Print Embellishment w/ Spot UV

Family owned print shop looking into purchasing a raised spot UV machine. Looking into the Duplo 810 heavily. Does anyone have any experience with this machine, or any others that specialize in this sort of print embellishment? Trying to add onto the value added equation and further differentiate us from the competition.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback!!

Just to explore all options, you may also want to look at the JetVarnish 3D One by Konica Minolta as part of your decision making process. This unit is made in partnership with MGI who is one of the pioneers of print embellishment. Prior to this unit, they only had much bigger units that also had foiling inline. They scaled that tech down into a smaller unit to compete with the Duplo 810. However, it is faster (35ppm vs 21ppm, A3), it holds twice as much paper in the feeder, and it produces a thicker varnish (116 microns vs 80 on the Duplo).

I used to sell KM production gear and I wish they had this unit when I was still there. The bigger versions we offered often ruled us out as an option based on price and/or size of the machines.

Just to explore all options, you may also want to look at the JetVarnish 3D One by Konica Minolta as part of your decision making process. This unit is made in partnership with MGI who is one of the pioneers of print embellishment. Prior to this unit, they only had much bigger units that also had foiling inline. They scaled that tech down into a smaller unit to compete with the Duplo 810. However, it is faster (35ppm vs 21ppm, A3), it holds twice as much paper in the feeder, and it produces a thicker varnish (116 microns vs 80 on the Duplo).

I used to sell KM production gear and I wish they had this unit when I was still there. The bigger versions we offered often ruled us out as an option based on price and/or size of the machines.
Thanks JWheeler!!
Interesting that my sales guy (a KM dealer and partnered up with another dealer) has yet to offer this model at all!! We like the Duplo model in that it provides a relatively cost-effective model to get us into the market. Do you know how the two models compare in price? I have heard great things about the 810, but I am doing my due diligence. We have a lot of boutique and wine shops around my area that I believe would eat this stuff up.

@Ethan V , not all KM dealers are authorized to sell the MGI product line. Their techs have to be certified in working on them since they are a different animal compared to digital copiers. You will probably have to reach out to KM direct. As for the pricing, the JV 3D One came out after I left KM, so I don't know the exact numbers. However, my understanding is it is comparable because they are trying to compete with the Duplo unit. The cost of monthly service and supplies is something else worth considering.

We have a lot of boutique and wine shops around my area that I believe would eat this stuff up.

I thought the same thing about 5th color when it first came out, boy was I wrong. I would make sure you have solid path to sales before taking the leap.

I thought the same thing about 5th color when it first came out, boy was I wrong. I would make sure you have solid path to sales before taking the leap.
Ricoh 7200 with 5th color? We looked long and hard at that, decided that near line would get us better results... Not worked well for you?

I definitely agree with this. You should already be outsourcing a consistent amount of this work or losing bids because you can't do it in house. Business won't just start pouring in because you have the ability.

If/When you do acquire the machine, here's a great way to market it and get the word out to existing accounts: Every order that comes in, have your staff make 2 or 3 extra prints with raised spot UV somewhere on the page. Put those in a box attached to a flyer that says "We can add this awesome effect for only 3¢ more per piece! Call ### to find out how!"

You'll also want to have a great sample book at your front counter to show customers examples and ideas. You can order a sample kit from GotPrint, ZooPrinting, or 4Over if you want something pre-made.

Ricoh 7200 with 5th color? We looked long and hard at that, decided that near line would get us better results... Not worked well for you?
Ricoh 7110, back in 2015. Had it all these years since and other than for in house work it has not sold well to our customer base, but know of others that sell it well, just depends on your market. It really is the same with any embellishment, you will need to explain it to customers and hope they want to pay the extra $$$ for it.

I definitely agree with this. You should already be outsourcing a consistent amount of this work or losing bids because you can't do it in house. Business won't just start pouring in because you have the ability.

If/When you do acquire the machine, here's a great way to market it and get the word out to existing accounts: Every order that comes in, have your staff make 2 or 3 extra prints with raised spot UV somewhere on the
Ricoh 7110, back in 2015. Had it all these years since and other than for in house work it has not sold well to our customer base, but know of others that sell it well, just depends on your market. It really is the same with any embellishment, you will need to explain it to customers and hope they want to pay the extra $$$ for it.
Ahh... I see. Yes, I would imagine it would fit our customer base extremely well, and we do a fair amount of outsource embellishment. I love @jwheeler's comments regarding the sample kit and providing an extra sheet so the customer's have to choose to say no to the embellishment, not the other way around ha. The texture and feel is very impressive. What really blows me away is the software, ease of use, and the synergy with our print controller. Super automated and easy to understand, realistic to test/create the samples at a reasonable material/labor cost. All about providing value and finding ways to differentiate yourself from the competition. Heck, anyone in town can print a CMYK file!

Looking for an alternative to our thermographer since we are trying to get away from offset. Any alternatives for raised print that would work with uncoated stock?

Looking for an alternative to our thermographer since we are trying to get away from offset. Any alternatives for raised print that would work with uncoated stock?
The units mentioned in this post would NOT be what you're looking for. The specifications on the brochures state that it's recommended to use coated or even laminated paper. The liquid will soak into uncoated sheets. Plus, the cost per print would make your thermo cards too expensive.

In my experience, people who still get thermo business cards do so because that's just the way it's always been. You might consider showing them a variety of options such as digital full color on a few different stock choices, along with UV coated, matte coated, or silk finish prints. Explain how you can do these 'premium' options for the same, or close to the same pricing. Gang run trade printers like 4Over do these for incredibly low prices that you can mark up if you can't do in house already.

We are an inplant at a large department within the 10th largest county in the US. The county itself used to have it's own inplant that provided thermo cards for all of the other departments within the county. When that inplant shut down a few years ago, many of the departments came to us to do their business cards, and we could only offer digital printing. Not one had an issue with it. I'm sure there could be some hold-outs in your customer base, but the majority would probably be happy to make the switch if you sell them on the new stuff and explain to them the old methods are fading away.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back