Prinergy 3.1 Workshop on OS-X 10.5 and 10.6

JorisJ

Hello, we are trying to get Prinergy Workshop to work on either OS-X 10.5 or 10.6 and seem to run into some problems.

Menu items don't show and keyboard shortcuts do not work
We solved this by installing Java 1.4.2 and in the preferences in OS-X set this to the version being used. This made the menu and keyboard shortcuts work again

Screen Refresh lagging
We solved this by copying the original JavaApplicationStub from /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/MacOS into the Workshop.app Contents\Mac OS

Jobs folder
So far so good but the only thing not working yet is the connection to the JOBS folder on the server. Double clicking on a file does not open a PDF and on the left bottom going to visit the home directory of the job also fails. Checked our Java logs on the Mac and get the error "Unable to mount share. Exception Raised". We can mount the drive on Mac 10.5 and 10.6 but Workshop can't see it.

We changed the \etc\otherhosts file on the Prinergy Server and listed our server as
"Prinergy"="PRINERGY" and then under network visible directories
NtHost="PRINERGY"
"Jobs on prinergy F" = "AraxiVolume_PRINERGY_F"

Then rebooted the server.

Both the Clients on 10.5 and 10.6 still do not see the drive/file or directory opening from Workshop fails. It all does work on our other Mac Clients using 10.4. We just bought a few new systems and want them to also being able to use Workshop.

Any advice, tips, hints? Is the otherhosts file case sensitive? Do spaces needed to be \u coded? I am aware we need to upgrade Prinergy sometime but for now would like to have it work with version 3.1. Maybe tips for making version 4 or 5 work on (Snow)Leopard also apply to 3.1

Joris

I hope someone has some pointers and can post them here. We tested the refresh some more and its lagging less as we noticed there still is a lag so now & then. Would really like to get the server drive connection to work with the otherhosts file or any other solution.

Joris

Am looking into the server problem and see a difference when installing on OS 10.4 and 10.5/10.6. The logfile Worksshop_InstallDebug.log shows additional lines on the 10.4 install using the same installer. This might be the reason it does not find the server on 10.5/10.6 as lines below are NOT in my install log on those systems?

Joris

Code:
Loading externalized properties
================================ query registry ================
propertiesFile: /Volumes/WkspInstall/MacOSX/Disk1/InstData/WorkshopInstaller.app/Contents/Resources/../../../../../../ServerInfo.properties
substituteVariables: false
ignoreProperties: 
overrideVariables: true
SERVER_TYPE: prinergy
Setting $SERVER_TYPE$ to prinergy
Verifying...
iap.getVariable($SERVER_TYPE$): prinergy
PREPS_LICENSED: false
Setting $PREPS_LICENSED$ to false
Verifying...
iap.getVariable($PREPS_LICENSED$): false

You are trying to run Workshop 2 versions old on the latest Mac OS?

This ought to be fun. ;-)

yup, trying to... got quite far but the server/file connection not working is the hold-up. Read online that version 4 and 5 users are having the same problem with Snow Leopard 10.6 so thought to give it a go.

Joris

Oh, am wondering if there are any newer workshop versions than 3.1.0.3 that still runs with Prinergy 3.1.0.3? Maybe the slightly newer versions work with 10.6 Snow Leopard? I am talking about the OS-X Client only.

Joris

Found out that the install through SMB instead of AFP of the workshop is slightly different if I look at the logs. However, no difference in the user interface connecting to Prinergy Server. We are trying more with the otherhosts file but have not fixed the issue yet. Would have hoped somebody posting some tips. I heard this Leopard/Prinergy issue is also with versions 4 and 5 so not specific with the version 3 we are using. Anyone?

Joris

This is the error in the java log files of our Mac Client running in OS-X 10.5. Did a disk permission repair first and it did fix some permissions in the java library but to no avail.

Anyone?

Joris

Code:
Fri Jan 22 11:56:00.966 CST 2010 [AWT-EventQueue-0] P6 Unable to mount share.  Exception raised: String index out of range: -44
UWSP_EventExceptionHandler_FatalSystemError.WasLogged(): false
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -44
	at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1444)
	at com.creo.araxi.UPLT.UPLT_FileSystem.GetShares(UPLT_FileSystem.java:144)
	at com.creo.araxi.UPLT.UPLT_LocalFileLocation.findMountName(UPLT_LocalFileLocation.java:288)
	at com.creo.araxi.UPLT.UPLT_LocalFileLocation.Mac_ToLocalPathName(UPLT_LocalFileLocation.java:270)
	at com.creo.araxi.UPLT.UPLT_LocalFileLocation.convertToLocalPathName(UPLT_LocalFileLocation.java:194)
	at com.creo.araxi.UPLT.UPLT_LocalFileLocation.<init>(UPLT_LocalFileLocation.java:112)
	at com.creo.araxi.UJCK.UJCK_JacketToolFrame.DoOpenJobFolderInFileBrowser(UJCK_JacketToolFrame.java:832)
	at com.creo.araxi.UJCK.UJCK_JacketToolFrame.HandleUnhandledMenuEvent(UJCK_JacketToolFrame.java:710)
	at com.creo.araxi.UWSP.UWSP_MenuHelper.HandleMenuEventUsingFocusChain(UWSP_MenuHelper.java:1795)
	at com.creo.araxi.UWSP.UWSP_MenuHelper.actionPerformed(UWSP_MenuHelper.java:1705)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1819)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1872)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:420)
	at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:258)
	at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:321)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(BasicMenuItemUI.java:1113)
	at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(BasicMenuItemUI.java:943)
	at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5166)
	at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:4963)
	at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:1613)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3681)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1671)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3543)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:3527)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3242)
	at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3172)
	at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:1657)
	at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:1623)
	at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:3543)
	at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:480)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:234)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:184)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:178)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:170)
	at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:100)

