Odd Server Instability Issue...

eran

I'm not sure what the root of the problem is so I'll just give the general overview. We run TrueflowSE 5 on a system running Windows Server 2003 Standard. The 2003 server box is our primary file/working space as well. On average there are 4-5 people accessing it throughout the day. With the exception of this problem, stability is not an issue. My problem seems to occur most frequently when trying to circumvent Trueflow by placing a tiff or pdf into a hot folder designated to GMG's Colorproof. Typically the GMG rip will become unresponsive followed by my TF workstations locking up. Shortly thereafter InDesign crashes on all stations and the problem finds resolve by rebooting my server... typically a hard reboot is required and the machine hangs while logging out.

Any ideas? Is this Trueflow being jealous perhaps? Possibly a network issue? I'm stumped.

Sounds like a service or process is getting 'hung' and then crashing Windows services or going into a run-away and eating up all of the processing / memory capacity of the server. It could just be that files getting RIPed this method take a very long time and eat all of the servers resources. Might want to wait it out next time and see if the machine recovers? Check for software patches for GMG and TrueFlowSE 5, if you have been doing regular Windows updates that can lead to some nasty conflicts sometimes.

I'm not familiar with TrueflowSE (Screen?). It sounds like this server functions as fileshare / workflow / rip all in one. I generally don't recommend using the RIP as a file storage location. The RIP is generally very process intensive and can lockup other processes or lead to artifacting and problems showing up in your ripped data. A lot of vendors seem to be trying to reduce costs by throwing everything onto one server.

Hopefully that was helpful.

Last edited:
I agree Mr Ritter.. check with Screen to see if the updates (if any) are OK , and if possible move away from Windows Server 2003, Get two new boxes and spread the load, (I know nobody has any money but they don't have to be expensive).

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back