New Konica C8000 Install

It is unfortunate that customer had problems, you will note we were on site and working very hard to satisfy them. If you continue to read the follow up posts you'll notice we seem to have resolved the issues. All of my CP800/1000 installs are running like champs. (FFPS and Fiery)

It is not my desire to sound challenging; however, as the individual at the center of the referenced "bad Xerox Install", I feel I need to correct some things.
Was the install bad? Yes.
Were the issues resolved? No.
What was Xerox's Last proposal? Wait until prototype parts are available in February to potentially deal with the issues of the banding.
Was this the fault of Local Xerox Representatives? No, I believe the fault belongs in Rochester and with the design team.
Am I still a Xerox Customer? Yes.
Do I work for Xerox? Obviously not (See Above)

I have attached a photo proving that the unit is not in service and is waiting for pickup. While the banding issue was the official reason for the rejection of the Xerox 1000, another major issue was the amount of time the machine spent in "adjusting image quality". We were seeing upwards of twenty minutes an hour in self adjustment. That means the average hourly prints per minute would drop to around 67ppm (or 67% of maximum). I was told to calculate a 85-90% uptime for production load. How can I achieve 85% when the machine is at 67% BEFORE maintenance?

Attachments

• X1000_WaitingToShip.jpg
    X1000_WaitingToShip.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 205
Installing 3 new c 8000s late Feb

Installing 3 new c 8000s late Feb

Have placed an order with KM for three c8000 colour machines. Likley install date late Feb early March. Hopefully going to be a positive experience.

Your going to get good and bad installs regardless of machine. From a techs perspective I could have 40 8000's (for example) in the field 4 or 5 of them could be dogs from day one. No explanation. no rhyme no reason. You could pull the machine, put it somewhere else and it could work perfectly, which has certainly happened to me.

To be fair the first post was more about his slack supplier not his machine. Unfortunately this will end up being a poor performer as they dealer obviously has NO idea.

Hate to tell you but bad installs are doomed machines. Thats why I now take particular attention to every possible detail regardless of how trivial. It's like the copier gods are watching.

Last edited:
Heya Uber,

Just wondered if you'd had any 8000 installs yet? Any feedback at all? Anything worth keeping an eye on for example?

Josh

Sorry to hear about your install problems. Unfortunately, these things happen from time to time & none of the suppliers (even Xerox) are excluded.

The only suggestion for the future is to be familiar with machine expectations (such as the 300 gsm issue).

While Xerox is quite good, we recently experienced the following:

1- We replaced a 5 yr old 4110 w/external fiery with a 4112 w/external fiery.
2- It took forever & conversations with 5 different people to get Xerox to explain the capability differences between what they called the Xerox Print Production Package as bundled with the 4110 versus the Compose & Impose options as offered with the 4112 so as to make sure we did not leave out a needed feature or function on the new unit.
3- In an attempt to get our sale into calendar year 2010, Xerox took our order on Dec 22 & delivered on Dec 28 (including time off for Xmas & a snow day). We told them we were not in any rush since the 4110 was operational & would be swapped out. So, of course, the trucker removed the 4110 & delivered the 4112 on Dec 28. Then we found out that there were no service personnel available for installation until after Jan 1 as many took vacation for the holiday, leaving us without a machine (we do have another unit-Nuvera).
4- Also note that this does not help Xerox as they must complete installation before they can record the sale.
5- We screamed loud & they directed a tech to us for the install on Dec 29.
6- But the systems analyst was also on vacation that week. So they found (2) other analysts who showed up before the unit was uncrated & installed. And the analysts were not familiar with the Fiery & had difficulty with the install & networking. They even told us that we were missing a dongle for the "Compose" software which we discovered was installed in the Fiery PC after they left.
7- Prior to the delivery, a Xerox tech visited & told us the waste bottles & toner fro the 4112 were different than for the 4110. We spent a day+ trying to get our sales rep to place an order for toner, etc, as the machine only comes with (1) cartridge & we can't order toner until the machine serial number is placed into the system. That takes several days after installation is complete.
8- When the tech who did the install (he was terrific) got on site, he proceeded to tell us that we would use the same toner & same waste bottles as on the 4110.
9- During our 4+ years with the 4110, Xerox changed toner part numbers 3 times, resulting in confusion as to which toner is correct. We are still waiting on an explanation so we understand what this is all about.
10- Apparently, some users of these machines (4110 & 4112) use different toner than we are using.
11- In the middle of the installation, the Xerox trainer showed up.
11-A- She could not train but hung around for 4 hours
11-B- Our people do not need any training as we have been doing this a long time & the 4110 was almost identical.

We are pleased with the machine, but as you can see from the chronology above, Xerox is not immune from the issues faced on the KM 8000 install.

Your going to get good and bad installs regardless of machine. From a techs perspective I could have 40 8000's (for example) in the field 4 or 5 of them could be dogs from day one. No explanation. no rhyme no reason. You could pull the machine, put it somewhere else and it could work perfectly, which has certainly happened to me.

To be fair the first post was more about his slack supplier not his machine. Unfortunately this will end up being a poor performer as they dealer obviously has NO idea.

Hate to tell you but bad installs are doomed machines. Thats why I now take particular attention to every possible detail regardless of how trivial. It's like the copier gods are watching.

Your right on the money, the machine itself was not the issue, today it is running and its great. The quality and speed are first rate.

garbage is gone, all parts installed and assuming that their service guys will get familiar with the machine in the near future, It won't be long till I need a second one.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back