Powder issue with our friction collator

funwork

Hello.
We are in the process of replacing our friction collator (PLOCKMATIC 310) by a vaccum one (should be a Horizon or a Duplo)

One of the reason that lead us to this decision is the fact that we collate only NCR papers (12x18) and the printer that supply us use a lot of powder on the printed sheet.

Each 2 hours we have to stop the collator, clean the feeding rubber and that mean we lost time doing this.

At the end of the day we are able to collate on average 1500 3 sheet sets per hour when I think we could do better.

Does any one have an idea on a work around this problem.
We try to move our printer to stop using this powder but on the other hand I would like to know if a air dispenser would help.
I think that placing some kind of pulsed air mecanisme on top of the sheets for each bin would help and clean the paper from that damned powder !

By the way, do you have a tip to change or improve the feeding rubber on a friction collator ?

Thanks a lot for your return.

Frank

Tell your supplier to turn down the powder or you will find another supplier! I doubt you will be able to "blow" off the powder in any way that will make an improvement.

Powder issue with our friction collator

Frank
If you are collating only or primarily NCR paper, there is a collator specifically designed to do your job. It is a suction fed collator called the Didde Speed Klect. The Speed Klect will collate sheet up to 15" deep X 19" wide, from carbon paper to Tag and heavier at speed up to 5000 sheets per hour. The collator will also glue the sets together and number them as it collates then, If you would ever need to do that.
The amount of powder on the sheet will not affect the collator's ability to do your job. Of course, if the powder is causing other problems, you can still ask the printer to reduce the powder on the sheet.
If you wish to discuss this further, please call me Larry Lindquist 425 353 4490 (Seattle area) I do think I can help
Larry

Tell your supplier to stop using powder period. We run carbonless everyday, and never turn on the powder, and have never had a transfer issue. Carbonless paper, regardless of the brand, is very forgiving as far as offset problems. We run alot parent size 17x22 on our Komori and stack it deep and do not have any problems. Watch the ink coverage, use the RIGHT ink and they should have no problems.

Frank
If you are collating only or primarily NCR paper, there is a collator specifically designed to do your job. It is a suction fed collator called the Didde Speed Klect. The Speed Klect will collate sheet up to 15" deep X 19" wide, from carbon paper to Tag and heavier at speed up to 5000 sheets per hour. The collator will also glue the sets together and number them as it collates then, If you would ever need to do that.
The amount of powder on the sheet will not affect the collator's ability to do your job. Of course, if the powder is causing other problems, you can still ask the printer to reduce the powder on the sheet.
If you wish to discuss this further, please call me Larry Lindquist 425 353 4490 (Seattle area) I do think I can help
Larry

Are they still in the market?
Didde Speed Klect is specific solution for NCR?

Thanks for all your answer.
For the DIDDE collator, it should be a little big as we collate on average 2500 to 5000 sets on the good days !
A vertical collator is what we need.
A friction collator is Ok and despite this powder issue we don't have any problem collating as we collate 3000 sets per hour even with this powder issue.

We are kind of affiliate to the printing company so the "close the door strategy" is not an option.

We have tracked down this powder problem to the point that the printer is starting to consider the fact that he may lose powder even when it's closed.

I'll let you know.

For the vaccum collator I'm not even sure that it would do better than a friction one on NCR sheets (of course if the powder issue is fixed).
NCR sheets are so thin I'm not sure a vaccum feeder is a better choice than a friction feeder for that kind of application (we never collate coated stock)

Anyway, thanks for your answers

Tell your supplier to stop using powder period. We run carbonless everyday, and never turn on the powder, and have never had a transfer issue. Carbonless paper, regardless of the brand, is very forgiving as far as offset problems. We run alot parent size 17x22 on our Komori and stack it deep and do not have any problems. Watch the ink coverage, use the RIGHT ink and they should have no problems.

I run from 500,000 to 1,000,000 11x17 carbonless a month and have never used powder once on it.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back