Need help from someone that works in a print shop dealing with customer service

Christine

I am a college student that hopes to work in the print industry some day. I have a research assignment that requires me to ask a few questions of someone in the print industry that is involved with customer service.

Questions:
How long have you been in the business?
What is the name and location of the shop you work in?
How long have you worked there?
What you like most about the job:
What you like least about the job:
What sort of training do you have?
What are your main responsibilities and duties?
Type of equipment in the shop and what services you offer?
Any other information or advice about the industry?

I hope there's someone out there that can help me out! Thanks

I'm just curious, which questions are a violation?
Because these are the questions my teacher gave me and she has worked in the industry for a very long time. I'm not sure why she would assign this if it is violation...

I'm just curious, which questions are a violation?
Because these are the questions my teacher gave me and she has worked in the industry for a very long time. I'm not sure why she would assign this if it is violation...

I agree with VladCanada's concern. Your teacher may have worked in the print industry but this is a different issue.

E.g. "What is the name and location of the shop you work in?" will cause problems with:

"What you like least about the job:" Could reflect negatively on company management and/or result in libel issues.
"What sort of training do you have?" Could reflect negatively on company management and/or result in libel issues.
"What are your main responsibilities and duties?" Could reflect negatively on company management and/or result in libel issues.
"Type of equipment in the shop and what services you offer?" May be propriety information.
"Any other information or advice about the industry?" The company may require that an employee does not publish an opinion on this topic since it may incorrectly reflect the view of the company the employee works for.

Make it anonymous - no employee or company name, and make location general - e.g. India, Bolivia, Australia, etc. and it might fly.

best, gordon p

Last edited:
I agree with VladCanada's concern. Your teacher may have worked in the print industry but this is a different issue.

E.g. "What is the name and location of the shop you work in?" will cause problems with:

"What you like least about the job:" Could reflect negatively on company management and/or result in libel issues.
"What sort of training do you have?" Could reflect negatively on company management and/or result in libel issues.
"What are your main responsibilities and duties?" Could reflect negatively on company management and/or result in libel issues.
"Type of equipment in the shop and what services you offer?" May be propriety information.
"Any other information or advice about the industry?" The company may require that an employee does not publish an opinion on this topic since it may incorrectly reflect the view of the company the employee works for.

Make it anonymous - no employee or company name, and make location general - e.g. India, Bolivia, Australia, etc. and it might fly.

best, gordon p

Wow!! Is this the kind of world we live in now? This young lady is looking for info about an industry she is thinking about joining. I think we should welcome her with open arms.

PM me Christine and I will gladly help in any way I can.

In Canada Scott's Directory has a lot of information about companies (incl. CEO or HR names) but you can use it as a registered unempluyee at local Employment Solution Centers. Or you have to pay for that site access.
Some companies have a very strict limitations for publishing equipment information, for instance Pollard Banknote who prints a lot of lottery scratch tickets.

Wow!! Is this the kind of world we live in now? This young lady is looking for info about an industry she is thinking about joining. I think we should welcome her with open arms.

Making her aware of potential issues of conducting such a survey has nothing to do with welcoming her to the industry.
I explained where I thought there may be problems that might prevent her from getting any responses (so far zero responses to her questions). I also provided a way that she might have more success in getting the info.

I thought that was helpful.

gordo

Thank you all for the information.
I dont want to get anyone in trouble, I was unaware it would cause problems, any information is helpful.

Well, since I am the Chief in charge and my name is on the hook I suppose the owner will have no other alternative other than to let me spout off.......................

Questions:
How long have you been in the business? About 21 years
What is the name and location of the shop you work in? On Demand Packaging, Richmond, Va.
How long have you worked there? I have been in business for 3.5 years
What you like most about the job: I get to take no time off and everyday is like a Chess match!
What you like least about the job: Same as above
What sort of training do you have? Manufacturing and plenty of it. Customer service, 3.5 years officially. You learn real quick that things are not always as they should be and at the end of the day most people are genuinely good people who are enjoyable to deal with once you build a relationship. The keyword, MOST...
What are your main responsibilities and duties? From a customer service standpoint, problem solving, helping to flow projects along, and trying to deal with every situation with an "as per" basic. No two jobs or customers are the same.
Type of equipment in the shop and what services you offer? Bindery, Some Printing, Packaging, Courier services, Consulting, and sometimes Professional Guidance Counselor.
Any other information or advice about the industry? Printing is about problem solving. Treat others as you wish to be treated. Have some tact about your emails! Understand that there are many, many languages in Printing and you have to learn them all.

1-HERE IS THE BIG ONE. EVERYBODY SCREWS UP. IT IS WHAT YOU DO AFTER THE FACT THAT SEAPARATES YOU FROM EVERYONE ELSE.
2-Don't give inaccuarate information. Go find out. You will get in a pickel on this one.
3-Never, never, never change something without a Customer's approval. That will get you big time.
4-Communicate, communicate, communicate. Did I mention communicate?

Seriously, Customer Service is a tough position in Printing. You can be a hero one minute and a punching bag the next. Never a dull moment.

HTH,
John Weaver

Last edited:
Thanks Gordo! I will fix that in the AM. I have seen the affects of Assuming on the Printers end in the last 7 days and I would not wish these errors on my worst enemy.... So much information to sift through.

Thanks,

John Weaver

I can help as well. I worked for a Printing Company that was bought out by a larger company. Working for the smaller company as the Production Manager I will use that company as my example. I am working for the larger company but not in a management roll

How long have you been in the business? I have worked in Printing for 25 years
What is the name and location of the shop you work in? Pressworks in Minnesota
How long have you worked there? 9 years
What you like most about the job: Organizing production and getting things done on time and right
What you like least about the job: Mistakes, reruns
What sort of training do you have? Most is work experience have been trained in about 8 different presses and multiple types of bindery equipment.
What are your main responsibilities and duties? Put out fires, manage work flow daily, work production in areas that need help, Press, bindery, digital or shipping
Type of equipment in the shop and what services you offer? SM52 and Indigo 5500 are our main bread and butter. We are short run commercial/ quick printers
Any other information or advice about the industry? I would avoid it because of the uncertainty of its future. I am sure every industry is hurting now but I see with the advance in technology this market will either die or become very hard to get into

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back