older files from 1996

big3b69

I have three eps files from 1996 and one unknown file and I cannot openthem in anything that we have. They could be either mac of pc, any ideas?

matt

Re: older files from 1996

By +unknown+ I assume that there is no file suffix or no Mac file type, correct?

In the case of the EPS files, have you tried creating PDF from them via Distiller?

- Dov

By +does not like+ I assume you mean that you are getting some type of PostScript error from Distiller? Which PostScript error specifically?

Perhaps what you actually have is the resource fork of a Macintosh EPS file which contains only the EPS file preview.

- Dov

this is what distiller says:

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: «Í ]%%
%%[ Flushing: rest of job (to end-of-file) will be ignored ]%%
%%[ Warning: PostScript error. No PDF file produced. ] %%

Matt B

We have had to deal with some of these, some even older and all of which were certainly made by older versions of who knows what software. We have had to reuse an older computer that had older versions of PageMaker, Quark, Freehand, etc, and open the old files in whichever program recognized it, then save in a version that could be opened in a later version, until getting back to the versions we run now. Most modern software can only go so far back in recognizing older files. EPS files from that vintage are probably dependent upon an older file recognition that the new software doesn't read.

Probably you have the resource fork of a Mac EPS file somehow moved into a data fork (assuming you are on a Macintosh) or possibly some non-standard EPS preview header from who knows what. :-(

- Dov

Try to open the EPS in a text editor like text wrangler. Sometime you can find some information in the header of the file.

Sorry to be obvious
Did you try to scroll the error info up
I mean, it happened before to me that the error was longer than the lines I was reading
Scrolling up the text box where the error was, I noticed more info such as fonts not in the system
Put the font, restarted distiller and problem solved
Good luck

Did you check out if "Graphic Converter" can recognize the file?
You should have it on your MAC.

MSD

I am currently working on a PC, the graphic artist tried what he could on the mac . I really appreciate everybody help, I am gonna try something like text wrangler for the pc. I emailed myself the files so I could try a few things at home. Does anybody want to try these files for themselves? Matt B.

Edited by: Matt on Jul 18, 2008 10:37 PM

The forum will not allow me to up load the files here, I can forward an email. Matt B.

Just upload it on "mediafire.com" or "zshare.net" or "rapidshare.com' and give us the link

Just ran your files through my Rampage rip and the error reads, see attached pic, but it basically says they are not eps files. Like Dov stated about the lost resource fork, I thought there was atoll to fix bad resource forks, might want to google.

Hi
The 'unknown' document is from Pagemaker 6 (Aldus days!) and the .eps's were from Illustrator 3.
Opening them in a text editor gives some clue in the last line of each.
I can't open them from my newish Macs but will try to dig out an old machine to see if I can.

Andrew

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back