pdf from Indesign 1 per page

Alien

I have book in Indesign - 160 pages.
I created ps from Indesign, than distilled it.
As a result I have 1 pdf version 1.3 with 160 pages (book.indd.pdf)

Question - how can I make 1 pdf per 1 page?
I mean, page by page:

book_page1.pdf,
book_page2.pdf
book_page160.pdf ?

I need this for send files via Kodak Insite.

Last edited:
Go into Acrobat Professional and with the file open, go to menu click on Document and select extract pages. Make sure you select extract Pages As Separate Files.. It will ask where to save it and pronto, it will create each page as separate file and it will add a # on end

cjwworld, thanks, but it will change the version of pdf.

In my case 1.3 became 1.5 & it is not good because settings of workflow (Prinergy Connect) fail in this case :(

cjwworld, thanks, but it will change the version of pdf.

In my case 1.3 became 1.5 & it is not good because settings of workflow (Prinergy Connect) fail in this case :(

well, then, wow.. I know how to change it but then you would have to change it on all 160. I don't have professional at home but I will check. I do believe you can change your setting to output to 1.3 always. If this is so then you will have to redo the extracting.

But under tools, pdf optimiser, there is where you can change the version but you can input 0 in the other fields but change the version.. I will check on this later on today

If you're using a mac, open Script Editor, paste the following code in the main window, click the "compile" button and run the following script:

--script by Colorblind
--this script exports an open InDesign document as individual PDF pages to a chosen destination
set my_destination to (choose folder with prompt "Choose destination for the PDFs") as string
--if using InDesign CS3 change "Adobe InDesign CS4" for "Adobe InDesign CS3" in the following line
tell application "Adobe InDesign CS4"
activate
set this_page to 1
set doc_name to get name of document 1
set page_count to count every page of document 1
repeat page_count times
set my_page_range to this_page as string
tell PDF export preferences
set page range to my_page_range
end tell
tell document 1
--on the following line "PDFX1a 2001" can be replaced by any of your PDF Export presets
export format PDF type to my_destination & doc_name & this_page using "PDFX1a 2001" without showing options
set this_page to this_page + 1
end tell
end repeat
end tell

It seems ColorBlind has an ideal solution..

There is an setting in Acrobat Professional on convert to PDF, under postscript. Select what settings you want. PDFX1a is suitable or edit it to be version 1.3. then extract all the pages

Yes, AcrobatPro always changes the version of PDF to its own version...

... but if you install PitStop, you then have an option to save the modified PDF with its original version.

(but I am quite surprised that a Prinergy workflow needs 1 PDF for each page??? normally, it should accept a 160 pages PDF...)

But version 1.5 cause problems for some Workflows
Yes... but I'm not surprised by the 1.3/1.5 version problem: I know that many printers don't have up-to-date RIPs/workflows and can only image 1.3 PDFs...

... I'm only surprised by the fact that a printer using a Prinergy workflow needs 1 page PDFs: AFAIK, generally, printers who ask for 1 page 1.3 PDF are those who don't have any equipement for imaging PDF (or don't know how to handle PDFs correctly), and can only image PDF by importing them page by page in QuarkXpress (version 5) pages to image from XPress (which is not a reliable solution)... or, worst, those butchers who transform PDFs in TIFF or JPEG pixels files with Photoshop (which is a crap job)...

... but, normally, a Prinergy workflow (even an old one needing 1.3 PDFs) should accept without any problem the original 160 pages PDF distilled in 1.3 by Alien :confused: :confused: :confused:

And often this demand by a printer of 1 page PDF is caused by (and reveals) either a lack of competence in handling/imaging PDFs, or a very old equipement, like an old out-of-age PostScript level 2 RIP!!!

Last edited:
I suppose you could just export .eps files from InDy
and Distill them.
That would give you individual - flattened pages.

MSD

------
I have book in Indesign - 160 pages.
I created ps from Indesign, than distilled it.
As a result I have 1 pdf version 1.3 with 160 pages (book.indd.pdf)

Question - how can I make 1 pdf per 1 page?
I mean, page by page:

book_page1.pdf,
book_page2.pdf

Thanks to ALL.

1. Yes, Prinergy Connect can accept 160 pages pdf. But in future we plan buy Kodak Insite. Not all customers have good Internet, that is why is better to send job page by page.

2. Yes, Prinergy Connect version 4.1 can use both CPSI and APPE RIP, but we just begin to work (new business), and on the first step I plan to use CPSI RIP.

I found JavaScript which exports single pages from an InDesign document in PostScript, PDF, EPS or JPEG formats.
Adobe - InDesign Scripts

Axaio MadeToPrint for InDesign. You can export single page PDF, EPS and PostScript. You can also create "versioned" documents by defining which layers, layer combinations, etc. are processed. Once that is done you can also control the naming conventions based on the above parameters. Well worth the money. It's the most flexible print/export plug-in available for InDesign and Quark print production (generating output documents) in my opinion. Yes, I sell it, but I also believe it. Download the demo and see for yourself. It's a fully functional 30 day demo.

I do not get change in version, perhaps because I use PDFx1a

I do not get change in version, perhaps because I use PDFx1a

Yes, AcrobatPro always changes the version of PDF to its own version...

... but if you install PitStop, you then have an option to save the modified PDF with its original version.

(but I am quite surprised that a Prinergy workflow needs 1 PDF for each page??? normally, it should accept a 160 pages PDF...)

It seems yet another benefit of sticking to PDFx standards! ;)
I do not get change of version. So "Allways" is not true.
There is also the Document>splitdocument that can be configured to 1(one) pages.

1. Yes, Prinergy Connect can accept 160 pages pdf. But in future we plan buy Kodak Insite. Not all customers have good Internet, that is why is better to send job page by page.
But if it only for a problem of size, and only to send docs with internet, it's perhaps not necessary to split a 160 pages PDF in 160 PDF: you can perhaps limit the splitting and make 20 or 30 or 40 pages files...???

(I don't know how other printers handle this problem, but for me receiving 160 PDFs of one page is a pain in the ass... and in that case, I'll ask the customer to redo its job and send me a single PDF, or I'll charge him many hours of extra work!)

Lukas Engqvist said:
I do not get change of version. So "Allways" is not true.
Yes, I also don't get change of version: I have PitStop ;)

You can add a script to InDesign that will export the pages as single page PDF files and name them exactly as you want, I use APID just because its free and it serves my purpose.

Insite will accept a 160 page document the problem is connection and file transfer time. If the connection is lost you will have to start all over again. The other problem with this is Insite will break this pdf into single pages and will put a number at the end of the file name as it is in the pdf, 160page.1, 160page.2, 160page.3.... So when you need to upload a correction page what will you call it? More than likely if it is page 3 you will name it "page3.pdf". Now you will have 2 page 3's. So it is better to upload them as single pages and name them exactly the same everytime you have a revision, this way eveytime you upload a correction it overwrites the old file.

Created by Camtasia Studio 6

Here you can see how Callas pdfToolbox 4.3 can split the document into single pages. You could use this action as part of your website with the CLI or SDK or as part of the Server product. One thing to note is that pdfToolbox Server/CLI/SDK can generate JPEG's or EPS's of the pages.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back