Mylar tabs on Ricoh 9200 /7200

adub

Is anyone able to print on Mylar tabs on their Ricoh 9200 or 7200? We can get them to feed fine but the type looks terrible on 15-20% of them towards the edge of the tab, bleeding Flaws that move around, not in the same tab every time. Using the trilar tab profile imported from the library. We tried everything we can think of and Ricoh just told us they are officially unsupported on the 9200. Same tabs ran fine on our versant we just got rid of. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• 44B9E7AD-1244-479F-926B-76634D998D61.jpeg
    44B9E7AD-1244-479F-926B-76634D998D61.jpeg
    796.5 KB · Views: 364
Is anyone able to print on Mylar tabs on their Ricoh 9200 or 7200? We can get them to feed fine but the type looks terrible on 15-20% of them towards the edge of the tab, bleeding Flaws that move around, not in the same tab every time. Using the trilar tab profile imported from the library. We tried everything we can think of and Ricoh just told us they are officially unsupported on the 9200. Same tabs ran fine on our versant we just got rid of. Anyone have any ideas?

What brand are they? I see people run them from docucopy without a problem. Did you try and adjust trailing edge transfer?

Yes, they are docucopy with the trilar coating. I did try adjusting the trailing edge transfer, didn't help. When they work the copy is razor sharp and fusing well, but a fair number of them have major flaws that make the set un sellable.
It seems like an issue in toner transfer to the sheet or fusing, its like the fuser or a roller is dis-engaging too soon at the tail of the sheet. I saw some adjustments for that as well, but they didn't seem to help either.

Yes, they are docucopy with the trilar coating. I did try adjusting the trailing edge transfer, didn't help. When they work the copy is razor sharp and fusing well, but a fair number of them have major flaws that make the set un sellable.
It seems like an issue in toner transfer to the sheet or fusing, its like the fuser or a roller is dis-engaging too soon at the tail of the sheet. I saw some adjustments for that as well, but they didn't seem to help either.

I think it looks like a transfer issue but to see if it's the fuser you could do a panic stop before it goes through the fuser.

Here is a article describing what to adjust for toner scattering on the trailing edge.

They also say it could be from the guide on the bottom of the transfer belt being dirty.

Attachments

• Toner Scattering_ Trailing Edge.pdf
    40.5 KB · Views: 328
Think I demoed mylar ones on a 9200.
Can't remember for sure though. I remember the Ricoh reps were not sure about mylar (think they hadn't encountered them before) and said "let's test those last" - in case it caused problems.

I printed some A5 ones on our C5310s last week and they printed clearly - although I've not figured the margins out yet - it seems to need a big margin from the tab edge else it just cuts off.

Are you in the legal market?

Think I demoed mylar ones on a 9200.
Can't remember for sure though. I remember the Ricoh reps were not sure about mylar (think they hadn't encountered them before) and said "let's test those last" - in case it caused problems.

I printed some A5 ones on our C5310s last week and they printed clearly - although I've not figured the margins out yet - it seems to need a big margin from the tab edge else it just cuts off.

Are you in the legal market?

If you are using the paper catalog you can change the erase area in the advanced settings. You can set it to -3 mm.

If you are using the manual paper settings it can be change in service mode. The default is 4mm I usually find I need to make is less when people are printing tabs especially if they are doing two rows of text on the tab.

Reactions: bcr
If you are using the paper catalog you can change the erase area in the advanced settings. You can set it to -3 mm.

If you are using the manual paper settings it can be change in service mode. The default is 4mm I usually find I need to make is less when people are printing tabs especially if they are doing two rows of text on the tab.
very helpful, thank you. i'll take a look. tech is coming on monday for something else so if i can't figure it i'll get them to look.

I have used a Ricoh 8120 and a Ricoh C9210 and a Xerox 1000 with tabs. Here's the deal the problem is with the tabs. The coating and the toner do not like each other it is a charge issue. You can adjust the voltage lower in the advanced settings. You can also just try reducing the density. It is definitely more common to see this issue with bold fonts. If it is not a coated tab you will never see this issue.

Reactions: bcr

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back