PosterPrint question..

Robert carter

I am new to large format inkjet printing, my background is in offset printing. anyways I made a file in illustrator and opened it in photoshop and saved it at the proper dpi. I opened the PosterPrint program and imported the file. when I do that, all I see is the bounding box. What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP. :D

Sounds like a rather convoluted method to print (too many steps, room for error, unproductive etc). If using a printer driver, I would save all vector or raster work as a PDF and then print from Acrobat Pro or Reader using the printer driver. If using a RIP, I would drop the PDF into the RIP hot folder.

What is “PosterPrint” software? Is it a printer driver? Is it a RIP? Can you provide a web link to this product? What file format did you save from Photoshop (is the colour mode, file format or compression options accepted by “PosterPrint”)? What type of printer make/model?

Stephen Marsh

When you opened it in photoshop, and then saved it out- what format did you save it in, and did you assign a profile to that file?

PosterPrint is the program that came with the Mutoh Toucan Hybrid Printer. Being new to this type of printing I assumed I was supposed to use the posterPrint program. I saved the file as a pdf. I was told that I needed to use the RIP program.

Would this be the RIP bundled with the Mutoh?

Products | PosterPrint | ergosoft | rip solutions

I stand by my original comments. Save the Illustrator file as a PDF directly from Illustrator (no need to rasterize it in Photoshop, that is why you have RIP software, it is more efficient than using Photoshop).

Input the PDF into the PosterPrint software via whatever method you can (hot folders, a drop zone, an open, add or input menu or button etc).

Stephen Marsh

Actually, Posterprint can directly import the Illustrator file.

Can I presume that we can agree that there is no need to take the file into Photoshop?

Yes, I saw this in the list of accepted file formats. This of course brings up three questions:

1) Is this .AI with PDF compatibility turned on or off? Some software can only work with with an .AI file that contains PDF data and not with native AI data (it does not truly handle .AI format, it uses the embedded PDF data instead).

2) If the .AI file has PDF compatibility turned off, how does it handle fonts used in the native file? Do fonts need to be outlined to paths?

3) What version of Illustrator file format is accepted?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Actually one of the biggest problems I am having is that I am running windows on my mac because the posterPrint that came with the Mutoh is for Windows XP and I don't know how to get the ai. from my mac to the windows XP part of my mac. and once you great guys tell me how to do that them hopefully I will understand how to send the file through the poster print. I have a slight learning disability so please be patient with me. You might have to tell me something more than once. Thanks you Sirs.

Actually one of the biggest problems I am having is that I am running windows on my mac because the posterPrint that came with the Mutoh is for Windows XP and I don't know how to get the ai. from my mac to the windows XP part of my mac. and once you great guys tell me how to do that them hopefully I will understand how to send the file through the poster print. I have a slight learning disability so please be patient with me. You might have to tell me something more than once. Thanks you Sirs.

Robert, how are you running Windows on your Mac?

* Bootcamp (reboot between Mac and Win)

* Parallels VM software

* Fusion VM software

* Virtual Box VM software

* Other

Stephen Marsh

here is the latest, the printer "mutoh Toucan Hybrid" is having negative pump pressure problems. Any thoughts? the printer looks to be more than 10 years old. but was put in storage very well preserved. this thing looks like a new machine. The who gave it to me said that the former owners took very good care of their equipment.

VirtualBox is “fun” to setup (don’t get me wrong, it is great - however you get what you pay for).

It is too hard to explain in text without setting up an install. I have a VB install to do in the next month or so and I can document the process then… Until that time:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

Make sure that you have the Windows Guest Addition installed (follow point 4.2.1)

Then setup a shared folder as in points 4.3

In the short term, if you have another network drive that the Mac and the Windows install can both see, use that. Otherwise use a USB stick.

There are many VB install videos on YouTube, I would suggest that you check them out.

Stephen Marsh

Thanks, we did as you said and it worked great, thank you Sir. now we are dealing with an negative pump pressure on the mutoh toucan hybrid, any thought? remember this machine hasn't been operated in 3 years, could this be a start up issue?

Thanks, we did as you said and it worked great, thank you Sir. now we are dealing with an negative pump pressure on the mutoh toucan hybrid, any thought? remember this machine hasn't been operated in 3 years, could this be a start up issue?

Glad you have it sorted, shared folders can be a pain to setup in VB if you have not done it before.

As for your Mutoh hardware issue, sorry I can’t help there. I would suggest that you create a new post in the appropriate forum, as this is the Variable Data forum and you may not get the right traffic to your post here (you are probably lucky that you got as far as you did).

Stephen Marsh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back