Perfect Binding Odd Finish Size

jpfulton248

I have a customer looking for an unusual perfect bind finish size: 3.5" x 8.5". I've called around to a whole bunch of shops in my state and cannot find anyone that can do this finish size without a lot of extra work. I'd like to find a shop that has a web press that can fold in-line and also perfect binds in house AND can do this finish size without extra manual work (one shop said he would have to cut the paper before the web press and also do some kind of additional cutting after the face trim). I've find a couple that can do it but the quotes are reflecting the extra work involved. Can anyone offer a suggestion on this or maybe just shed more light on the exact process that is needed to get to this finish size? Thx

We are an in-plant and cannot do outside work, but the way we do it might help guide you when looking for other shops with similar gear. We do sizes like this quite frequently...bound on the short or long edge. We have Konica Minolta's with their in-line perfect binder. If it is bound on the 3.5" edge, we run them 3up on 8.5x11, and just trim down. If it's bound on the 8.5" edge, we run them as 5.5x8.5 books, then just do a face trim down to 3.5. The Konica Minolta's can run up to 1" thick books. You mentioned a web press, so it sounds like you might have very high quantities. We have done runs of 3,000-5,000 without a problem.

Just like Jwheeler said only leave as much space as possible between books. That way the books don't get damaged in cutting.

We are an in-plant and cannot do outside work, but the way we do it might help guide you when looking for other shops with similar gear. We do sizes like this quite frequently...bound on the short or long edge. We have Konica Minolta's with their in-line perfect binder. If it is bound on the 3.5" edge, we run them 3up on 8.5x11, and just trim down. If it's bound on the 8.5" edge, we run them as 5.5x8.5 books, then just do a face trim down to 3.5. The Konica Minolta's can run up to 1" thick books. You mentioned a web press, so it sounds like you might have very high quantities. We have done runs of 3,000-5,000 without a problem.

I can't believe you run jobs that big on digital. This job was 8,000 books. I ended up bowing out because the customer wouldn't let go of the price he wanted to pay (he wanted to pay $640 less than the price I could get). After a lot of time and a fair amount of back and forth I flat out told him that my profit margin was shit and just not worth taking on a job that big to profit so little.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back