Need to print large book covers

lmlr

We do a lot of books on our KM8000 and 6500 but we have a new client that wants short runs of about 100 books but he wants very large flaps so we need to print to about 70 cm. Is there a printer on the market that allows this or do we have to do it in offset?

I think your going to have to go offset as the biggest digital machines like the iGen, NexPress, Indego & Screen are all 66 cm.

The Indigo WS6000 can print 100cm, on paper (web fed - rolls only). If you need to print double-sided it's a bit difficult, but possible, on machines that have a reinsertion module installed.

Actually the IGen4EXP does get real close to the 70CM that you are looking to achieve as it's max sheet size is 14.33" x 26". It actually makes a great cover press and the toner will UV coat real well. Lamination of the toner is a bit tricky but we have had good success as long as you use a "super stick" type laminate. The Kodak Nexpress will achieve your goal as it will now print on sheets up to 14" x 36". I would be skeptical on front to back registration with the Kodak as it is a very long sheet so I would request a demo at a printers facility using this device. I can tell you the IGen4EXP perfects the 26" sheet flawlessly and up to 350GSM (I have one).

I do not know if my comment about JetVarnish 3D made any sense, but I think that digital embossing and spot varnishing could give interesting impact in book covers.

Solution for Digital Printing Large Book Covers

Solution for Digital Printing Large Book Covers

We do a lot of books on our KM8000 and 6500 but we have a new client that wants short runs of about 100 books but he wants very large flaps so we need to print to about 70 cm. Is there a printer on the market that allows this or do we have to do it in offset?

Hi There!

I don't know if this will be of help to you, but the kind of press you are looking for is called the MGI Meteor DP8700XL. The company (MGI) is a growing player in the digital press market space, they don't have quite the mindshare that HP or Xerox does, but they are gaining popularity quickly.

The press (the DP8700XL) is a four color, toner based machine that competes in the same space as the Indigo and iGen. This machine will print (and it prints beautifully too) up to 13 x 47" sheets.

I don't know where you're located - so we may not even be able to help you in the sales arena, but I would be happy to point you in the right direction, whether you're looking to buy, or to just find someone who has this press in your area.

Let me know if you'd like more info or a reference to a dealer in your area. All I'd need is the city and state.

Hope this helps :)

Allie Harrold
Graphco

NexPress NOW prints 14" X 36", yes, that is right thirty six inches or 1080 cm's

NexPress NOW prints 14" X 36", yes, that is right thirty six inches or 1080 cm's

Go with a NexPress that prints 36" and gold, and dimensional,

Hi Imir,
To print a book cover with at least 70cm printing area all of those SRA3 toner devices are too small, even if someone may say so.
The best quality and biggest size (something which you need to print an attractive book cover) you get with a Fujifilm Jet Press 720, in the North American market this device is called JPress 720. It has a paper size of up to 750 x 530cm and the max imaging width is 733, in photo-quality. The productivity of that digital inkjet press is attractive for runs from 1 till 3000 B2-sheets

Fujifilm has installed those digital presses in Japan, North America and Europe, and I can help you getting in contact with Jet Press user if you like.

Cheers

Wieland

Buy an Kodak Nexpress 2100. It's becoming an very exploring device in digital printing. It gives you very good services and have many good specifications but I would recommend to buy it directly from manufacturer.

If your print volumes are low (less than 10 000 70 cm prints per month) you could go with a printer like Xerox phaser 7800. You will also need PhaserMatch® 5.0 color management and calibration software for it.

I think the price will be between 5 000 - 8 500 euros depending on the setup.

Ok, thinks we need to know:
MGI whaever it is is KM6501 engine with Offset press like registration added and price tripled or quadrupled.
Phaser 7800 or any phaser for that matter will print 2-3 mm scewed on long side so if you print double sided and hold the page at light, image will look like X. Good OKI Xante can print 12.4 x 47 inches banners... It is not a problem to image something this long on modern machines but registration could be a challenge even on machines that cost Half a Million+. If your client needs just a few hundred pages printed of that size, i think it is a lot more cost effective to experiment with machines that cost few thousand, i.e. Phaser or OKI not a few hundred thousand...

Hi, fully agree with UnlimitedBT, if the quantity is small and you do not need to worry about registration Xante, Oki, Phaser could be right solutions. With higher volumes or higher precision requirements I would still consider other choices MGI or Kodak (if you do not need to worry about the price) Here is interesting article from Printweek, could bring some thoughts

Me & my... MGI Meteor DP8700 XL

If you have a bypass tray on your KM you can print banners up to 48" long. It looks to be slow - one sheet at a time - but likely less expensive than an iGen4, Nexpress, or MGI. Might work for short run covers.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back