Orthodoxy of standards, Is it really wrong to ignore profiles allways?

Lukas Engqvist

In a recent post I was told that if I choose not to colour manage files in CMYK by overriding the Output intent I was violating the PDF-X standard.
I asked a question I would very much like to know seeing there are GWG people, developers and other heavy names in the buisiness. (If I don't get the answer here I will search elsewhere)

If we have a family of profiles made from on set of characterisation data, is it wrong to override the output-intent so that colour values (or strictly speaking stimuli values) are left unprocessed.

example: A job is created using the "ISO Colatedv2 (ECI)500%" ICC profile, the press has been Calibrated to "FOGRA 39" is it a violation to let the values be honoured to avoid a CMYK CMYK conversion? Is it correct to do a CMYK CMYK conversion between FOGRA39 and FORGA27? Is the PDFx laws so rigid that they will sacrifice quality and common sense to be orthodox?

Re: Orthodoxy of standards, Is it really wrong to ignore profiles allways?

> {quote:title=Lukas Engqvit wrote:}{quote}
> If we have a family of profiles made from on set of characterisation data, is it wrong to override the output-intent so that colour values (or strictly speaking stimuli values) are left unprocessed.
>
It depends on which of the various PDF/X standards you are working with, and how the PDF/X is constructed.

For example, PDF/X-1a allows the specification of a characterization data reference (eg. TR001) instead of an embedded profile as the Output Intent. However, if you made your PDF in this way, then you'd be allowed to swap the specific profiles provided they are based on the same characterization data. Be aware that, while valid, specifications from the GWG (and others) don't recommend using this Output Intent choice.

For color managed versions of PDF/X, especially the newer PDF/X-4 and X-5, where the profile is embedded in the Output Intent, then yes - switching profiles would be a violation of the standard since while the characterization data is the same, the actual profiles are NOT.

Leonard

Thanks Leonard, that is exactly the answer I was hoping for, and expecting to get the discussion going. (please don't take the next part personally, I am wresteling with this until either I can fully understand the motivation, or if there are weaknesses that need to be exposed they become clear) I respect the GWG workgroup, and think that they are doing somthin very important for the industry.

That is the rules. Now what about reality.

Does Adobe expect people to understand that? As far as I know Adobe ships Creative suite with Europe Prepress Defaults with FOGRA 27 profile as the default. Consequently every home made designer creating print ready PDF's will create PDF's with FOGRA 27.
Strictly speaking then all offset printers must then honour the ICC profile FOGRA 27, and if they wish to implement the current standard which is FOGRA 39. Ergo every job must be CMYK to CMYK converted to conform to going standards. Or is Adobe expecting everyone to print to FOGRA 27 (which is not possible).

Or

Can I define that my press is both FOGRA 27 and FOGRA 39 and ISO Coated v2 (ECI)?
Is this sensible? Is that what the rules intended?

This means that the PDFx standards encourage CMYK to CMYK conversion, this is contray to what I have heard from the Adobe Partner Seminars, where I have been told that Adobe discourages CMYK to CMYK conversion.

If I create a transparent Device Link profile, I am not violating the rules?

But

If I choose to override a profile conversion, because I know that the characteristics are the same as the charectistics described in the profile (winthin standard deviation) – then I am violating the PDF standard?

– In profile conversions, as any colour maths there is a risk for banding. Adding a rule forcing CMYK to CMYK conversions on homogenous profiles seems to me one of those theoretical utopias which lack real world common sense. Am I alone in this reasoning? Am I the one that should bow to the rules, come what may (opening the door to bandings, impurities of profile defects amplifying insignificant erronous readings, whilst eating up processor power that could well be put to better use in a trapping module). How do consultants argue ( oh I know some get a cut in selling colour servers and device-link software, I was more thinking of when they are wearing their after work hat sitting in the bar ;P). Do all big print houses CMYK-CMYK everything?

Great post! I want to read more feedback!

RE: "Do all big print houses CMYK-CMYK everything?"

CMYK-CMYK everything is certainly gaining popularity with publications (newspaper and magazines) - primarily to apply heavy GCR to reduce ink usage (costs), harmonize separations for better print-ability, and increase color stability on press.

gordo

> {quote:title=Lukas Engqvit wrote:}{quote}
> Does Adobe expect people to understand that?
Of course. As we're also selling shares of a bridge over the San Francisco Bay for anyone that wants ;).

