Preps doesn't generate correct pdf

printPlant

Hi
i have a problem in preps v6.3 when i imposed any job in preps; preps generate imposed pdf for me. Xitron rip only show images in (CMY) and did not show images in black color. it shows only text and other vector graphics in black color but when i put this pdf in Adobe Illustrator remakes pdf from pdf printer then i riped it again xitron rip it shows the correct color seperation.

my question is where is fault Xitron or Preps?

Last edited:
Can you view the Preps imposed pdf in any version of Acrobat Pro before it goes to the Xitron? That would answer if the fault is with Preps or beyond.

Al

What PDF version is the Xitron RIP capable of handling and what PDF version is Preps saving out?

Can you save out of PS file rather than PDF? What is the result in the Xitron RIP?

As Preps has such a wide user base, I have a feeling that you may need to change the title of this topic thread as the issue is most likely not with Preps.

Stephen Marsh

What PDF version is the Xitron RIP capable of handling and what PDF version is Preps saving out?

Can you save out of PS file rather than PDF? What is the result in the Xitron RIP?

As Preps has such a wide user base, I have a feeling that you may need to change the title of this topic thread as the issue is most likely not with Preps.

Stephen Marsh

PDF Compatibility:
Acrobat 3.0 (PDF 1.2)
Acrobat 4.0 (PDF 1.3)
Acrobat 5.0 (PDF 1.4)
Acrobat 6.0 (PDF 1.5)
Acrobat 7.0 (PDF 1.6)

Xitron Accept type(s):
Auto-detect types
Any PDF <=1.7 as basic PDF
Any PDF /X-1a
Any PDF /X-3a or X-1a
PDF /X-4, or any X-3 or X-1a
PDF /X-4p, or any X-3 or X-1a

I have set the option for pdf "Acrobat 7.0 (PDF 1.6)"

PDF Compatibility:
Acrobat 3.0 (PDF 1.2)
Acrobat 4.0 (PDF 1.3)
Acrobat 5.0 (PDF 1.4)
Acrobat 6.0 (PDF 1.5)
Acrobat 7.0 (PDF 1.6)

Xitron Accept type(s):
Auto-detect types
Any PDF <=1.7 as basic PDF
Any PDF /X-1a
Any PDF /X-3a or X-1a
PDF /X-4, or any X-3 or X-1a
PDF /X-4p, or any X-3 or X-1a

I have set the option for pdf "Acrobat 7.0 (PDF 1.6)"

It was not clear to me from your reply to Al, in Acrobat Pro, does the image have K in it or does it match the RIP with only CMY?

Has Preps and Xitron ever played nicely? Is this just a recent issue when in the past images had CMYK not just CMY?

If the PDF is wrong in both Acrobat Pro and the RIP, then you have big problems! You may need to explore different PDF versions and or using PS from Preps as a short term work around.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
It was not clear to me from your reply to Al, in Acrobat Pro, does the image have K in it or does it match the RIP with only CMY?

Has Preps and Xitron ever played nicely? Is this just a recent issue when in the past images had CMYK not just CMY?

If the PDF is wrong in both Acrobat Pro and the RIP, then you have big problems! You may need to explore different PDF versions and or using PS from Preps as a short term work around.

Stephen Marsh

does the image have K in it or does it match the RIP with only CMY?
Yes

Has Preps and Xitron ever played nicely?
Yes

Is this just a recent issue when in the past images had CMYK not just CMY?
Sometime played well but sometime wrong separation.

If the PDF is wrong in both Acrobat Pro
Acrobat shows images in CMYK.

RIP,
doesn't show K in the images.

A RIP issue then.

Is the Xitron an Adobe PDF Print Engine (APPE) licensed RIP, or is it using it's own proprietary PDF processing technology?

If you need to process PDF, then start going backwards one PDF version level at a time to see if this resolves the issue. Last resort would probably be PS.

If you have Acrobat Pro, then you could try to see if that can help by performing a save as. Or perhaps a Print Optimizer step. Or perhaps running a PDF/X fixup or something else that may perhaps modify the PDF that would make it work correctly with the RIP. This would be more productive and handle the data better than remaking the PDF by opening the impo into Illustrator and printing to some PDF printer etc.

See if there are any hotfixes or support notes listed at Xitron.

With luck another user of the same RIP can help.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back