Need equipment advise

1 year into a switch from all Xerox to all Ricoh and not a single look in the review mirror. Ricoh direct has got it on in our area. Completely blowing Xerox out the door in both service and supplies. I am so glad I made the switch, plus my equipment cost is half and my click charges are 20% less. That's comparing a 9210 and 7210 vs an Irridess and a v180. Plus I don't have Xerox calling every month a week before my invoice is due asking for payment. 18 years of never missing a payment and the last 2 years was constant harassment.
I really liked the Ricoh 7210 but it was almost twice the cost of the Versant 280 similarly equipped. Click rate was slightly lower but not enough to make much of a difference. Xerox is definitely on a downward spiral and the drum and toner shortages can’t be explained away by using world wide supply chain issues as an excuse for faulty manufacturing. It’s unfortunate because I do like the Versant 280. Xerox either needs to make a commitment or get out of the light/medium production market.

Good to hear you’ve had such a positive experience with your new Ricoh machines.

I really liked the Ricoh 7210 but it was almost twice the cost of the Versant 280 similarly equipped. Click rate was slightly lower but not enough to make much of a difference. Xerox is definitely on a downward spiral and the drum and toner shortages can’t be explained away by using world wide supply chain issues as an excuse for faulty manufacturing. It’s unfortunate because I do like the Versant 280. Xerox either needs to make a commitment or get out of the light/medium production market.

Good to hear you’ve had such a positive experience with your new Ricoh machines.

Wow, can't believe the 7210 was nearly double the 280. These would have been our next considerations when upgrading our V80.
Can't see how they could justify that, both seem very similar specs, maybe I'm missing something. For all the Versant's flaws and recent issues it's still a great all round press and I've found very reliable.

We have a Konica C7090. Great colour, has been solid so far, but only a few months old. The alignment is great. Previous in my family business we had a Versant 2100 which I absolutely loved. Consistent colour, great registration and I would go 4 to 5 months generally without a service call. A big thing with the Versant for me, and this was not why we bought it, was the ability to run envelopes, specifically #10 envelopes. On the Versant I would load both high cap trays to the top with offset #10 regular or window envelopes and would print them all day long without a jam. No on the Konica it is not rated to run #10 envelopes, at least with the flap closed. They tried to give us some work arounds to make it work but nothing consistent. We either need to run in very small batches with the flaps open or not at all. We have a small Konica copier coming in just for the #10's as it is too much of a pain. Other then the #10 envelope issue though I really like the Konica. Have not had enough repeat jobs to know how consistent colour is over time, but so far it is generally great.

Ah regarding the pricing …if you’re making fair comparisons, a versant 280 is closer to a Ricoh 5310, the Ricoh 7210 is the next class up, especially when you look at key things like speed, rated duty cycle and recommended monthly volumes. The versant 280 is a much slower machine especially at heavier stocks, looks like it requires an option to run all stocks at the rated speed, which is still slower than a 7210.

Last edited:
Ah regarding the pricing …if you’re making fair comparisons, a versant 280 is closer to a Ricoh 5310, the Ricoh 7210 is the next class up, especially when you look at key things like speed, rated duty cycle and recommended monthly volumes. The versant 280 is a much slower machine especially at heavier stocks, looks like it requires an option to run all stocks at the rated speed, which is still slower than a 7210.
Very true on the comparison. I pulled out the old quote and it was for the 7200s, that was $700 more than the V280 and the 5310s was also quoted at $500 more than the 280. That was 2 years ago though. I really liked what Ricoh had and a lot of people seem to be migrating to them.

Very true on the comparison. I pulled out the old quote and it was for the 7200s, that was $700 more than the V280 and the 5310s was also quoted at $500 more than the 280. That was 2 years ago though. I really liked what Ricoh had and a lot of people seem to be migrating to them.
I’m not sure where Xerox is on pricing these days, they weren’t even at the table for comparison when shopping for our new printer. Xerox in my area became third party, and most printers in town do not seem to use them anymore. I know our 7210x is a great deal cheaper than the km 6085 we had, and was cheaper than the 7090 that km brought to the table. Though cost wasn’t really what we were shopping for, in our situation.

1 year into a switch from all Xerox to all Ricoh and not a single look in the review mirror. Ricoh direct has got it on in our area. Completely blowing Xerox out the door in both service and supplies. I am so glad I made the switch, plus my equipment cost is half and my click charges are 20% less. That's comparing a 9210 and 7210 vs an Irridess and a v180. Plus I don't have Xerox calling every month a week before my invoice is due asking for payment. 18 years of never missing a payment and the last 2 years was constant harassment.
The calls are sooooo annoying. When they call I just ask them what the due date is. When they tell me the date I ask them if it’s that date yet. They say no so I tell them that’s their answer lol

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back