Minolta c6501 - Black Drum Spotting

bgardner

We tend to run a lot of black and white clicks on our color machine, probably a close 50/50 mix. We always end up, at least once a week having deletion from our Black Drum unit.

It would be little holes in the solids every 7" which tells you its a spot on the drum showing everytime that part hits the sheet. Then one day we had about 50 holes all over the black image.

Our tech keeps telling us its the type of paper we are using that the clay content is to high. We are the 3rd account running into this problem using the same type of paper

Is this an excuse?

We run Endurance, mostly 100# Gloss but mainly 100# Silk Cover.

thanks!

Hi,

No one seems to have replied to this yet so I'll give my 2p worth...

We've tried various medias on the c5501, I noticed a very strong spotting on the demo machine we tried using Core gloss (I think), but we're in the UK...anyway when we got the 5501 installed we used the Condat Essential range and the spotting is significantly reduced, it only shows up on *300gsm* colorcopy to a very minor degree and crinkled paper.

Perhaps not the same problem you're describing, but media can cause issues, particularly cheap media with uneven coating coverage. I was advised on installation that transfer voltage can be increased to compensate.

I've heard KM service in the US is quite poor in certain areas, have your techs shown you all the incredibly intricate options available for each media type? From fuser temps, pressures, various roller pressures, drum pressures, drum voltage, belt voltage, transfer voltage...the list is huge.

Andy

I think it's to do with coverage and the fact that these machines do not cope well with high coverage. Cleaning blade does not clean the drum properly and then causes a build up of toner which fuses to the drum, if you take the drum out you will be able to see the little marks on there. Can clean then off but if you don't have the powder to coat the drum after it may cause more problems, new drum would sort.

Just thought I would reply and let you know what we discovered.

The tech was right, it was the stock we were using. We were using Endurance Gloss and Silk Cover/Texts and were having at least one issue a week. We switched over to the Montauk Line, and have not had an issue in over a month.

Strange a guy i know runs silk cover/text no issues.... have you gone back and tested the silk by chance? Also, what settings were you using for silk cover?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back