Pantone Color Libraries will be removed from future Adobe updates

Stabbing at a solution instead of the purveyors of problematic programs.

Capitalistically: both companies are trying to monetize the description of 'color'.
Legally: anyone can create the name for some certain wavelengths of light, then copyright those names.
Practically: we don't owe either one of them anything and should pressure one of our trade entities to create our own 'system of names' forever beholden to us.

What say, G7 group (etc.)???

Practically: we don't owe either one of them anything and should pressure one of our trade entities to create our own 'system of names' forever beholden to us.
I'm totally with this idea.
Using Pantone colors is like calling MARIO a 1-meter length, then get used to saying MARIO every time you need to talk about "1 meter".

Marcie Foster, Pantone director of brand management and marketing communication, responded and said Adobe and Pantone “have been and continue to be long standing partners”.

“Unfortunately, the current implementation of the Pantone library within Adobe’s Creative Cloud apps are outdated with many missing colors as well as inaccurate information. In order to provide the best user experience for our users, the companies together have decided to remove the outdated libraries and continue to collaborate on a better in-app experience.

“In addition to Adobe, Pantone will continue to explore new partnerships with other digital design focused companies to ensure that users of Pantone can have easy access to our most up-to-date color libraries from whichever design application they enjoy using.”

Adobe had not commented at the time of writing.

“Unfortunately, the current implementation of the Pantone library within Adobe’s Creative Cloud apps are outdated with many missing colors as well as inaccurate information."
Here's a crazy idea...if the Pantone library within Adobe’s Creative Cloud apps are outdated - why not update them?
And if there are many missing colors as well as inaccurate information - doesn't that info come from Pantone and not Adobe?
There appears to be something else going on here.

I don't even know what to say about this. We use pantones regularly here for all our 1 and 2 colour work, sometimes even 3 colour on our QM presses. Not even sure what this means or how this will effect us. What will happen with files that have colours that are pantones? Will Indesign just not see them? Why would Adobe go away from a standard like the Pantone library, specifically Pantone C and U.

Here's a crazy idea...if the Pantone library within Adobe’s Creative Cloud apps are outdated - why not update them?
And if there are many missing colors as well as inaccurate information - doesn't that info come from Pantone and not Adobe?
There appears to be something else going on here.
Gordo: As I stated - all about the money.

Adobe will eventually have a competing, cheaper to them, product
BECAUSE Pantone changed their licensing scheme to charge Adobe to include it a few years back (you remember that mess we are living in, right?)

So Pantone will say something about how the Adobe product has to change in some fashion
and Adobe will say something about how the Pantone product has to change in some fashion.
The Blah Blah Blah legally covers their a$$e$ while they finish pissing on each other.

In the meantime the customers (us) have no idea what is actually happening and the competitors don't give a hoot 'what they think.' <- see that?
Simple really. I did expect something along these lines eventually if they both continued down their respective paths of maximally monetizing their content.
You know how those shareholders are screaming for profits. (snark intended)

Last edited:
I don't even know what to say about this. We use pantones regularly here for all our 1 and 2 colour work, sometimes even 3 colour on our QM presses. Not even sure what this means or how this will effect us. What will happen with files that have colours that are pantones? Will Indesign just not see them? Why would Adobe go away from a standard like the Pantone library, specifically Pantone C and U.
Not to worry. Inks will still be formulated the same no matter what they are called.
And the files will be fine just no opportunity to change the libraries - unless you pay for them.
We have the same issue now on our rips.
We use the 2005?? PMS libraries CAUSE THEY JUST WORK BETTER than the current bloat from Pantone which they somehow think we want to pay them for but haven't.

Funny thing is, there is a mechanism to keep everything current and up to date!!

Funny thing is, there is a mechanism to keep everything current and up to date!!
The third line in your url"our unique licensing model" and when I go to that page they want you to be a licensee.
Hmmmm.
See my post above in reply to Gordo.

