PREPRESS / CSR integration

slehning

We are a mid size printing company that also offers fulfillment, composition design, technologies, etc.

I have been involved in the trade for over 25 years and have seen many of changes as the industry has evolved. For the most part I have been involved as a prepress operator but in recent years I have made the transition to a CSR position.

My heart has always been in the prepress field, I have always tried to stay on top of technology, PDF work flow, Color management, and have done some investigating into JDF.

Recently I have made it back into prepress as a prepress manager. We are a commercial printer that prints, UV coats, die cut, package and fulfill print projects, etc. We have an array of offset presses and we have two digital Indigo presses as well. So obviously we do an array of work.

Here comes the main point to my inquiry here. We have recently, in the past year adopted the POD concept, in which basically we are functioning as prepress and CSR's are together in groups. The CSR's then hand off work to other members in their given group.

I have only been with this company for 2 years now, but the one problem I see with this work flow here is that the prepress department was running still as an old school specialized shop. You had a guy mainly just doing color, another guy mainly just doing imposition, etc. My goal is to bring everyone up to speed to be well rounded enough to be able to function in the POD concept. When I was a prepress operator in the shop I was at prior, we were all well rounded enough to take a job from A to Z, so I get it.

The problem now comes in that the real big push by the company is now for me and the CSR manager to meld the two departments into one. They want the CSR's to learn prepress and the Prepress to be CSR's.
They want the CSR manager who has some basic understanding of prepress, to handle prepress issues with his assigned POD's and for me to handle prepress for my assigned POD's.

Right now I am doing both CSR duties while trying to manage the prepress department. I feel that we are way behind the times in automation, so that is also my goal as well. Our MIS system is not JDF compliant but there are rumors of looking at another MIS, but I also know this may or may not happen.

My main question is after describing our company is " How many other shops out there have done this work flow by integrating CSR's to be Prepress and Prepress to be CSR's. I know down the road with technology, it may come to this. But basically the training has to be done at the customer level. If the customers are not supplying the means to automate their work, this will never come down to this.

Also, is Offset printing going to die off that quick and be taken over by the digital presses that quick that there is that big of a push for this to happen? There is allot of work being done on the Indigo that just prints, cuts, and carton packs, out the door it goes, that I can see this as fesible.
But what about 6/C print jobs with metallics, that spot UV coats, die cuts, scores, stitches folds with cross overs, etc.
There is still enough of a craft to this job that if we pass off to a mere novis, we will have horrific results.

As I say, I have tried to keep up with the changes in the industry, but this is going way to fast, way too soon. Or is it me. Is this leading technology or bleeding technology. Just looking for some feed back here.
Do I fight the battle or go along for the ride.

Thanks in Advance for the help.

Incorporating some prepress into the customer service "pre-production" area in a team approach is becoming very popular. The idea is to have a one or more people with prepress experience in the customer service area so that customer supplied files can be immediately level I preflighted upon receipt of the customer's files and prior to writing up the order. Level I preflight is the checking of files to identify their content and potential problems by using a combination of preflight software and/or opening the files with the native application.

This eliminates the back and forth handoffs (non-value added activities in “Lean” terms) between customer service and prepress when the files have issues or the files are different then what the customer has ordered. These differences or issues often account for 50% – 75% of all customer supplies files in many printing companies.

Ecommerce and MIS solutions are becoming more capable of allowing the customer to prepare their files online (to the printer’s specifications), preflight their existing files online, and generate an online soft proof for approval; - - before the order or files even enter the printer’s facility. As theses ecommerce and MIS solutions progress, the need for prepress will disappear.

It will be a very long time before offset presses die off. Some products are best suited for digital presses like the Indigo, and other products are best suited for offset presses. So it really depends on the products your company produces.

Actually we just had our Preproduction Dept. dissolved. CSRs and Prepress were under one dept.for about 4 years. We were told over and over that we are all "Customer service", it was quite a struggle to get everyone working as one, but we finally did.

But that all changed recently, we have added new mailing and digital print capabilities which i had heard led to the changes, nobody really knows? We will continue to work with CSRs as normal but now with different leadership, each dept.will have there our own agenda, which will eventually lead to problems.

I've been doing some/a lot of this (depending on the environment) with customers when implementing Enfocus Switch. I think much of what you are wanting to do can be done by "non-techies" and leave the heavy edits/work for prepress. Using something like Switch in the up front workflow there is a lot we can do to ease the burden on prepress and improve communications.

I'd be happy to show you some of what can be done and talk through it with you. Give me a call on my cell any time. No pressure...

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back