem as long as you have read/write access to that folder.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back