Matching files to press

appstro

I am very new to color management. We just bought a set of epson 9880's and they are great except the color is not coming out the same on press. We are using the xrite and software to try and keep the epsons calibrated, but somethings not the same as it was with our old kodak approvals. (side by side the proofs almost look identical). We also just move to RAMpage and the pressman are saying that the dot is different and its harder to match the proofs. So, whats the process and how do I go about dialing in the proofers to match press etc.

I should point out that we did a job for a client recently. One that we do every year. The pressman matched the new proofs because....Thats what they do. BUT the sales guy told his client that the job would be the same on press as it was last year. Dont worry about the new proofs, it'll match last years!!! Big mistake.

Can you tell me how to make everything kosher again?? I am not in charge of the color for our plant but I would like to know what the process is. THANKS :)

Mike

Mike,

Did you run a press chacterization test on press to determine the color rendering abilities of the press?
Once you run a press test, you would create a custom profile "fingerprinting" the press for the exact
color gamut and tone reproduction for the press. This press profile, in conjunction with a custom
profile for your proofer will yield very good results indeed! The proofer, which has a larger gamut
of the press, will be compressed to match your press reproduction.

I will find some reports I have on setting up a system and send them your way.

Mike

Your proofs should be colour checked to fogra (ISO), then your press guys/Prepress need to calibrate the presses to ISO LAB Values and dot Gains (Dont get too involved in the technical jargon...I did, what a mistake, keep it simply - good advice believe me)

Then both will tie up and you will get a acceptable results.

Your new epson will get you to the approved standard, you just need the tools to do it.

Colour Management on the proofer. ie We use Kodak Matchprint, this software adds a colour bar you can check to see if you are proofing to a standard (ISO/fOGRA)....this must be correct from the start, if not dont bother until you are sure its correct.

Then you need a good press man to give you a balanced sheet from press at linear.....then calibrate and reprint..fingers crossed you should be there.....good luck

In regards to repeat work, you have to draw a line in the sand and say 'we are now going to match the new proofs, repeat work you will have match to last times, because thats what the customer has seen and wants, unless you show the new proofs and they agree to match to those....repeat work will always cause a problem, but you have to make a stand, then in months, years all work will have repeatability...hope this makes sense.....repeat work in my experience last maybe 6-12 months, then they have it re-designed, that the time you print a standard.

Last edited:
Totally agree with Herbert (except there is not need to linearize the plates first - just run uncalibrated and build any needed plate curves from there. BTW, if you're running 175 lpi to the specs - linear may actually work).
Because of your situation, I would disagree with eso4874. This explains why:
Quality In Print: Press and proof alignment

best, gordon p

Hi Gordo.......hope you are well

What happened at Kodak ?............

I agree Gordo, when I say 'Linear' i mean Uncalibrated.........just different expressions.........also make sure you have a good plate first too ie at linear reads linear - 10% reads 10% +-1 tolerance......(Forgot to mention this.Very Important - Fuji have the best plate on the market).

On Press make sure the ink is capable of hitting ISO12647......speak to your ink vendors and get them to prove they can hit the ISO LAB Values.......Sun Chemical have a range called 'Exact' that will hit the LAB Values.

Again Good Luck.........

Thank you so much guys. I think i understand what needs to happen now. What would you suggest I set up for a press test as far as image and colors? Do I just run rows of color bars? We have 2 Komori 640's one 628 and a Heidelberg 440. Do I need to make separate profiles for each one or find a happy medium for the Komori's and let the others fall where they may? Gordo, thats interesting how there are two different ways two approach this. I guess I need to determine what my managers position is. I think he would lean toward to us calibrating our proofs and letting the presses match us as apposed to us matching uncalibrated or linear press sheets. Is that what you mean?

Last edited:
[snip] What would you suggest I set up for a press test as far as image and colors? Do I just run rows of color bars? [snip]Do I need to make separate profiles for each one or find a happy medium for the Komori's and let the others fall where they may? Gordo, thats interesting how there are two different ways two approach this. I guess I need to determine what my managers position is. I think he would lean toward to us calibrating our proofs and letting the presses match us as apposed to us matching uncalibrated or linear press sheets. Is that what you mean?

The basic process goes something like this:
1) Identify the target internal standard or industry specification. (BTW I agree with your manager - Strategy One, also I would start with the ISO spec)
2) Get consensus from stakeholders (prepress, pressroom, management)
3) Determine who's going to be the lead implementer (i.e. internal resource or outside consultant will be used)
4) Open a docket. The process will consume company resources which need to be accounted for. Also the project will need to be treated seriously and given the proper time and involvement. Dockets help to ensure that happens.
5) Contact your ink vendor to determine if your current inks can achieve your target. If not, identify an ink series that has proven capable.
6) Contact your proof/workflow vendor to determine how to set up your proofer to output proofs that align to the industry spec (again strategy one)
7) Find a paper for your press that aligns to the brightness defined in the spec. Try to find one that has a similar UV optical brightness content to your proofing media. You can use a $10 black light to do a qualitative comparison. Make sure the bulb is fluorescent not incandescent.
Below pic shows on the left the proofing paper under white light and on the right under UV light. If there is a big difference with your press/proofer paper you will have problems. BTW, I used this vendor's proofing media swatchbook only because I had one. I am not endorsing their product.

Oris.jpg

8) Test the press. This involves running a test form, preferably without images or proof, to determine the mechanical/chemical soundness of the press. If the press not stable that will need fixing first.
8a) Confirm that your CtP device output is consistent.
8b) Confirm that instruments used in prepress and pressroom are in proper working condition, calibrated, set to the same standard, and agree with one another.
9) Assuming that #8 was a success (with your inks and papers) and that you were able to hit the CIEL*a*b* values at the appropriate solid ink densities - then build plate curves to align the tone response of your press to your proof.
10) Go on press to confirm alignment. For this form you can add subjective reference images to your objective measurable targets.
11) Assuming that #10 was a success. Catalog and document plates, proofs, and presswork. This will become your "golden reference." If anything goes wrong in future production, you would run this golden reference to determine what has changed.
12) You may, optionally, characterize your presswork and use the resulting profile to fine tune your proof to your press that is now conforming to the industry spec.
13) Ask for a raise :)

best, gordo
my print blog here: Quality In Print

Last edited:
Wow!!!! Thanks Gordo you are awesome!!! This is just what I was looking for. I am going to print this out.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back