Morgana Digifold Pro XL

Robohopar

Hello,

Has anyone purchased the Morgana digifold pro XL? We just picked one up for our shop hoping it would suit us well for the 100lb gloss text we trifold, but we’ve been proven incorrect.

The installer and trainer came by to set us up and he had a load of issues. One was fix with a software update the following couple of days but we have an issue with the creaser not lining up with the knife. This gives you a crease line that shows up on the cover (off about 1mm). He said he’s going to email someone at Morgana to see how to fix or adjust this as he said that it doesn’t adjust.

Second issue I’m having is that it constantly mis or double feeds. There is a lot of room for adjustments here but I’ve tried everything. Not sure what we are doing incorrect here but I’m hoping someone can chime in if they have the same machine. Need to see if this is a one off thing or it’s happening constantly across the board.

We ran a couple thousand 100lb cover stock just fine yesterday with no issues so I’m happy with that but our main jobs are going to be on gloss text.

Thanks.

we have the same machine, make sure you have the narrow creasing matrix for 100lb text, otherwise you will get inconsistent folding position.
yes, feed text weight paper can be a little tricky if the paper is not laid flat or too static, what I do is increase the side air and put weight on the tailedge.

I have the narrow creaser but i'm not even using that because its not lining up with the knife fold...the guys from PFS couldn't even figure it out. Weird.

Which is the side air exactly? I'm seeing a couple fans that are coming from the side. Weight on the tailedge is the little arm that can be adjusted to go up and down that would sit on the paper itself? What you're saying is to have that put some pressure on the paper?

I got it to work a bit...but i'm getting very inconsistent folding positions. What I noticed was that the little rubber fingers that sit right below the pickup belt were off. I adjusted those a bit and it helped me a lot but i'm stilling getting constant double feeds every ~75 or so sheets.

hmm, you will never get consist fold position for anything under 11pt, if you use the regular die.
unlike the older digifold, XL does not have the option to adjust the fold position individually, so the knife fold is always folded at the creasing line. how far off is your narrow creaser?
I will upload my fan setting tomorrow, the weight is basically to press down the sheets and also prevent air escaping from the tailedge so you have better separation , i use the one from my Duplo machine, or you can DIY it, it may or may not help, but works for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-26 214222.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-26 214222.png
    615.2 KB · Views: 217
Got it. Is that the duplo spitter cutter creaser 618? I opted for the graphic whizard. Trying that out. Not sure if it’s as robust as the duplo.

My narrow die and knife fold position are about 1mm off.

make sure the die setting is correct, or you might need to recalibrate the fold position in service mode, I think the password is 1974. make sure to mark down the value, before you change anything.

I’ll try that. Apparently the installer said there is no calibration for that. Hard to believe…

Thank you for the info.

Off topic…

May i pick your brain for a second about the duplo SCC? I picked up a graphic whizard 833sc and had the option for the duplo 618. Did you have a preference on the duplo over the other brands, if so what were they?

I've heard from numerous sources that the Morgana and Graphic Whizard engineering is quite a bit below the Duplo engineering, especially for these devices. Not sure what that means today, but it was observably true about 5 years ago.

Understood. 2 years ago duplo was swearing by their creaser folder and now I realized that it was a multigraf 375 in disguise that they stopped selling. I heard they’re coming out with their own folder though. We’ll see. I want to trade up to the duplo from my graphic whizard even though it doesn’t have the perfing options out of the box.

Off topic…

May i pick your brain for a second about the duplo SCC? I picked up a graphic whizard 833sc and had the option for the duplo 618. Did you have a preference on the duplo over the other brands, if so what were they?
We had a graphic whizard (aerocut) for years and just got the Duplo DC 618 - it's a thousand times better than the graphic whizard machine on all levels.

Thanks for the info...did the is the aerocut comparable to the 833sc from graphic whizard?

Whats different? consistency of the cuts or the functionality of the setup and user UI?

Thanks for the info...did the is the aerocut comparable to the 833sc from graphic whizard?

Whats different? consistency of the cuts or the functionality of the setup and user UI?
Almost everything. I don't know anything about the 833sc and maybe they've gotten better at producing things. Short list:
  • Feeder is more reliable - The Aerocut feeder was designed poorly and we pretty much fought with it the entire time we owned it to get it to feed paper straight. They also had a cover that covered the components but the cover was higher than the side guide and if you didn't pay close attention when setting, the side guide fit under the cover and then when the tray lifted it would smash the cover. We had multiple repair techs who did this on accident (plus our own staff) and finally gave up trying to unbend the cover.
  • Feeder Tray - The feeder tray was not durable or properly supported on the farthest end. Over time, the weight of paper made the feeder tray lean away from the intake so we had to work hard to get the paper to feed, Put shims under the jobs to get them to lean in etc.
  • Feeder separation - The aerocut tended to double feed frequently - we always had to print extra sheets of jobs to account for miscuts - I don't have to do that with the duplo nearly as often.
  • Perforation Module - Massively better, faster and easier to setup. Pretty much just have to put it in and set it. The aerocut required us to use an allen wrench to change the position every time.
  • Interface - Far more intuitive and requires a quarter less training time for newer employees since the interface is logical.
  • Cutting - The aerocut frequently curved the last three cards on every sheet of business cards (the rollers couldn't hold down the last row well enough to keep the last cut from shifting). Even replacing with a new guitine blade did not solve this issue.
  • Joined Slitters - The slitters are set to .275in and cannot be shifted. This means every job MUST have a .275in slit even if you just need something cut in half you can't. The duplo has separate slitters so you can just cut a sheet in half.
  • Slitters - If a strip of .275in paper gets bound up inside the slitter it's a 3 hour process to get it fixed (if you're lucky) and you have to be super careful not to nick the slitters in the process of carefully picking out the paper. The slitter module cannot be taken apart (I tried). Once nicked the entire slitter (motor and all) has to be replaced unless you're okay with it tearing at the nick on every job. New slitters are $3000.
  • Speed - The aerocut would feed only a single sheet which had to exit the machine fully before it feeds the next (raising and lowering the tray between each sheet). The duplo feeds the next sheet as soon as the first sheet is 3-4 inches inside so it's much faster since it doesn't wait for the feeder tray to raise and lower each time.
The duplo, everything is just slightly better quality from the actual metal and supporting structure of the machine so it just runs better.
Just things like that.

