positioning software???

kristianeyman

hello, first let me say thank you in advance as i am not a designer by any means. i have a problem with putting bleeds on my digital and offset jobs. i run 24 up business cards on 12x18 with a 1mm bleed (9x5cm), but when i go to print the job it does not translate to the printed sheet. i currently run adobe cs5, and corel 11, but once again i am not a designer by profession and have asked for help but i cannot seem to get this right? so my question, is there a software out there that i can use to plug in a business card or flyer and it will put on the bleed, then all i have to do is just duplicate the file or add different files to the sheet? thanks in advance for you help, kristian.

Why do you have problems adding bleed? It is easier to account for the bleed as you are constructing your document then you don't have to worry about it. Are you having a problem understanding the concept of bleed? or are there issues with your artwork that don't allow you to add it? If you build your business cards with bleed (3.5 x 2 with 1/8 bleed for a total size of 3.75 x 2.25) you can build your template in InDesign 24 up on a 12 x 18 sheet. Put the trim marks on their own layer. Then, make a .pdf of your 1-up business card with bleed and bring it into your InDesign template. You can use the links palette to change the all of the links or just a few depending on your needs.

I understand the concept o the bleed and how I would setup a card IF I was designing it. The problem is that I get many designs in various formats PDF,crd,jpeg... And I cannot figure out how to add the bleed? Like I said I am not a designer, but I have watched many videos hoping that I could fight my way through. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One way to easily solve this is to purchase an imposition solution that corrects bleed automatically. We offer 2 imposition solutions that will help you. Depending on other features you'll want, pricing varies between $450 and $990 for a hot folder based version. Contact me directly if you have questions. raymond @ imposition .com

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics
www. imposition.com

Ray, automatically adding bleed to an imposition that only has background up to the trim sounds great! Does it matter, or is there a limitation if the background is vector, raster or a combo of vector/raster? Does it only work with a flat colour fill, or can gradations, texture, repeating horizontal, vertical or diagonal lines or variable photographic content be automatically extended?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Ray,

I too would like to know how the software adds bleed. Especially to a page that has a 4 color image that stops at the trim as well as gradients, repeating lines, etc.

Kristianeyman,

The only solution I see is to manually add the bleed (where you can) or by enlarging the card within the template to get bleed. But you may run into problems enlarging it if you have type or other elements that are close to the trim to begin with. You could try educating your clients, but sometimes that is like talkiing to a cement wall.

hello, first let me say thank you in advance as i am not a designer by any means. i have a problem with putting bleeds on my digital and offset jobs. i run 24 up business cards on 12x18 with a 1mm bleed (9x5cm), but when i go to print the job it does not translate to the printed sheet. i currently run adobe cs5, and corel 11, but once again i am not a designer by profession and have asked for help but i cannot seem to get this right? so my question, is there a software out there that i can use to plug in a business card or flyer and it will put on the bleed, then all i have to do is just duplicate the file or add different files to the sheet? thanks in advance for you help, kristian.

1 mm is too small. The standard is 3 mm.

What do you mean when you say "when i go to print the job it does not translate to the printed sheet"?

How are you outputting your files?

Are you building bleed into the documents, or are you specifying a bleed in the output settings?

@ Ray Duval - add bleed to a business card automatically ?

@ Ray Duval - add bleed to a business card automatically ?

would love to see that on the card I attached. What would you do in this case - enlarge the back ground image some small percentage - the bottom blue object - well, no big issue there, but...

Attachments

• NoBleed2.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 188
Guys, just back from the road... sorry about the delay.
Our imposition solutions (like Absolutely Imposing or Impostrip OnDemand) can correct bleed, adjust pages and do scaling.
In terms of bleed correction, I have not heard any customers complaining about issues, but then again, with PDF files, you never know.
The best is to try it out as we offer fully functional trial licenses.

Contact me directly to get a trial license.
Best,

Ray Duval
Ultimate Technographics

Last edited:
I'm curious how this works.

I've always wondered if there was software that could do something like this (see attached)

Attachments

• NoBleed3.pdf
    631.9 KB · Views: 194

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back