Plate filing system

Does anyone have a special way they store job ready plates?? Right now all we do is lean the plates up against the wall. We are wanting to build a plate rack system. To purchase a rack system of these is outrageous. So does anyone have ideas or pics of a plate rack system.

Oh ya we are not storing the plates flat they will be bent company doesn't think pressman should bend their own plates.

This style is quite popular. Easily made using wood it's essentially an open envelope around 3 inches deep. There is a hole in the top so that it can be lifted easily. Plates and proofs are loaded into the "envelope". The job docket is in a clear envelope on the outside. Several of these (i.e. a morning shift's jobs) can be put onto an office dolly and simply wheeled out to the press by either the plate inspector or press operator.
Portfolio.jpg

best, gordo

Where I work, we create a paper envelope (heavy stock like 100 lb card stock) that is taped on three sides making a pocket. We place a reference number on the pocket, usually our plate number and the item number of the particular job so we can find it easily and store like plates in the same area near the press they are used on. My company had some old very narrow shelved cabinets that they turned onto their side and the plates are stored in these vertically.

Bill Jacobs

Where I work, we create a paper envelope (heavy stock like 100 lb card stock) that is taped on three sides making a pocket. We place a reference number on the pocket, usually our plate number and the item number of the particular job so we can find it easily and store like plates in the same area near the press they are used on. My company had some old very narrow shelved cabinets that they turned onto their side and the plates are stored in these vertically.

Bill Jacobs

We're doing almost the same thing in most locations but Shelves are horizontal. We also reuse the slip sheets in between the plates that are placed in the sleeve to prevent scratching.

Bill Jacobs

We do the same thing and when job is printed, plates gets recycled, plate bags filled with trend pulls which we keep for a while and than reuse plate bags for new plates.
The only problem we have is bindery sometimes "steals" our plate bags and use them to wrap certain jobs or something :)

we had one of these built. see attached. - Roger - J.S.McCarthy Printers

Attachments

• plate_rack.qxd.pdf
    6.7 KB · Views: 210

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back