Based on "string index out of range," I would check if there's something about the name of the share or server it doesn't like (length of the name, unconventional characters, space at the end, etc.).

What operating system and subversion/service pack no. is running on the machine serving the shared volume?

Thing is that under 10.4 (running on most of our machines in prepress) all works fine connecting to the same server. We're running the same version of Java, only thing different is the Mac OS, we have two newer machines with 10.5 and 10.6 and both do not want to connect to the server opening a file (PDF view) or opening the home directory of the job. Servers can mount in OS-X naturally but won't be seen by the Client.

Prinergy version is 3.1.0.3 and system is Windows 2000 (5.00.2195) with SP 4.

Joris

Last edited:
If you can access everything okay with Finder, it sounds like the client software may be establishing a connection using its own means independent of your local file system. If you can point the client to a local directory instead of a remote server with an IP address, try using /Volumes/<share name> after the share is mounted by the OS. If the connection is dependent upon IP traffic other than by simply using your OS-provided path to the mounted share, could there be a firewall issue? Type "sudo ipfw show" in a Terminal window to see if there are any firewall rules on the client, and check the system application-based firewall (which I'm not too familiar with).

When a 10.4 client is connected and in the process of accessing files both with Finder and within the Prinergy client, choose Start>Run on the Prinergy server, run fsmgmt.msc, then check the sessions category (it doesn't always refresh the way you would expect, click back and forth between sessions and shares to update). Are there two concurrent sessions from the same client machine?

Hello Kyle, thanks for your reply. I checked the ipfw with terminal and both 10.4 and 10.5 show "allow ip from any to any" as a result so no firewall is blocking.

As for the fsmgmt.msc session check, both 10.4 as 10.5 show me logged in as one session only. This we figured out to be the Open Volume that is mounted on the server through our Mac. It also shows up if I manually mount the server volume and have the client software not running.

I am pretty sure it is the client having it's own protocol connecting the logged in server to the local directory that is mounted and that is where it goes wrong. Didn't apple change and even drop the way it connects through appletalk starting with Leopard? Beginning to think that is the problem why it does not work. We tried with a direct IP number in the otherhosts file but that did not make it work.

Joris

Last edited:
If your client program is accessing the share by a more direct means than using the OS mounted volume, I would expect that you would see multiple sessions active on the server - although I can't think of any software that does this so I haven't actually seen that behavior.

There are security settings for shares on Windows that can cause problems for Mac clients (usually older ones). I've attached a screenshot of the settings in gpedit.msc, with the relevant settings highlighted. Try running gpedit.msc and match these settings, then reboot the server. This probably isn't the issue though, as you are having trouble with AFP also. Can you post the error log you receive when connected via AFP?

Also check to see if there is any difference at all as compared to the 10.4 machines within Finder. E.g., in the relevant directories, do you have the same ability on both to list, add, rename, copy and delete files and subdirectories?

Attachments

• gpedit settings.jpg
    gpedit settings.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 274
Thanks for the tip, we'll check some of our server security settings. As for the finder, only difference we really see is that under the general tab, Server: its shows my user login name before the IP number on the afp drive in 10.4, it does NOT do that in 10.5. Also see Sharing and Permissions are different. Can't seem to change those so guess that is set at the Prinergy Server. Will have to see how to access and change these settings. I can however copy, erase and all on the server drive in 10.5, as also in 10.4 so no difference there.

Am wondering what is the lowest version of Prinergy Server users have successfully connected to using Leopard or Snow Leopard client software?

Joris

Try copying all of the files to a local directory, then point your client there and see if it works. This obviously isn't how you want to get things done, but it would divide the problem.

We tested the gpedit.msc settings but no change there. Kyle, which files do you mean with copying all of the files to a local directory?

Joris

Help needed

Help needed

I have 10.6.4 (new imac)
prinergy 3.something
reinstall java 1.5
reinstalled java 1.4 (work)

from you :
Menu items don't show and keyboard shortcuts do not work
Work great, thanks !

Screen Refresh lagging
Work great, thanks !

Jobs folder
DONT WORK !

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back