Magnum 800 Quantum - loose laser head?

KamilT

Dear all,

our platesetter Magnum 800 Quantum had now twice in very short delay (cca 2 weeks) same problem - device stoped working and Kodak technician says we have loose laser head, which is (according to technician) very rare problem. Threy suspect that someone damaged device intentionally or recklessly, as head is firmly attached at normal situation.
Does anybody have a similar experience with laser head?

Than you in advance,

KamilT

Hi KamilT,

Is your head equipped with Z-stage? Have you experienced fly-offs lately? What do you mean "loose"? Was it focus problem?

Regards

Hi LoWang,

thanks for reply,
i dont know what is "Z-Stage", sorry.
This is first time ever when we experienced this problem.
We dont know nothing about focus, as device stopped completly and dont produce any plate. Both times this happened overnight, when device was not operating - evening everything was OK, morning device was not operational.
"loose" -- as technician said, whole laser unit was loose, they must tighten the screws at the bottom of laser unit, but we dont know other details.
I know that this is poor information, but we dont have others at the time writing.

Thank you

KamilT

Hi KamilT,

Is your head equipped with Z-stage? Have you experienced fly-offs lately? What do you mean "loose"? Was it focus problem?

Regards

This is the first I have heard of such a problem. We have a Magnus 400II unit.
With the problem occurring over night I think I would check and see if anyone is there that might damage your machine. It seems strange that it happened the same way twice.

KamilT, what was the message after powering Magnus up?
Did the problem manifest itself during exposing or just during start-up?

Are you unable to use the machine? Did the technician tell you what the remedy is to cure the problem? Did he say that the actual head is loose on the carriage? The head is held down by 4 springs and it is also attached assy called the Z stage assy. You can check this by opening up the platesetter and lifting the conveyor up, you should be able to see the head.

Dear all,

our platesetter Magnum 800 Quantum had now twice in very short delay (cca 2 weeks) same problem - device stoped working and Kodak technician says we have loose laser head, which is (according to technician) very rare problem. Threy suspect that someone damaged device intentionally or recklessly, as head is firmly attached at normal situation.
Does anybody have a similar experience with laser head?

Than you in advance,

KamilT

LoWang, PACH,

I have few information from operators (not so much as i was hoping). First time, the problem manifested this way: morning operator switched unit on, and he was able to image few plates. After this, next plates was "exposed", device not reported any error, plates was pulled out, but in fact, plates was not exposed at all. In short itme, device send error message "can not focus laser" (this is all that operator remembered). Second time, device send this error message after power on, no plates imaged.
Technician said that whole laser engine (with carriage? i think) was loose, and he must tighten the screws at the bottom and set up head, and that this is a failure that he see for the first time, and that this can not happen under normal conditions.
Some photo of head is attached, but i have only mediated information, as i was not there.
As I understand it, nobody have a similar experience, so we'll wait if it still happens.

Thank you for your help,

best regards,

KamilT

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    head1.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 189
  • head3.jpg
    head3.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 189
  • head2.jpg
    head2.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 184
Hi Kamil
You can get Focus errors when the plate has not loaded properly onto the drum or there is a problem with the Focus mechanism inside the head. When was the Magnus installed? It looks to me that the 4 springs that used to hold the head down are not used anymore on this head. Also,looking at your pictures, the way that the Debris removal pipe was fitted does not look right to me.I do not know what screws the technician is talking about at the bottom of the carriage BUT if they are there and are loose, than the Magnus was delivered to you like this.This can not happen in the field.

LoWang, PACH,

I have few information from operators (not so much as i was hoping). First time, the problem manifested this way: morning operator switched unit on, and he was able to image few plates. After this, next plates was "exposed", device not reported any error, plates was pulled out, but in fact, plates was not exposed at all. In short itme, device send error message "can not focus laser" (this is all that operator remembered). Second time, device send this error message after power on, no plates imaged.
Technician said that whole laser engine (with carriage? i think) was loose, and he must tighten the screws at the bottom and set up head, and that this is a failure that he see for the first time, and that this can not happen under normal conditions.
Some photo of head is attached, but i have only mediated information, as i was not there.
As I understand it, nobody have a similar experience, so we'll wait if it still happens.

Thank you for your help,

best regards,

KamilT

KamilT - are you located in SoCal? Was it a Kodak technician who said that? Maybe he referred to the screw supposed to adjust the head being loose - not the head itself...

Hi There, we had a similar error (cannot focus laser) in the pass. We found out that the plate size was a fraction out in the plate setup (or the plate size had changed a fraction). Don't know if this could be your problem

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back