Need Help Adding Quicksetter Printer to Mac

Chris A

Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave
Heidelberg Quicksetter 400
RTI Rip-Kit v3
There are two queues for the one machine: QS350 for separations and QS350Mono for composites.

We have a new iMac, and we cannot add the platemaker to it.
The other two iMacs have both queues.

I know how to add a regular printer, but I cannot add the platemaker to the new iMac. (need both queues) We have tried copying files and trying to match the settings of a functioning iMac, but it won’t work.
Can someone please walk me through this?

All the printers here are network; some use Fiery. The platemaker has its own pc for rip. I go through the usual steps for adding a network printer & choosing the ppd. It just doesn't work. I must be doing something wrong. Does it have something to do with the pc sharing the platemaker? I'm not a Windows guy.

All the printers here are network; some use Fiery. The platemaker has its own pc for rip. I go through the usual steps for adding a network printer & choosing the ppd. It just doesn't work. I must be doing something wrong. Does it have something to do with the pc sharing the platemaker? I'm not a Windows guy.
Sub-Net settings are crucial. Print the display from the PC and make sure the Mac can reach it and SHOULD be on the same subnet.
YMMV

Sorry, I don't really follow (barely understand windows). On the PC, go to control panel and then what? Here is one screen. I'm using this IP in the iMac connection, but it won't work. SubNet mask is the same on the iMac. Also, here's my actual printer QS350, but it doesn't give me any details. The PC is never touched, except to release plates. This would have to be on the Mac end.

Attachments

• IMG_3870.JPG
    IMG_3870.JPG
    753.6 KB · Views: 204
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 3.28.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 3.28.58 PM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 3.24.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 3.24.50 PM.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 225
The Quicksetter printer may require Netbios

NetBIOS is disabled in macOS 10.15 to speed up mounting, browsing, and connecting to SMB shares. Some older printers and file servers may require NetBIOS to connect.

To enable NetBIOS, you can create or edit the /etc/nsmb.conf file. If your system doesn't already have an /etc/nsmb.conf file, use the following Terminal commands while logged in as an Administrator:

echo "[default]" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf
echo "port445=both" | sudo tee -a /etc/nsmb.conf

To disable NetBIOS, you can safely delete the /etc/nsmb.conf file.

Last edited:
Why don’t you export your file as a pdf, you should be able to import that file directly into the rip to make the plate. This bypasses having to setup the rip as a printer. Much easier.

Sorry, I don't really follow (barely understand windows). On the PC, go to control panel and then what? Here is one screen. I'm using this IP in the iMac connection, but it won't work. SubNet mask is the same on the iMac. Also, here's my actual printer QS350, but it doesn't give me any details. The PC is never touched, except to release plates. This would have to be on the Mac end.
Oh boy. You need a tech.

Firstly you are using DHCP on the PC which means the IP address can change on a whim.
You can't (shouldn't) use the IP address to connect to the printer - if you do this it is prone to 'breakage'.

So you should be using the next tab in the Mac window 'Windows' to find the printer.
Do you 'see' the printer there? If not the network settings on the Mac need to change.
Also you have to have the name and password for a 'user' on the windows machine.

- PS - the 'NetBios' settings mentioned by Magnus59 are important but if you can see it from a different Mac then that isn't (most probably) the issue.

if rip still use apple talk, then new macs won't work, old one upgraded from old os so apple talk still being kept and function normal

To be clear, it’s not a “brand new” iMac. It is a 27” i7, on Mojave 10.14.
It’s exactly like the other two in every way.
I’m guessing the third Mac has something turned off or on that should be toggled.
However, I’ve been trying to add it to my Mac as well, where it already works, and I can’t.

“Any idea on how the platesetter was added to the functioning iMac?”
Grandfathered in from previous machines. Our (freelance) IT guy does the transfers when we get new machines. Haven’t even seen him in almost two years.

“Why don’t you export your file as a pdf”
Because the Windows machine is old as dirt, and in another room. Windows XP 2002
We usually print from InDesign or Acrobat. There are no apps on the rip to print the pdf.

“So you should be using the next tab in the Mac window 'Windows' to find the printer.”
Tried. Even my machine doesn’t see it.

