Presstek file prep help

banjoman

Our pre pres person left with the military and now we have a new person, my boss, trying to figure it all out. He knows indesign and photoshop and used to send files on our old imagesetter but we are still having trouble getting the presstek files in the right position. we have the momentom rip and he uses indesign for layout. There is confusion on applying an offset amount to the job that will get it in the center of the sheet for a tumble. can anyone shed light on this or is there a piece of software we can get to make this easier to get right, it would be nice if I could view it after it is ripped and know for sure it is in the center or I could move it where I need it.

banjoman in NC

I do not know anything about the presstek, but in a pinch, couldn't you create an Indesign file the size of the plate, and then center the image on that... That way you should be perfectly centered.

or grab one of your old plates....and measure from the edge to where the copy starts...then compare that to it's original file...that should give you your offset. Just throwing stuff out there...some of it should stick!!! ;)

.17 comes to mind, it's been a while but as the last poster suggested i believe it's the grip margin.

.17 comes to mind, it's been a while but as the last poster suggested i believe it's the grip margin.

Thats what first came to mind. We have a Presstek 5034 DI and I know its a 9mm (.35433") gripper. Your sounds like a different press because your burning plates on a platesetter. Its much easier to take it off the imposition if you can that way you can easily center all your work.

Prepress for the DI

Prepress for the DI

The DI press images jobs .35'' (9mm) back from the lead edge of the sheet, this is due to the gripper margin.

If your running a 12 x 18 sheet build your inDesign file 12 x 17.65 (Sheet size - .35")

This formula will center a job for a work & tumble on the DI press
Paper height – .70" (gripper x 2) = work area
Center the pages within the work area starting from the lead edge of the sheet.

For a 12 x 18 sheet your center line in your document will be 8.65" from the lead edge. From there center your pages.

Attached is a document that illustrates this.

For a jump start there are templates available for download from this link: http://www.revbase.com/TagTeam/link.asp?id=1F3FFA15

Attachments

• Prepress for the DI Press R2.pdf
    362.5 KB · Views: 237

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back