Orange Peel

colirob

Whats the best way to get rid of "orange peel"? Im running a QM 46-2 and my screens just dont come out as clean as they used to.
Cheers

Whats the best way to get rid of "orange peel"? Im running a QM 46-2 and my screens just dont come out as clean as they used to.
Cheers

Is this with all inks, or a process color or with a spot color?

Gordo

Right now I'm running Reflex Blue and its quite noticeable. I think its there on all jobs but it doesnt stand out as much. Only spot colours are run on this machine.

Colin

Right now I'm running Reflex Blue and its quite noticeable. I think its there on all jobs but it doesnt stand out as much. Only spot colours are run on this machine.

Colin

This post might give you an insight into Reflex Blue (and other similar inks).

The Print Guide: How to subdue the Reflex Blue Blues

Look at the presswork with a strong loupe (20-50x) to see exactly what is happening. In solids, if the ink laydown looks like an orange peel with some white paper showing through, there’s probably too much water in the ink. If the dots have jagged edges, soft edges, or a dark spot in the middle, you probably have too much water in the ink.

Buy an inexpensive USB microscope (available on eBay for less than $50) and take pics of your solids and 40% dots and post here.

Best, gordo

Last edited:
New rollers with correct stripes. If not try using a calcium rinse on the rollers if you dont have that use 30 percent white vinegar with 70 percent water. Clean your press with your press wash follow up with the calcium rinse then finish up with either fountain solution or just pure water. Then try your ink again. Make sure your stripe to your plate is less then the stripe to your oscillator. I prefer a strong 3 mm to the plate and a 4 mm to the oscillator. What kind of ink are you using? Start there and see if that helps. FYI certain papers especially cheap ones will mottel when printing. This is the background of the paper and there is nothing you can do about it. Coated sheets should print good solids on that machine.

This is the reason I joined this site. Thanks for all you help....but now I'm going in tomorrow to try and remedy the situation. I guess thats what comes from running a print shop. Fixing rollers on Saturday=unhappy wife
Cheers,

Please confirm what paper stock you are running Colin and I believe we can go from there. There are multiple remedies for the orange peel you are encountering, so I would like to know this information. Brand, basis weight and wheter it is a cover or text stock.

My guess is that this orange peel is happening on all spot colors on the same stock and coverage types, but is much more apparent on dark contrast color like Reflex.

I will await your reply and give you a proper course of action.

D

Also in the link supplied by Gord, the Reflex is referred to as "Red Shade" Alkali Blue. This is wrong.

The Relex blue run for spot colors is Green Shade Alkali Blue. Red Shade Alkali Blue is used mainly as a toner as a complement to the carbon black in a process or single color job black printing ink. The RS is use mainly because it is approximately 20% stronger and lower cost versus the GS.

Just a little correction and educational addition for your knowledge book. D

Thanks for the correction DIM. I will recheck the post and update as required.

Gordo

Last edited:
We dont run a lot of coated sheets on this press. When I posted originally we were running a 60lb Husky Opaque and the first job this morning was a #10 W/W, Supremex. We are using Flint Inks.

Fanoline, petrolatum, same animal. It's industrial Vaseline. It will help the orange peel on offset uncoated. Coated stock would likely be a totally different remedy.

Orange Peel ?

Orange Peel ?

Cheers

First are you running coating when you see this Orange Peel. I find in my plant orange peel is related to coating or the surface of the board we print on.

If is the look of the ink on paper I would ask your rotation. If it first down on a multi color press it could be Back-Trap Mottle you are seeing. In this case move it back as far as possible without giving yourself trap problems.

If it last down in say a six color press I would move it to (5) the unit in front of it and still bump it on six to smooth it out. Also in this case slightly reduce the ink if tack seems to high.

Of course as I see in other reply's don't rule out to much ink and water this could be a real problem as well.

This give you a few options to play with, hope one of them works.

This is a two color common blanket press. No coating. One problem is Husky. There is a lot of calcium used for brightners and it does not print very good solids on any press or ink. In my opinion it was a much better sheet before it became an opaque sheet. It could be part of the problem. I am not a big fan of Flint ink but they have been around a long time. Have they been able to give you any suggestions or support. If it is the only press in your shop you may not get much support from them. I would try and print that same solid and screens on a coated sheet and see what you get. Orange peel is very common with inks with a bunch of transparent white. Do you have a super blue? If so how old is the super blue sheet. Try running with the bungy chords and see if that improves it

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back