Peeloff Problems in Thermal Lamination

ponnapati123

We are experiencing peel off problems in thermal lamination. Basically all our lamination products are quite good except for menu cards which are daily absorb little moisture on corners. Due to absorbing moisture on corners lamination is peeling off very quickly(within one week of use). These menu cards are using in well branded restaurant due to this problem they are replacing menu cards oftenly.

How to control attracting moisture on corners of menu cards.Kindly help me on this.For menu cards we are using 350gsm card & 25 micron thermal film.

I presume they are being digitally printed, what machine is it and are you using a digital (extra adhesive) lamination film?

Also are the menu's full coverage, is there toner at the corners where they are peeling?

I presume they are being digitally printed, what machine is it and are you using a digital (extra adhesive) lamination film?

Also are the menu's full coverage, is there toner at the corners where they are peeling?

Thank you for your reply.

Those menus are printed in Heidelberg SM102 machine. We are using regular lamination film only, as per other jobs.

The menu background is light yellow tint and due to handling of menu Bottom & Top sheets are severe effected. Is there any special thermal lamination film to protect edges from absorbing water ?

Do you seal edge the menus? The film being larger than the paper seals to itself to keep out moisture that the cut edge of the paper would allow.

Attachments

• sealed_edge_lam_1318539595.jpg
    sealed_edge_lam_1318539595.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 292
Thank you for your reply

We are not sealing the edges, how to seal the edges of the menus. Which machine is suitable for sealing and what is the procedure.

But i think it will incur high cost !

Your laminator SHOULD seal the edges. You need to trim your products before lamination and then trim a larger size. (as the pic from old guy illustrates). ---This is assuming you are laminating BOTH sides---

Also, check the tension on the lamination rolls. They should be as loose as you can without any rippling on the piece or around the edges.
Many laminators tend to tighten as they run so check that they are not overly tight and that the top and bottom are the same tension (close your eyes and turn them both back and forth by hand).

Moisture can still cause the paper so separate but the adhesive should bond decently well to the page.
You can also try printing in latex rather than oil base.

Have you looked into just printing directly onto synthetic stock?
Veritiv, Mohawk, Relyco and Millcraft all have house brands of synthetic in multiple weights both cover and text. Synthetic will never delaminate.

Pre press substrate preparation in a low humidity storage area might help some. Also, assuming lamination front and back, experiment with varying temperatures, pressures and dwell time.

If you know the 3 referred to properties, please divulge.

D

Pre press substrate preparation in a low humidity storage area might help some. Also, assuming lamination front and back, experiment with varying temperatures, pressures and dwell time.

If you know the 3 referred to properties, please divulge.

D

Thank you all for your expert advise.

As per client requirement we are printing on 350gsm Art Matt paper & both sides lamination. We did adjustments of pressure & temperature but it's not effected much. All our problem is lamination is absorbing moisture.

Is there any film to protect that.

Lamination shouldn't absorb moisture since it's not porous.

If you laminate a 20# sheet does it curl to one direction over the other?

Are you letting the printed sheet dry sufficiently before laminating?

I've laminated sheets at reasonable high humidity and not had much of a problem. What specifically makes you think it's moisture?

Neko2, I do agree. Lamination should equal SEAL.

Very good points you have made that seems need addressing.

End usage possibly underwater tavern, laughing to myself?!?!?!

Let's keep plugging, I have become interested on solution.

D

I doubt it is the lamination absorbing moisture, but the sheet itself absorbing moisture causing the laminate to delaminate. Edge seal or go to a synthetic stock.

Clear Choice,

Give us some tips please.

Recommmended equipment (maybe you'll get a sale), dwell time, pounds per sq. inch, and TEMPERATURE. I realize that all these variables can change based on the laminate, but offer some insight.

I am sure the Planet would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

D Ink Man

Need to know what kind of stock and what type of printer you are using.

Clear Choice,

Give us some tips please.

Recommmended equipment (maybe you'll get a sale), dwell time, pounds per sq. inch, and TEMPERATURE. I realize that all these variables can change based on the laminate, but offer some insight.

I am sure the Planet would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

D Ink Man

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back