Perfect Bind Help

arossetti

I'm having difficulty perfect binding a book that is 46 pages.

Job Specs:
Perfect binder = Standard Horizon BQ270
Print = Digital
Cover = 100# Dull Cover
Body = 24# white (46 pages/23 sheets)
Finish Size = 8.5x11"
Score = None

My binds are very inconsistent, if I get the machine perfectly setup with a nice square spine it will run fine for awhile then fall off after 20-50 books. The issue that occurs is the cover does not seem to be nipped properly. The only thing that could be changing is the glue temp during the run IMO. Tweaking the nip height, nip pressure and side glue seems to fix the issue for a few more books then it changes again and stops nipping correctly.

When I say the cover is not being nippped properly what happens is the cover does not lay flat against the body of the book. If blossoms out.

I have tried thinner stock 12pt, 80# cover but that does not fix the issue. I have tried scoring offline (inline score cannot score that close) but that gives me two new problems. If I make 2 scores (no hinge) the 2 scores no matter how close they are thicker then the body, so the scored spine is thinker then the actual spine causing the spine to be a "nail top" and the nipper cannot squeeze past the spine thickness. If I only use 1 score for the spine the body pages cannot fit inside the narrow score and the book is extremely rounded. This is why I have decided not to score.

I've been trained on small books to increase nip pressure and raise the nip height (shallow) but that combination does not seem to be working, or any for that matter. What am I over looking? How can I make this work? I have created perfect books during the run so I can't assume that this bind is impossible based on the job specs. I just can't get it to be perfect consistently.

I believe I can answer all of your questions. Please contact the Standard Technical Assistance Center at 877-404-4460 ext 5. Ask for Barry Fish

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back