Moving the first page image to match end paper and cover page of a book

mulo_g

While printing and making a hard bound book we move the image away from spine by 5-6 mm on the first/ last page and end paper and paste that empty area with 5-6 mm image of the opposite page ( paste 5mm image of end paper to the first page and vice versa, to hide empty area in case of imperfections in creases).
We do the same for the soft book. We move image on cover page 2 and 3 and book page 1 and the last.
This we do so that images perfectly match especially full spread images outside the crease of soft cover or end paper in case of hard bound.
Presently, we do it manually in coreldraw or illustrator.
What is this process called? Also, is it possible to do automatically in coreldraw or illustrator? How?

This function is called creep, and in a professional workflow it is handled by the imposition software. The offset values of the pages are calculated using the paper thickness and the imposition layout.

This function is called creep, and in a professional workflow it is handled by the imposition software. The offset values of the pages are calculated using the paper thickness and the imposition layout.
Thanks Puch. However, I am not talking about creep ( moving image by little bit every page). I am talking about moving 1st page image so that it is not covered by side glue/side crease area of a book cover. The paper thickness has no role here.

If I understand you correctly you are talking about the spine here and the hinge for perfect bound work.
You are moving content from the facing page across the spine for alignment and basically bleed?

I think in other applications you don't have to worry about this so much (thinking back to days when i had to do this stuff).

I think it's probably as you are working in Corel and illustrator that you have to have this workaround.
I don't know of a way to automate it in those applications.

I have also seen that done for better crossovers in perfect bound brochures, usually 1/8" (3mm) We called it kick out. It was a manual process.

We try to educate our customers to allow for the hinge on notch/perfect/burst bound books, but it's an uphill battle, we do it manually, it would be possible to write an action for Pitstop to move the page boxes on the first and last pages, but sometimes that will cause elements on the opposite edge to move outside the trim making it necessary to scale the content instead of shifting it.
Moving the content on the inside cover to fix line ups can't be done by moving the trim box, so that's also a manual process.

We try to educate our customers to allow for the hinge on notch/perfect/burst bound books, but it's an uphill battle, we do it manually, it would be possible to write an action for Pitstop to move the page boxes on the first and last pages, but sometimes that will cause elements on the opposite edge to move outside the trim making it necessary to scale the content instead of shifting it.
Moving the content on the inside cover to fix line ups can't be done by moving the trim box, so that's also a manual process.
Old question but still...

Some PDF applications (like pdfToolbox) are capable of detecting whether there are objects in a certain region of a page and doing conditional processing based on that. If I understand the question correctly, this would mean that something like:

1) See if the right hand x mm of the first page is blank
2) If it's blank, move the first page x mm to the right
3) If it's not blank, scale the page to make room on the right hand side

You might still not fix the problem satisfactorily in 100% of the cases, but if you can automatically fix it for 80% of the time and still have to do some manual work on the other 20%, I'd think nobody would be against that :)

We regularly use a .jsx script with Indesign to move content away from the drilling/binding edge.
With a new customer, you do need to explain what you've done when sending them the final PDF for sign off, otherwise they'll wonder why the pages are jumpy when previewing on screen.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back