New to the digital printing

Stonebridge

I work for a non-profit and we print about 100,000-200,000 pages a month of 8.5x11 letters. We currently just use 3 HP M806. We are constantly doing maintenence on these HP's. I have been looking in to the epson workforce M21000 as a replacement. Does anyone have any ideas for help? I would prefer to just have 1 printer.

your volume is too high for just one printer
you will need at least 3-4 midsize machines if you want basically zero maintenance
all you will need to do is replace basic components with take 90 seconds on average to replace

I think leasing a light / mid production rated machine with a service and supplies contract is appropriate. Ricoh 8300 seems like a good fit if all you do is bw. You may be able to find an older refurbished model for less but I wouldn’t suggest anything without a service contract for that volume. I do not think you need multiple machines for this volume.

I have a single Ricoh 7210 (color model) running our print department, runs all day long and I see my tech maybe once every 4-6 weeks. There are a handful of things that I can quickly swap out but honestly it just runs.

Thanks for the help. I have a better idea now. We do have an old Ricoh 5100 which we use for printing some of the pamphlets we use, but it just died.

Contrary to what anyone says, the only printer with "basically zero maintenance" is one that's not used... however if it's not used for too long, guess what? You guessed - it will need maintenance!

In your case, having two entry to mid level production printers would give you the most redundancy and flexibility, recommendation would depend on your BW%/colour %

Also, how much of that volume is variable data and do you have the facility to guillotine?

A single machine sounds good, but it's a gamble. When it goes down, depending naturally on why.. you may be down for a few days or more. Redundancy is insurance..

Contrary to what anyone says, the only printer with "basically zero maintenance" is one that's not used... however if it's not used for too long, guess what? You guessed - it will need maintenance!

In your case, having two entry to mid level production printers would give you the most redundancy and flexibility, recommendation would depend on your BW%/colour %

Also, how much of that volume is variable data and do you have the facility to guillotine?
It is mostly variable data that we would be using and yes we have a guillotine. We have worked with a local business with the Ricoh 5100 on maintenance but we only would call them in when needed. I would buy all the parts online myself to try and save a little money. Doing 11x17 would probably be the way we would go and guillotine.

At those amounts I would suggest at a minimum the 5300 and keep the 5100 as a backup. If doing 11x17 you would benefit from stepping up to a green line (refurbished) 7200 from Ricoh. At those volumes you should be able to support it if this is pay for print.

What/who is the best way to purchase a Ricoh? I apologize, I am getting my feet wet in this.
Look up a Ricoh direct office or dealer near you: Find a Ricoh location near you | Ricoh USA

Make sure to get quotes from Xerox and KM as well. You may find the interface and workflow of one works better than another when you do a demo at their showroom. Getting competitive quotes will also make your dealer of choice give you the best deal possible.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back