Pre Perforated Sheets through digital machine?

Hi Guys

I'm a little concerned about doing something with our digital machine and wanted to come here and ask if it's possible or would it cause problems for the machine.

We have a job which we usually print digitally on our ricoh c751ex machine. It's 2 x A4's printed SRA3 with a 6mm gutter. This is then perforated on our cylinder afterwards. The perfs are consistent horizontally and vertically and spaced 27mm x 27mm. So it's like a sheet of 27mm x 27mm tickets at the end. Some body as just thrown in a suggestion to our boss and basically they are thinking about pre-perforating these sheets and then running through the digi afterwords so we don't have to keep setting up the cutting forme on the cylinder each time it comes in as they are usually short runs.

I'm just worried it could affect the fuser or drums or something inside the machine. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks in advance.
Paul

We tried doing this for booklets on a Xerox 4127. The amount of waste was unacceptable, feeding was damn near impossible. We knew it was a long shot but we figured we would give it a try. I wasn't worried about it messing with any of the internal parts however. Anything that would receive an unusual wear pattern from a long run of this would have been replaceable any how.

If your fuser/drums are not customer replaceable and not under a contract I might give a little more caution but my guess is it will be too hard to feed enough sheets through to do any real damage.

We do a lot of this kind of work. The trick is when you perf it, you must flatten the pert or you will have trouble. We run iron out wheels on our webs, so this process is done in line.

We run a lot as well on all our machines (x800, iGen4 & nuvera) what we found out works best is doing a micro-perf and flattening the sheets as HPC said.
Good Luck

Thanks for the replies to this its highly appreciated. I will inform the finishers and ask them if we can have a look at doing this before we put them through the digi. Thanks again!

We run a lot as well on all our machines (x800, iGen4 & nuvera) what we found out works best is doing a micro-perf and flattening the sheets as HPC said.
Good Luck

How do you all flatten out the perf? Close the plates on the folder and run it through or is there a better option?

A Micro Perf does not need flattened. It is a perf blade that rides directly on a anvil the merely crushes the paper fibers. It does not "punch" through them.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back