Paper Warping on KM C70HC - Newbie Question

TheSphinx

Hey all,

I am a new to the world of printing and new to the forum. I did a search for "warp", "warping" and "curling" on the forum and didn't find a solution so I wanted to ask if anybody might be able to help.

We have a KMc70 printer and it is warping the paper during printing. We have had the KM tech guy here almost daily (he is coming back in a few hours). We have tried lowering the fusing temp, using lower weight stock (still programmed in the higher weight), using coated (both gloss and matte), using uncoated, racking paper beforehand, leaving paper out overnight, using a freshly opened pack and putting the printed pages under something heavy to flatten it out directly after printing. We live in Singapore so the humidity is high but our print room is controlled so humidity isn't the issue (at least I don't think it is).

Has anyone had a similar issue and how did you solve it? Does anyone have a KMc70 and if so did you have this issue?

I have heard about putting the paper in so that the "grain" is the right way but I don't know how to tell if it is in the right way or not. Anybody heard of this?

Our base stock is 170gsm, digital gloss coated, SRA3. We have tried 200gsm and 157gsm and 80gsm but that was only A4 sized and not much color used.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated. I am sure it is a user (newbie) error. I can't imagine a printer not being able to print without warping the stock...especially a production printer.

-TS

Hey all,

Sorry to post in my own thread but today we started blowdrying the paper after the print and it has helped dramatically with the warping. It isn't ideal but it helps a lot. It made the ends curl up but that is fine because we trim the ends so once it is trimmed you can't see the curl at all. Adds more time to the process but for much better quality it is OK. The warping goes down to almost indistinguishable levels. I still can see it but that is because I am looking for it. I don't think the average person would notice.

I am just wondering if anybody else has done this (blowdrying after printing) and will it have long-term implications to the quality of the print (which are basically high quality and computer generated illustrations)? Will the paper slowly "re-warp" over time?

We are using Nevia 170gsm gloss coated SRA3 stock...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

-TS

What sort of print coverage are you looking at? Pure volume of what you are printing on the stock may be the cause. If so, blwo drying should be a permanent solution (no re-curl)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back