Print to PDF Driver that embeds fonts for MS Word

Neon Bible

I have customers using Microsoft Word and Publisher.:confused:

I would like to have them install a PDF Print Driver so they can print to a PDF file and then send to me.

A. I want a driver that will embed or outline the fonts for the pdf they send me so it is print ready. Most drivers I found don't embed the fonts so a driver that can embed the fonts is what I am looking for.

B. I then can not place a pdf with embedded fonts into Illustrator with out font substitution issues if I don't have the local font installed loacaly.

One of the members posted a loop hole with instructions and a video of how to convert to outlines in Acrobat using transparent watermark which I found helpful before placing in illustrator as a band aid fix.
How to convert fonts to outlines

As a Screen Printer, I dont know a lot about any automated pre flighting tasks or hot folder work flows. I am contracting all of my offset printing out to a commercial printer, but I am looking to learn how and to automate the whole process and make it easy for my customers that are not graphic designers that have quick printing needs.

Any suggestions, recommended drivers, plug in software or educational info on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Not all fonts are allowed to be embedded for legal reasons. Just so you know.
Have you tried enfocus instant PDF? Also if you can find someone with an EFI online printing, you can sneak up a word or I think even a publisher and grap the PDF that is for validation, it should have all the fonts ;)

I've had many a problem with clients printing from Microsoft software.

I've found a good free driver on the internet, it's called CutePDF. I haven't had any problems with files created with this driver, I can't say it will always work in every scenario but so far so good with embedded fonts.

CutePDF - Create PDF for free, Free PDF Utilities, Edit PDF easily;.

Download the free driver and install on your windows machine and see what happens.

Good luck
Jackie

B. I then can not place a pdf with embedded fonts into Illustrator with out font substitution issues if I don't have the local font installed locally.

Why are you placing the customers PDF into Illustrator? Illustrator is not a PDF editor. If you want a way to edit PDF's I would suggest Pitstop from Enfocus.

@Neon Bible
As pcmodem pointed out your steb "B." is going to be the big problem.
I would look into doing separations from PDF rather than Illustrator. I love Illy so it's not that, just that you are asking it to do what it was not made for. Illy does as you say want the fonts installed. (And that because if you are in illy you are in a creation program and not an output program.)

Maybe you should look at outputting from a PDF program like Acrobat (with or without pluggs) or Neo

For Office 2007 there is a free Microsoft PDF plugin that does decent job of font embedding when you pick PDFX/A.
It is separate download due to legal issues with Adobe (apparently Adobe wouldn't let them save PDF by default or something).

For Office 2007 there is a free Microsoft PDF plugin that does decent job of font embedding when you pick PDFX/A.
It is separate download due to legal issues with Adobe (apparently Adobe wouldn't let them save PDF by default or something).

I don't know what you are referring to, but this plugin has been a part of the standard installation with Office 2007 SP1 and later. It must not have been ready for the original release, so they shipped it separately. It is also included with Office 2010 as well.

I'll second the recommendation of CutePDF. Been using it with customers for a while and it's worked well. The only thing about it and several other free PDF print drivers is that they use the Ghostscript library which is going to change the name of your fonts within the PDF. The font data remains the same, but it may be difficult to figure out the exact name of the original font, and it certainly won't match up with the original name in Illustrator.

This isn't a problem for printing, but as others have mentioned will be an issue if you try to use Illustrator as a PDF editor. Pitstop and Acrobat Professional are a much better tool for this.

Shawn

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!

I have customers using Microsoft Word and Publisher.:confused:

One of the members posted a loop hole with instructions and a video of how to convert to outlines in Acrobat using transparent watermark which I found helpful before placing in illustrator as a band aid fix.
How to convert fonts to outlines

Wow!

I extract content from PDFs all the time but have always been stymied by missing fonts. This is a lifesaver! :p

...But in Acrobat Pro 9 it seems the watermark step is no longer necessary.

I don't know what you are referring to, but this plugin has been a part of the standard installation with Office 2007 SP1 and later. It must not have been ready for the original release, so they shipped it separately. It is also included with Office 2010 as well.

You are probably correct now Leonard, I just remember at the time it was an issue as evident from numerous news sites and blogs like this one:
Microsoft delivers 'Save as PDF' add-on - CNET News
or
Export and Save Word or Excel Documents as Acrobat PDF or XPS Files Directly from Microsoft Office 2007 with Add-in » My Digital Life

Microsoft has released a free download that will enable Office 2007 users to save documents in both Adobe Systems' PDF format and Microsoft's own rival format, XPS.
The add-on works with the different planned versions of Office 2007, which is now in beta testing and expected to be made generally available by the end of the year.
According to the release notes of the download, people can save a document or send an e-mail attachment in PDF or XPS format.
Both formats are designed to keep layout consistent for viewing and printing.
The Save as PDF feature, announced last October, prompted Adobe to threaten to file an antitrust complaint against Microsoft in June.
In response, Microsoft changed its plans and decided to offer the feature as a separate download rather than have it included within Office 2007.
Microsoft executives have said that Save as PDF was one of the features most requested by its Office customers.

Read more: Microsoft delivers 'Save as PDF' add-on - CNET News

The Office PDF plugin works most of the time

The Office PDF plugin works most of the time

You are probably correct now Leonard, I just remember at the time it was an issue as evident from numerous news sites and blogs like this one:
Microsoft delivers 'Save as PDF' add-on - CNET News
or
Export and Save Word or Excel Documents as Acrobat PDF or XPS Files Directly from Microsoft Office 2007 with Add-in � My Digital Life

FYI, I've had mixed results with this plug-in. When the PowerPoint has embedded Excel charts and other effects, sometimes I have to Save As PDF and also Print to a PDF driver, open both the resulting PDFs in Illustrator, and reassemble my image from parts. Each one may fail to render different parts of the image and save them as bitmaps instead.

details on request.

PDF driver that will embed fonts from Microsoft word

PDF driver that will embed fonts from Microsoft word

I have used the product from fineprint called pdffactory. It is the only one I found to do the job. It worked for me when dealing with Arabic fonts in word.

It never failed and I was able to refine them in prinergy for prepress production.

Do note, when using a "Printer Driver" style document to PDF process, make sure you change "Use Device Fonts" to "Embed Fonts" in the Advanced Options so it may embed the non-copyrighted fonts. Usually by default it will be not embeded. This seems to be an issue primarily for Windows machines.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back