“Oh boy. You need a tech.”
Totally.

All the screenshots have been from my machine, which works.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.16.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 9.16.32 AM.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 194
To be clear, it’s not a “brand new” iMac. It is a 27” i7, on Mojave 10.14.
It’s exactly like the other two in every way.
I’m guessing the third Mac has something turned off or on that should be toggled.
However, I’ve been trying to add it to my Mac as well, where it already works, and I can’t.

“Any idea on how the platesetter was added to the functioning iMac?”
Grandfathered in from previous machines. Our (freelance) IT guy does the transfers when we get new machines. Haven’t even seen him in almost two years.

“Why don’t you export your file as a pdf”
Because the Windows machine is old as dirt, and in another room. Windows XP 2002
We usually print from InDesign or Acrobat. There are no apps on the rip to print the pdf.

“So you should be using the next tab in the Mac window 'Windows' to find the printer.”

“Oh boy. You need a tech.”
Totally.

All the screenshots have been from my machine, which works.
I guess one simple solution is sharing the rip from other working mac, then Just print to the shared printer

I guess one simple solution is sharing the rip from other working mac, then Just print to the shared printer
Another layer of network. Bad idea from my viewpoint.
This - right here.
ALL the machines on your network should see a 'shared' printer.
And . . .
old as dirt Windows XP 2002
is the other really possible/probable issue.
Having worked on these systems for the last 30 years - yes 30 - you really need to be careful and consistent with the networking options from the server to the client.
The Macs you have are very much using different versions of SMB/Win sharing protocols and they need to be mitigated.
And the Win XP box has to be vary carefully managed as well.
Sigh.
As I said before - you need a tech that has knowledge of these issues.
Where are you located?
Remote diagnostics are a non-starter.
The WinXP box will/should be unreachable if you don't want to get pwned on the internet in like 30 seconds or less..

Another layer of network. Bad idea from my viewpoint.

This - right here.
ALL the machines on your network should see a 'shared' printer.
And . . .

is the other really possible/probable issue.
Having worked on these systems for the last 30 years - yes 30 - you really need to be careful and consistent with the networking options from the server to the client.
The Macs you have are very much using different versions of SMB/Win sharing protocols and they need to be mitigated.
And the Win XP box has to be vary carefully managed as well.
Sigh.
As I said before - you need a tech that has knowledge of these issues.
Where are you located?
Remote diagnostics are a non-starter.
The WinXP box will/should be unreachable if you don't want to get pwned on the internet in like 30 seconds or less..
Are you sure the old rip support samba talk in this case? RTI sell a generic driver kit for 50$ to solve this kind problem, now they bought by Xitron, the only choice left is upgrade old rip to harlequin 13

Are you sure the old rip support samba talk in this case? RTI sell a generic driver kit for 50$ to solve this kind problem, now they bought by Xitron, the only choice left is upgrade old rip to harlequin 13
No idea what networking is supported by the old rip. Good question. XP supports smb1 only.
The Macs may be defaulting to SMB2. There is a utility to force it to SMB1. Let's see . . . .
Yes - SMBConfig this was an early idea for a fix I had but wasn't sure.
You can try this on the Macs.
The old Macs had the connections established and the links copied so maybe that is why they continued to work.
Also some of the old rips had limits on client licenses. Another question needing an answer.

Here's a thought: if the "non-working" iMac is like the other two in every way as you say, could you clone the hard drive from one of the "working" iMac's to the "non-working" one?

After cloning, you would just need to change the IP and computer name so they don't conflict. If cloning is an option, SuperDuper! will do the trick.

Here's a thought: if the "non-working" iMac is like the other two in every way as you say, could you clone the hard drive from one of the "working" iMac's to the "non-working" one?

After cloning, you would just need to change the IP and computer name so they don't conflict. If cloning is an option, SuperDuper! will do the trick.
New imac won't let you install old systems on it just like iphone, the 2nd method to solve this problem is just print as ps file then put on any shared space, just drag the ps file to workflow

We decided to restore from a Time Machine backup onto the new machine... and it worked!
Thanks, guys, for taking the time to try to help with this issue. I appreciate all the suggestions.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back