Yep, Adobe are a licensee. So this is a way they can get everything current!

The Adobe libraries were dropped from my Acrobat preflight months ago after an update. Adobe played dumb and said they must have been custom libraries that I installed and were no longer compatible. Yeah right. I think I would know what I installed. Especially on multiple machines at multiple companies for years.

This may just be a business-motivated gesture to force everyone to buy subscriptions to Pantone Connect, even though you cannot batch download swatch L*a*b* numbers of entire fan decks. Pantone Color Manager can still do this, at least for now. By this I mean- Pantone Color Manager can export entire fan decks as ASE and ACB files.

One wonders whether Corel and Serif(Affinity) will follow in this.
Pantone has depreciated Pantone color manager in favor of Pantone connect. The download page still exists but the license manager and buy here page have both been removed.

Pantone has depreciated Pantone color manager in favor of Pantone connect. The download page still exists but the license manager and buy here page have both been removed.
For those who own Xrite I1 spectros or who have licensed i1profiler, Pantone Color Manager can be downloaded and will still work. For the moment, that includes connecting to PantoneLive and getting updates of fan deck data.

Personally all I need is the pantone library to select a colour when setting up 1 or 2 colour jobs. Does anyone know anything about the subscription schemes they have going on now? Will Pantone Connect Basic give me the C and U pantone library to use in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop?

Personally all I need is the pantone library to select a colour when setting up 1 or 2 colour jobs. Does anyone know anything about the subscription schemes they have going on now? Will Pantone Connect Basic give me the C and U pantone library to use in InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop?
So you want to know if these two software companies have a coherent strategy to deliver their 'products' to you?
Especially Adobe?
If it doesn't have a dollar sign attached there is no strategy.
If they can't monetize it they don't want you to have it.
They will buy the competing product and kill it.
We should all be happy they let us keep the functionality we already have.
Oh, wait, they are changing that as we speak! ie type1 fonts and color libraries.
Sigh.

Pantone Connect Basic does not give you L*a*b* numbers for individual colors- Pantone Connect Premium does. You want the
L*a*b* number because it is a device independent representation for the color.

The best way to get colors in L*a*b* into InDesign, Illustrator, and/or Photoshop is
an ASE file. Neither Pantone Connect Basic nor Pantone Connect Premium are capable
of generating an ASE file.

Since you are only asking to do one or two Pantone colours per job, Pantone Connect
Premium will allow you to look, on an individual basis, at each Pantone color and get
the L*a*b* number for it. You can then manually enter this in the Adobe applications
when you create a new swatch.

I think a reminder is due here:
Anyone who can make do with the old versions' functionalities of his s/w, should create Virtual Machines of the older computers and thus, can keep on using these computers as VMs and keep using for as long as they like.
If you don't REALLY need the MODERN functionalities past CS 6 - you can go on using these OLDER s/w versions in your new current, powerfull modern computer, under the latest OS, with no additional payments - just buy one software (I use VMware but there are many others, for Mac and other OSs too).
Plenty of educational info on the web and instructional videos on Youtube.
Anyone can hold on to their old files, fonts, Pantone Libraries, etc., save plenty of money and endless work hours.

The problem with using older software like CS6, is that the Pantone libraries are out of date and thus the values are incorrect. I don't remember for sure, but I believe the Pantone libraries have been updated at least one time since CS6 if not twice.
Nice thing though, it would get your color called out and in the ball park, but not exact like one would want with Pantone. But maybe close enough, and when you go to actual print, it doesn't matter as long as the color is called out correctly.

When most everything else has updates to them. They get a new version, code, etc to signify this is updated.
Keeping the exact same Pantone number while changing its values. Is like saying a 10 mm socket is now actually 9 mm but we are going to call it a 10 mm socket.
Perhaps Pantone needs to adopt a new naming convention. One that signifies a revision number, revision year, etc.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back