Laminator advice (500k sheets/year, double-sided)

weakerthans

Hi. I am new to this forum (started to read a few months ago). I own a school-material publishing company and we bought a Konica C6000 digital press 3 months ago based on some of the reviews I have read (we used to outsource our digital printing). I am now looking at a laminator since we currently outsource a large volume annually.

I need to laminate (double-side) 500,000 18x12 sheets annualy (10pt to 14pt cover stock) that were printed on the Minolta printer. Currently, the company who laminates our production uses a roll-machine (with a 11.75" 1.5mil PET film). They have one operator feeding the sheets, one operator trimming the output. It then needs to go on a stack cutter since the final format is 8.5x11 (2 UP on a 18x12).

I am looking at a more automatic option as having 2 operators is not an option for my company. I looked at the Matrix 370/530 and GBC 620os laminator, which are both single-sided laminator. They feature a bursting feature to separate the sheets so that I get 3 sides out of 4 that are plastic-free and the output is ready for the cutter. They both have an automatic feeder in option too, but both company advised me not to buy it as it would not work when doing the second side and because my sheets need to be kept in a strict order. I still would need someone to feed manually 2x500k sheets.

So basically, I am looking at some suggestions on other laminator to consider. In a perfect world, it would have a feeder, laminate double side and trim the output. I want to use a PET film (1.2 or 1.5) and it would be a bonus if the laminator could also run some OPP films.

Thank you

I am based in Canada so that may limit my options as I need a company who can provide tech service if required.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back