Seriously, as many here and other forums have commented - it's hard enough to get everyone to use PDF/X itself let alone use it correctly. But that's also why we try to enable our software (CS, Acrobat, APPE, etc.) to "do the right thing" as much as it can, so that user's don't need to worry. For example, Acrobat 9's printing system is now PDF/X aware and, by default, will do the rights things with your colors. It also knows about APPE and can send the files directly there w/o any changes!

>As far as I know Adobe ships Creative suite with Europe Prepress Defaults with FOGRA 27 profile as the default. Consequently every home made designer creating print ready PDF's will create PDF's with FOGRA 27.
>
Since FOGRA 27 was the standard at the time we shipped CS3 - I wouldn't expect otherwise _IF_ the user has chosen Europe Prepress. However, since we ship with US Prepress default (aka SWOP) as the defaults, I am sure there are MANY MANY more documents with SWOP as the Output Intent.

> Strictly speaking then all offset printers must then honour the ICC profile FOGRA 27, and if they wish to implement the current standard which is FOGRA 39. Ergo every job must be CMYK to CMYK converted to conform to going standards. Or is Adobe expecting everyone to print to FOGRA 27 (which is not possible).
>
Let's rephrase this a bit...

When printing a PDF/X-4 document with an embedded FOGRA27 profile to a device that is calibrated for FOGRA 39, then Acrobat (or the RIP) will need to do a CMYK->CMYK transformation of any DeviceCMYK data contained in the document as part of the printing process. Since the user proofed their colors with FOGRA27, donig so is the only way that the colors in the PDF can match on plate. "Swapping profiles" will NOT do so - since there are differences in various color values between the two profiles (or they wouldn't have bothered to update, now would they ;).

> Can I define that my press is both FOGRA 27 and FOGRA 39 and ISO Coated v2 (ECI)?
> Is this sensible? Is that what the rules intended?
>
If your press is capable to being calibrated to multiple profiles - great!

> This means that the PDFx standards encourage CMYK to CMYK conversion, this is contray to what I have heard from the Adobe Partner Seminars, where I have been told that Adobe discourages CMYK to CMYK conversion.
>
I can't comment on what you heard or from whom...I can only tell you what the standard says. And, of course, you are welcome to purchase a copy of the spec for yourself and read it as well.

> If I create a transparent Device Link profile, I am not violating the rules?
>
NOT at all! The details of how one does the "CMYK->CMYK transform" is left as an implementation detail in the spec, though covered in a separate "informative" document called the Application Notes. In there, DeviceLink is certainly one (recommended) method.

> If I choose to override a profile conversion, because I know that the characteristics are the same as the charectistics described in the profile (winthin standard deviation) – then I am violating the PDF standard?
>
PDF/X Standard, yes. (and be aware that YOUR definition of StdDev and your customer's may vary)

> – In profile conversions, as any colour maths there is a risk for banding.
>
Banding in a profile conversion? How so?

>Adding a rule forcing CMYK to CMYK conversions on homogenous profiles
>
Actually, PDF/X-4 very clearly states that equal profiles are NOT allowed - so as to avoid this problem. But FOGRA27 and FOGRA39 are NOT equal profiles - they differ, and thus must be converted between the two.

Leonard

Thank you Leonard… I would love to pick this up and look at exactly where the border goes.
I understand you have to fully stand firm on the standard, and I am wanting to see where comon sense compromise is sensible. What I will need to do is look at the deviations between the profiles and exactltly what the real life implication of swaping certain profiles, compared with realistic press deviation. In an idealised world I would agree… but from experience we have had different batches of paper (from the supplier claiming to be identical) and ink give
bigger delta-E than the differences between profiles.
Also yes we do get quite a few SWOP jobs, and if that is the level of the clients, they hardly qualify for arguing deviation. Many clients, and printers do not even recognise the difference between Euroscale and Euroscale v2, which is much greater than FOGRA 27 to FOGRA 39.
What I would like to know is what actual difference you would get converting FOGRA 27 to FOGRA 39 as opposed to doing a relative colometric conversion (noting that FOGRA 27 was changed due to the fact that it was not physically possible to reach the target values in a comercial printing environment). Normally we ask for our customers to supply with source files, and in the InDesign documents we would do the switch by assigning profile.

The information about CMYK-CMYK conversions I mentioned was in the Adobe Parner web seminars.

Unfortunately for the discussion (maybe some will think it is a good thing ;P) I will not be able to do the research I need, as I am needing to prioritise preparing for my ACE exams.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back