PitStop and CS4

WharfRat

I'm running CS4 with Acrobat 9 and PitStop 08 update 2
Basically the update 2 is just that
and looks and feels the same as 08.
Today -
for the life of me -
I couldn't find the "button" to simply
select an image and change (convert) it to grayscale.
( I couldn't even find a Pitstop "action" to do it)
I could open the pix in Photoshop and change to grayscale
(which I prefer anyway)
but ...
does anyone know where that is hiding in PitStop 08?

Thanks,
MSD

Last edited:
I'm running CS4 with Acrobat 9 and PitStop 08 update 2
Basically the update 2 is just that
and looks and feels the same as 08.
Today -
for the life of me -
I couldn't find the "button" to simply
select an image and change (convert) it to grayscale.
( I couldn't even find a Pitstop "action" to do it)
I could open the pix in Photoshop and change to grayscale
(which I prefer anyway)
but ...
does anyone know where that is hiding in PitStop 08?

Thanks,
MSD

If it's one image?
- Use the select object tool (purple arrow) to select the image.
- Open the Inspector, double check in the top left corner if you really have the image selected (it should say '1 image selected'.)
- Go to the fill/color category on the Inspector (first one) and click on the fill color subcategory.
- You'll see the CMYK slider and look for the little fly-out menu (just right below the top category toolbar).
- Choose 'Convert to CMYK (using Preferences)

If it's for the complete page or document?
Create an Action List and store it as a QuickRun.
- Open the Action List control panel (under 'Window' menu)
- Select the local database
- Go to 'manage --> New'
- click on the little + icon
- search for the follow actions:
* Select images
* Select by colorspace (E.g. if you only wants RGB image) -> define 'Device RGB' for the other elements
*AND
* Convert color -> Define 'Device CMYK'
- Hit OK

Storing it as a QuickRun for future reference?
- Go to Tools -> Enfocus QuickRuns -> Configure...
- Provide a name and select the Action List you just created.
The QuickRun is now add to your Acrobat toolbar, so just clicking on it will convert all RGB images (in this case.)

Cheers,
Brain

Great response, quick question though...

When using the fly out menu on the right, it says Convert to xxx (using preferences). Is there a way to change the preferences to a profile of our choice? Can't seem to change the default profile, and changing the profiles in the color management prefs doesn't seem to change anything.

Thanks!

Great response, quick question though...

When using the fly out menu on the right, it says Convert to xxx (using preferences). Is there a way to change the preferences to a profile of our choice? Can't seem to change the default profile, and changing the profiles in the color management prefs doesn't seem to change anything.

Thanks!

There are several ways to work with your own color settings.

You can change the settings in the PitStop Preferences under Color Management. These settings are used for actions like the ones in the fly-out window of the PitStop Inspector.
Especially interesting if you only need to configure the correct settings.

When you need to change the color settings depending the files opened in Acrobat, a better option will be using the Convert Color panel. the panel allows you to override any color setting used in the preferences at that moment.
You select the object of choice and select the ICC Profiles and rendering intent you would like to use.
This panel also supports DeviceLink Profiles.
One thing to remember is that this panel uses the Color engine set in the preferences. There is no way to change the engine on the spot.

Cheers,
Brain

Thanks for the feedback. I've found the Convert Color panel, and find it extremely useful. Only problem with it is i can't get the Target Profile and Render Intent to stick, every time i change it, it changes back to defaults. I've tried changing my settings in the Pitstop Color Management as well, but that doesn't seem to carry over to the Convert Color Panel. Is there another color setting i'm missing? or is that proper behavior for that panel.

Over all, very happy with this new version!

jritchie,

The convert color panel is specifically designed to overrule any other CMM preference. That's why it turns back to it's defaults when your previous settings were applied.
Of course it does take the ICC tags into account when selecting objects.

cheers,
Brain

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back