I’ll try that. Apparently the installer said there is no calibration for that. Hard to believe…

Thank you for the info.
Hi!
Not sure if this is still relevant for you, but I'll post this anyway...
Sounds like your installation guy hasn't been trained on the DigiFold Pro XL.
If your fold line doesn't match your crease there are two things you can do:

1) If it's just a problem on one particular job, you can go into the pattern screen and adjust it just for that job. When you use the +/- buttons on the pattern screen you are adjusting both crease and fold at the same time. If you just want to adjust the fold (relative to the crease), click "Adjust fold position". Then you'll go into a different screen where you can offset the fold from the crease one way or the other.

2) If it's a problem on all jobs, you'll need to recalibrate the machine. This is done from the Service screen (pw: 1974), change target to Folder, click Calibration and it's all there. You'll want to do fold knife calibration. Might be worth checking the creasers as well while you're there.

Hope this helps.

Digging up this topic, as we are on the verge of committing to a new Digifold Pro XL, with standard and narrow creasing blades.
I spent an afternoon at Morgana last week and carried out successful demonstrations on a variety of our own jobs on our own substrates, all successfully.
This latest model of Digifold has been around for 2½ years now, so any feedback from users who've had the Pro XL for a while, would be useful and appreciated.

Digging up this topic, as we are on the verge of committing to a new Digifold Pro XL, with standard and narrow creasing blades.
I spent an afternoon at Morgana last week and carried out successful demonstrations on a variety of our own jobs on our own substrates, all successfully.
This latest model of Digifold has been around for 2½ years now, so any feedback from users who've had the Pro XL for a while, would be useful and appreciated.
Hi there. Congrats on the new commitment on a great machine. Here are my thoughts after about one year of use.

Love the machine with the exception of a couple things.

1. It doesn't just do 100lb text. My installer from PFS needed to do some custom settings on rollers and etc to get this going and even then, the crease and fold lines were not perfect. He set a preset that I still use til this day. Does the job...but again, you don't may that much money to just get the job done.

2. Can't get it to fold 20lb paper. Can't be that hard, right? Who knows.

3. The narrow crease does nothing. I found that the regular crease is better for 100lb text since the narrow crease leaves the trifold brochures with bowing. The regular crease seems like a better fold option.

4. Inconsistent folds. I'll often get inconsistent folds, especially on half fold 100lb text. Just a bit sad on a machine to this caliber.

All in all, gets the job done...that's all it does. I've found that on 100lb cover and thicker stock it does a SOLID great job.

Feeder option is great, has a bunch of air adjustments to get almost anything through...except 20lb lol

If there's a contact for morgana you think I should maybe contact for a refresh on some software, please share.

Goodluck!

Many thanks @Robohopar The demo jobs we did at Morgana were:
  • A4 80GSM office paper digitally printed B/W to both sides - A-fold / V-fold to A5
  • A4 300GSM coated digitally printed CMYK to one side, B/W to reverse – single crease and fold to A5
  • A3 300GSM (unprinted) gloss laminate to both sides – single crease and fold to A4
  • A4 170GSM uncoated printed full bleed CMYK to both sides – single perforation only
    • As above + fold to A5
  • Custom 300mmx100mm ~200GSM coated litho printed to both sides – 2xDOWN creases + 1xUP crease + gatefold
20LB is 75GSM in English money, so that would be out of spec (starts at 80GSM, which worked even though the caliper measured this at 0.09mm and the machine was set to 0.10mm, being the thinnest setting)

We're opting for the narrow blade in slot CR1 and standard blade in CR2, to give flexibility - the only thing we couldn't test was the narrow blade, since they didn't have one there - both blades were standard gauge.

The engineer mentioned a very recent R&D enhancement - the O-ring feed mechanism will imminently being replaced with a belt, so we'll lock that retrofit into the deal.

It's probably worth contacting your local Morgana office to ensure you have the latest software.

Many thanks @Robohopar The demo jobs we did at Morgana were:
  • A4 80GSM office paper digitally printed B/W to both sides - A-fold / V-fold to A5
  • A4 300GSM coated digitally printed CMYK to one side, B/W to reverse – single crease and fold to A5
  • A3 300GSM (unprinted) gloss laminate to both sides – single crease and fold to A4
  • A4 170GSM uncoated printed full bleed CMYK to both sides – single perforation only
    • As above + fold to A5
  • Custom 300mmx100mm ~200GSM coated litho printed to both sides – 2xDOWN creases + 1xUP crease + gatefold
20LB is 75GSM in English money, so that would be out of spec (starts at 80GSM, which worked even though the caliper measured this at 0.09mm and the machine was set to 0.10mm, being the thinnest setting)

We're opting for the narrow blade in slot CR1 and standard blade in CR2, to give flexibility - the only thing we couldn't test was the narrow blade, since they didn't have one there - both blades were standard gauge.

The engineer mentioned a very recent R&D enhancement - the O-ring feed mechanism will imminently being replaced with a belt, so we'll lock that retrofit into the deal.

It's probably worth contacting your local Morgana office to ensure you have the latest software.
You're welcome.

I believe the feeder now has a set of maybe 6 belts (black in color). Not sure if that what you are referencing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back