Prinergy 8 Client Connection Issue

lostmind

Hi all! I’m hoping you have a solution for this. They moved the Prinergy Server to another area and tried to use a switch to add more computers to the port. Everything worked fine up to the point of starting the Client. The Workplace software reads “Server determining” and “checking for updates”. After about 5 minutes, it changes to “Server <unknown>” and the checking for updates changes to login. However, I try to login and it says I’m not synchronized. Any thing I can try?

Can you ping the Prinergy server from the client machine?
I am able to access the server with no problem and see all the files. Also my Preps and VPS work. Just not the Client. I know I can ping the Prinergy server from the other server. (I run both Prinergy and EVO). I also installed the Workplace Client on a PC other than my Mac and got the same problem. I just keep getting the sync error.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    634 KB · Views: 48
I am able to access the server with no problem and see all the files. Also my Preps and VPS work. Just not the Client. I know I can ping the Prinergy server from the other server. (I run both Prinergy and EVO). I also installed the Workplace Client on a PC other than my Mac and got the same problem. I just keep getting the sync error.
Edit the host file to include the Prinergy server, then shutdown, restart, and cross your fingers.
v8 had many connection issues.
We would run for weeks and suddenly drop on a machine.
YMMV

Edit the host file to include the Prinergy server, then shutdown, restart, and cross your fingers.
v8 had many connection issues.
We would run for weeks and suddenly drop on a machine.
YMMV
What do you mean the “host file”? (Pardon my ignorance.) Where would that be?

What do you mean the “host file”? (Pardon my ignorance.) Where would that be?

Windows:
Add the primary server to the hosts file of the Windows client computer:
Use a text editor to open C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS .
Add a line that identifies the server's IP address and name, in this format:
<IP address><host name>
where <IP address> is the IP address of the server
where <host name> is the DNS name of the server
Save and close the file.
Do not accidentally add a file name extension, such as .txt .

Mac:
Add the primary server to the hosts file of the Mac client computer:
Log on to the Mac client computer with an administrator account.
In Finder, click Go > Utilities.
Double-click Terminal.
In the Terminal dialog box, type sudo nano /etc/hosts
If you are prompted for a password, type your password.
Add the IP address of the Prinergy primary server in the following format:
ip hostname
Press Ctrl+X, press Y to save your changes, and press Enter to save the file in the /etc folder.

Oh okay. I wasn’t quite clear on what that meant but I did on quite a few occasions have to go into the Terminal utility and fix it whenever a “glitch” such as power outage changed the IP address on me. I never had the problem before when the computers had static IP addresses as opposed to them switching to DHCP. Either way, it didn’t fix the problem. I can however, run Workplace on the Prinergy server with no problem other than the inconvenience. Just wish the Client on the Mac can sync with the server….

Oh okay. I wasn’t quite clear on what that meant but I did on quite a few occasions have to go into the Terminal utility and fix it whenever a “glitch” such as power outage changed the IP address on me. I never had the problem before when the computers had static IP addresses as opposed to them switching to DHCP. Either way, it didn’t fix the problem. I can however, run Workplace on the Prinergy server with no problem other than the inconvenience. Just wish the Client on the Mac can sync with the server….
Yup. There could be any number of reasons, unfortunately. I remember a Samba v1 option on Macs that might have helped.

Kodak had tough choices.
The old license software/model was a real PITA.
So they switched to a local/server model and tried to "do away with" the standalone version in favor of annual licensing.
So v8 was a transition version and we had many license problems - not that the old v6 didn't. hehe. v7 was the 'safest' licensing as long as you changed nothing, ever.
YMMV

Really don't understand this...it asks you to synchronize with the server, yet if you click yes, all it does is reinstall the Workshop Client FROM the server??? There's no other options....

Attachments

• Insync.png
    Insync.png
    90.1 KB · Views: 28
Really don't understand this...it asks you to synchronize with the server, yet if you click yes, all it does is reinstall the Workshop Client FROM the server??? There's no other options....
That is correct, the client needs to be the same version as the server, if it's not, then the client needs to be updated to the server version, this is what it means by synchronisation.We had a situation a few years ago where one particular Mac would always say it was out of sync with the server, I think we had to mount the Prinergy volume first, then run the client.

That is correct, the client needs to be the same version as the server, if it's not, then the client needs to be updated to the server version, this is what it means by synchronisation.We had a situation a few years ago where one particular Mac would always say it was out of sync with the server, I think we had to mount the Prinergy volume first, then run the client.
That could sometimes fix it.

Another thing to try: using the ip address at Workshop login. We have found that some Mac workstations like the proper name of the Prinergy server at the Workshop login, and other Mac workstations like the ip address.

Another thing to try: using the ip address at Workshop login. We have found that some Mac workstations like the proper name of the Prinergy server at the Workshop login, and other Mac workstations like the ip address.
Yeah, tried that but it did the same thing.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back