Perfect binder for digital printed satin stock

markymark

We just offer comb/wire/thermo binding and are looking to supply something better. I would like to do perfect binding but am worried about the stock and process. We don't have the volumes to justify £20K+ for PUR which I know would be the ideal.

We have Konica digital printers and can limit our stock to something like Colortech satin 100/120g inside and 250/300g covers.

Are there any systems that will bind well with those as I hear that the glue not fusing properly is an issue?

Does anyone run a system that works I could come and visit in return for good karma and cake!

Thanks in advance.

Story was that KM toner was better than competitors with release oil 'microencapsulated' in the toner and that was true to a point with book papers and appropriate cover stock. EVA (hotmelt) will always struggle with coated stock both text but particularly cover, cross grain direction &c. Take/send sample books to various suppliers of low volume equipment (IFS, Duplo, Watkiss, Friedheim? et al.) for demonstrations and ask for reference sites depending on the outcome. Alternatively use trade binders

Difficulties are relative - there are other issues in making a good perfect bound book and having a suitable binder - spine quality, nipping strength, side glue amongst others. (Once upon a time I was more involved in this …

Take a look at our Sterling Digibinder. The price is $12,950 and we have had success with Konica/Minolta printers. See this testimonial:

"We use The Sterling® Digibinder® to perfect bind books off of our Indigo press. We also bind UV coated stock and oil infused stock from our Konica/Minolta."

Joel Morgan, Color Press, WA

You can see a video of the machine here: Perfect Binders

I would recommend our iglue for difficult jobs. Scroll down to the bottom of this page: Supplies

I will be happy to run samples for you.

Contact me at [email protected]

David Spiel

David, Thank you.

I have seen your system in my research but could not find a UK supplier. Please can you let me know who in the UK distributes it and if they can put me in touch with anyone I can see it running?

I'm sorry but I do not have a UK distributor.

We started selling The Sterling Digibinder back in 2004. Since then, we have sold about 1,000 machines all over the world. We have shipped machines to Russia, Saudi Arabia, Chile, Vietnam, etc. Not a single machine has ever been returned to us.

This is one of the most popular and reliable machines we have sold. Installation should take you less than an hour, including electrical. Maintenance simply involves making sure that the axels which guide the clamp are clean–That’s it. The only parts you should need to replace are notching pins. You may need to replace them once or twice per year depending on usage. The biggest problem we ever have, if rarely, is the failure of a board. We ship out a new board and it can be replaced in minutes.

Phone or e-mail service is good for the life of the machine. We can also use Skype or Face Time, but we have never had to do it for this particular machine. This perfect binder is the best perfect binder that you can buy for under $30,000. Rest assured it is reliable, heavy duty and will bind books for you for many years.

I look forward to hearing from you.

I'm sorry but I do not have a UK distributor.

We started selling The Sterling Digibinder back in 2004. Since then, we have sold about 1,000 machines all over the world. We have shipped machines to Russia, Saudi Arabia, Chile, Vietnam, etc. Not a single machine has ever been returned to us.

This is one of the most popular and reliable machines we have sold. Installation should take you less than an hour, including electrical. Maintenance simply involves making sure that the axels which guide the clamp are clean–That’s it. The only parts you should need to replace are notching pins. You may need to replace them once or twice per year depending on usage. The biggest problem we ever have, if rarely, is the failure of a board. We ship out a new board and it can be replaced in minutes.

Phone or e-mail service is good for the life of the machine. We can also use Skype or Face Time, but we have never had to do it for this particular machine. This perfect binder is the best perfect binder that you can buy for under $30,000. Rest assured it is reliable, heavy duty and will bind books for you for many years.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Do you have anyone in the UK you've sold it to so I could visit and see for myself?

Ten years ago we sold the machine to the following company:

Headly Brothers Ltd.
Mr. Dave Godfrey
01 233 623131

I do not know if they are still using it.

Hi Markymark, just wondering if you got any response from Headly Brothers? Also - perhaps other forum users could say something about this machine?

@Davidspiel - Hi I'm looking for something like your machine, however we normally have insides of our books pre-printed on the webprint - on a 100 to 115 gsm silk coated paper, how does your machine deal with silk coated paper? Books are A5 size - between 100 and 200 pages. Cover is printed on a Digital press - paper is 200/250 silk, with one-sided lamination.

Is there any chance that someone within your organisation could bind 40 -50 books if I was to send you box with insides and covers? I'm based in Ireland.

Many thanks.

Firefighter

Hi Markymark, just wondering if you got any response from Headly Brothers? Also - perhaps other forum users could say something about this machine?
To be honest I haven't progressed that as I cannot commercially consider buying a machine which is not supported in the UK nor that anyone else in the last 10 years in the UK has bought one.

It may be amazing but I need back-up.

My search for a digital binder continues.....

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back