PPF file containing both sides of sheet for perfector?

prepressRob

My company is in the process of installing a new Komori perfector. The manual for the software that translates the PPF file to PQ4 describes 2 ways to create PQ4 containing both sides of the sheet. Option 1 is to feed it individual PPFs for each side and link them manually. Option 2 is to feed it a PPF containing both sides. Option 2 is far more attractive as is could then pull the PPF from a hotfolder and generate the PQ4 automatically without operator intervention. The question is, how to get a PPF from Nexus that contains both sides of the press form.

The PDF going into Nexus contains 1 sheetwise form, though could contain more. I can get 2 PPFs, but can't get one PPF with both sides. Putting a "Select Page" mod at the beginning of the workflow breaks out the sides and names them appropriately. This is followed by "Rasterize Separations", which shows temp output named appropriately. However, the result is always one PPF containing only the B side of the form. The preps filter is on in the CIP3 module, according to the manual this should negate the "Side" option set in the CIP3 mod, yet the result is the B side of the form, labeled "Front" (default).

Any thoughts? I'm sure I'm not the first to attempt this . . . AE14 with Imaging Engine, Nexus 10.1.3, Preps 5.3

You need the presslink module to get a 2 sided ppf file. I believe it is part of the PDF rip or possibly the pdf processor.
Call support for help creating this workflow if you have the needed module. Imaging Engine does not yet support CIP3 natively. A workaround can be created.

Another option would to use http://wiki.esko.com for a vast selection of KB articles for self help.

Last edited:
Thank you Marko, this looks promising. I got to it as soon as I dealt with the usual morning fires and all looks good - except - "No License!"

Last edited:
Yeah it is license dependant. Call your Esko sales and see what they can do for you.

Your other option might be to combine the PPF in the what ever software you are using for reading the CIP3 (like Heidelbergs Prepress Interface)

I've reached out to our Esko rep, hopefully we can get it taken care of soon.

We can manually combine (link) the 2 PPFs using the software (Komori PCC), but are hoping to keep it as automated as possible. The software will open and translate files from a hotfolder all based on a template, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to reliably link 2 PPFs automatically and produce a single PQ4, ie selecting 2 files based on file names.

Thanks for all your help.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back