Need recommendation for color machine

mikecla

I have a Canon C9075 Pro and do VDP direct mail jobs with it. The average job is a total run of 21,000 sheets (3 pages, 7,000 duplexed) 4/4, but mostly spot color and no photos. I usually run 2 a week, meaning 160K clicks a month and the machine is running 8 hours a day 5 days a week to crank out this volume.

It's starting to go down frequently (not to mention the huge expense of toner) and it's also too slow to keep up with the mail inserter. I'm wondering if my best investment would be:

1) Another C9075, run 2 at once
2) A different toner based machine altogether, something higher end in the production category.
3) An inkjet based machine such as a Riso.

I got a pretty good deal on the C9075 and can get another one for less than 10K, but would like some opinions on what you would choose. I do direct mail, only for myself -- no retail or outside jobs. I haven't looked at inkjet in 3 years and have no idea how the technology has progressed.

First... why are you paying for toner? Don't you have a maintenance agreement? Second - unless you only print on uncoated stock don't consider the Riso.

First... why are you paying for toner? Don't you have a maintenance agreement? Second - unless you only print on uncoated stock don't consider the Riso.

I bought a used machine pretty cheap, so far my cost per click (with service factored in) is cheaper than an agreement and my Canon tech is awesome, but for the volume I do (not total monthly, but jobs done at the same time) is too slow. Just looking for something faster and that might hold better during long runs.

Has inkjet progressed at all since the Riso HC5500? If so, what should I be looking at? I only use 20lb white paper, uncoated, for the big direct mail runs and would still keep the 9075 for business cards, post cards, and the in between jobs I do.

When I was looking the RISO was a great solution at a reasonable cost. the RISO ran at 150 clicks a minute and quality was pretty good.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back