Prepress standards for Large Format Imposition

Qbot

Most of the files I work with these days are for Large Format. Typically we get anywhere from 1 file per job number to 50 files and beyond. Supplied files from customers can be pdf, Illustrator or Indesign. We Impose in Indesign. My question is this. If files are supplied in Illustrator would one choose to place the Illustrator file in the imposition or make a pdf of each individual art board and place the pdf? I feel it's a better option to stay with the Illustrator file and use the "show import options" in Indesign to bring in what art board (page) is needed (also gives me the option to turn layers on and off). I work with three other dudes that never place Illustrator files in an imposition. I think they get annoyed by the fact that I do at times. Am I going wrong somewhere?

I don't really see a big difference other than xtra steps need to place the art into ID make a pdf or place the Illy file in the imposition sheet . . . that is of course the art board size is correct. (rarely have I seen one the right size and with the bleeds set correctly) you could run a crop mark script on the illy file if you use them for post production where you could include them with the pdf you generate to place . . . . but if the original Illy file is multiple boards saved as a pdf . . .whats the difference?

The difference is how much time it takes to impose a big job. If I stick to the Illustrator file (set up with correct art board size and bleeds) I can do the imposition faster. If I make an individual pdf of each art board it's going to take longer. Then if the customer supply's new Illustrator files I would have to make Individual pdf's all over again. Everybody wants it done fast these days. Saving time counts.

I would have thought that you would be using the WF RIP to auto nest/impose loose submitted files, rather than imposing “up front” in InDesign and then sending down the data pre-imposed as a large PDF or PS print stream.

Stephen Marsh

AFAIK when you place the ai file what you are placing is "the pdf compatible part" generated when you save as .ai
not sure if this has any bearing on color management? Stephen will know
When you save a change to the multiple artboard illy file I take it that all the artboard placements need updating in InDesign, also whilst you are familiar with the layers to switch on/off your colleagues run the risk of setting these differently. Its tricky to come up with no-risk workflow if you are imposing with InDesign.

I would have thought that you would be using the WF RIP to auto nest/impose loose submitted files, rather than imposing “up front” in InDesign and then sending down the data pre-imposed as a large PDF or PS print stream.

Steve you make a good point with "auto impose". There are many of our jobs that could be auto imposed. Couple reasons why we don't.

1) We use a lot master layouts that have plot (cut) files associated with them
2) Estimating has predetermined how many of what are to go on a form (we have to follow there layouts)
3) Vutec operators are reluctant to do math

Qbot,

Steve you make a good point with "auto impose". There are many of our jobs that could be auto imposed. Couple reasons why we don't.

1) We use a lot master layouts that have plot (cut) files associated with them
2) Estimating has predetermined how many of what are to go on a form (we have to follow there layouts)
3) Vutec operators are reluctant to do math
How about having a solution of "Estimation to Print Ready PDF/JDF" in one step with an option to chose existing (master) layout. Explore www.insoftautomation.com OR write to me at [email protected] We need 1-Up PDF as input.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back