Poly Laserplate apocalypse

robbg439

I know I'm not the only small shop using the HP5100 / poly laserplate workflow for most of their small press work. The last shipment of plates I ordered (which are labelled Genie 5000 brand) were a mess. Many plates in the box had random sensitized areas, the plates had terrible toning issues. They were barely usable, and made any job be 10x harder and last 10x longer than it should. I had the supplier send me some replacements, but the plates that arrived (labelled on box as Genie 5000-2) were clearly a different material. They are thinner (4 thousands of an inch as opposed to 5 thousands) and more opaque than the old plates. I also can't get them to print at all, they scum up almost immediately using my tried and true inks and chemistry.

I ordered some "Run 10,000" plates from a different supplier thinking maybe they would be similar to the old plates I used to get, but my order got backordered. I just got off the phone with the supplier, and learned a couple things. 1) A single overseas manufacturer makes laserplates for seemingly every brand that still exists. 2) the issues I was having were widespread with these plates for a while 3) The genie 5000 poly plates I've been getting for years are now discontinued by the manufacturer, and only the thinner plates are being supplied. These plates are obviously inferior to the old plates. They only rated for 5,000 impressions as opposed to 10,000 (which means the real world numbers are much lower). They are thinner and will stretch more on press, so registration will be even more of a nightmare. 4) Most importantly, I just can't get them to work at all.

So now I'm at a spot where the workflow I have been using in my shop for the past 15 years has seemingly vanished before my eyes. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do.

Does anyone have a supplier for reliable poly laster plates anymore?

Does anyone have any tips on getting these new, thin plates to run. They are called Diamond MXP plates by some suppliers, Genie 5000-2 by others. For reference, I am running Crestline dampeners, 7-1 mix of pro-3 or similar universal fount solution, sometimes using ARS-X fountain additive for scumming problems.

Is there alternative platemaking solutions out there that make sense for tiny shops running tabloid presses? I realize the 5100 printers are getting old, and the toner cartridges are pretty much no longer available, and when they are they are long past their expiration date. I guess this way of printing is dying in a lot of ways. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for posting this! I am sorry to say I don't have a solution for you, but wanted to chime in and say we've experienced this as well, going back about two years. However, we use inkjet setting plates, not laser. Not sure how technologically different the two plate technologies are - but the plates you mentioned are polyester just like ours. The packaging looks exactly the same as well. I'm sure they have different coatings for the different print processes, but they look quite similar. We have to bake ours in an oven, which I'm betting you don't have to do because of the heat involved with laser printing.

We've all but completely abandoned our press workflow because of it. We're an inplant, so we only rarely run orders of 10k or more - so it hasn't been much of an issue for us. What we've ended up having to do is print 3-5 plates even if we would normally only need one. We've noticed the plates we get would have the same toning/imaging issues, but intermittently. We discovered we can get most of our 10-20k runs done by printing a bunch of plates, hanging them, and swapping if there are immediate issues. I've also noticed that our 10k rated plates are barely able to maintain 5k when we get a perfect one. Very frustrating indeed.

For a point of information, we are using
InkJet Poly Plate, 12-3/4” x 18” x .008”
with an Epson P5000.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back